Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: new to me 00 540i with inoperable Alpine system.

My Cars
    00 540i

new to me 00 540i with inoperable Alpine system.

Just as the title says, I have recently bought a 2000 540i that appears to have a high end Alpine system that doesn't want to work. It will power up and I can enter some of the functions but I get no sound and really any response. The typical response I get from the head unit if I try to enter a menu or setup option is function not available while vehicle is in motion. Yet, I'm sitting parked with only the key on and engine off. I'm not really sure where to start as the Alpine system is very advanced compared to what I've dealt with in the pass. I've verified that the parking brake sensor is getting ground but that doesn't help. I'd appreciate any guidance in either getting it working or verifying it's bad so I can replace it.

My car came with options S609A, S640A, S676S, and S694A.

The main components in the system are monitor TME M740BT, Navigation NVE N872A, disc changer DHA 5690, and the Alpine Ai unit along with a few converters or integration modules. I'm not entirely sure what function those perform since I'm not sure how the car's stereo system is designed ie analog or CAN.

Thanks

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

I think you have the old 'Vehicle Hub/Pro' type setup which was as you say, quite high end back in it's day. There's no way of telling exactly what's wrong as it's not possible to see the wiring and how it's connected or not connected. I'd suggest looking at all the model numbers for the other modules and see what they are etc. You could then have a local reputable car audio installer take a close look and check everything is connected properly and have it working, assuming none of the modules are now faulty/non working. Or, perhaps verify they work, remove it all and sell on and replace with a modern upto date Alpine double DIN or another brand Double DIN, so you only have one 'box' to fit in comparison to what you have now.

Alpine will be releasing in the next month or so in the USA their latest shallow depth iLX-W650 head unit which is Android Auto and Apple Carplay.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    00 540i
    I appreciate it, Dennis. My thoughts were to visit an audio shop as well. I like to do things myself though so I figured I'd give it a shot first.

My preference really is just to have a simple radio that fills the dash and plays music. I can handle getting the amps and speakers integrated to a radio. Wouldn't mind being able to keep the CD changer too, but that's no big deal if not.

Thanks

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

What would be the ideal head unit for you? a Single DIN or Double DIN? a car PC? one of the chinese replacement type units?

The OEM CD changer isn't supported directly by aftermarket options, however if you do go the cheap chinese unit's route, then there's an app you can purchase along with the Resler Interface and once setup it can control the cd changer and display the OBC data which is important to many. It's just that these chinese unit's are hit and miss for everything about them. I don't think any of the premium brand head units are able to run that App, but I might be wrong and an Android Auto unit does support it and works.

Cheers, Dennis!
    Last edited by DennisCooper; 02-21-2019 at 11:08 AM.

My Cars
    00 540i
    I would probably go with a double DIN so it fits the dash better if I end up having to change. I don't need or want anything fancy. iPod, MP3, and bluetooth inputs would be great. The car has an Alpine CD changer so that's what I was referring to when I said maybe integrate it as well.

Thanks Dennis

Trey