Thread: E38 1999 740IL possible purchase

My Cars
    2000 528I

E38 1999 740IL possible purchase

Hi all, I know this question has been bounced around many times but I am wondering if I should buy a used E38 740IL. The car has about 135,000 miles. Many of the users on this forum have mentioned it happens to be one of the best handling cars. I know the Engine has many issues when it comes to the 4.4 in general.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    Quote Originally Posted by BECKBMW View Post
    Hi all, I know this question has been bounced around many times but I am wondering if I should buy a used E38 740IL. The car has about 135,000 miles. Many of the users on this forum have mentioned it happens to be one of the best handling cars. I know the Engine has many issues when it comes to the 4.4 in general.
    I sell you my car its a 99 with timing chain done and has 133XXX and car is well taking care of
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    95 740i, 92 ACSchnitzer
    To the OP, I'd go with franco90. It's better to buy a used car with a history and having an enthusiast owner always helps. I have never seen his car.
    Lets get the party started before it's my bedtime.

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by BECKBMW View Post
    An e38 is fine so long as your prepared to take care of it. If you don't have the time or skill to work on it, then you need to be prepared to pay someone else to work on it. They are a pleasure to drive and enjoy, but you can't expect Honda Civic reliability out of it.

Even low mile examples need work. I have two e38s and both have a hug stack of service receipts from the previous owners starting after 40k. Failed timing chain guides is the most expensive and work intensive common issue, second maybe to transmission issues. They do have other issues, but much less severe and much less costly.

I dunno if I would say they one of the best handling cars, but if you spend a lot of time on the highway, they soak up those miles pretty easy.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    I sell you my car its a 99 with timing chain done and has 133XXX and car is well taking care of
    Do this.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayorchuck View Post
    Do this.
    Yep, buy one from somebody here, cars here are usually better maintained.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by KinkedChrome View Post
    They are a pleasure to drive and enjoy, but you can't expect Honda Civic reliability out of it.
    I respectfully disagree with that. Really depends on the car, mine is an outlier for sure cause I basically replaced everything what I touched to new... but it really has now a "Civic reliability", well at least an 18 years old Civic's reliability
    My point is that you can fix it up or buy one at a level where it's almost as reliable as a new car. Of course you won't be able to get such for the usual $3,000 price. I think the best buys are the well maintained ones at around $6,000-$9,000 range with every typical issues fixed by previous owner. The cheaper it gets the worse deal is (not always, but typically).
    It has way too many and expensive parts if you start from a neglected phase, talking from experience.

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by georgebest View Post
    I respectfully disagree with that. Really depends on the car, mine is an outlier for sure cause I basically replaced everything what I touched to new... but it really has now a "Civic reliability", well at least an 18 years old Civic's reliability
    My point is that you can fix it up or buy one at a level where it's almost as reliable as a new car. Of course you won't be able to get such for the usual $3,000 price. I think the best buys are the well maintained ones at around $6,000-$9,000 range with every typical issues fixed by previous owner. The cheaper it gets the worse deal is (not always, but typically).
    It has way too many and expensive parts if you start from a neglected phase, talking from experience.
    Perhaps reliable was the wrong word. I have never once thought my e38 would let me down, but its has cost me 100x in time and maintenance over my old civic. Although i do enjoy it 100x more.

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    LOL What was I thinking I just waiting for my high flow throttle body, high flow air flow meter, cold air intake all from Dinan.
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    740iL (E38 '01)
    Quote Originally Posted by KinkedChrome View Post
    Perhaps reliable was the wrong word. I have never once thought my e38 would let me down, but its has cost me 100x in time and maintenance over my old civic. Although i do enjoy it 100x more.
    Very true It is not an economical choice for sure.

but if you spend a lot of time on the highway, they soak up those miles pretty easy.”

so true.. you can cruise at 1800 rpm’s and do 80mph all day long!

I might sell my 01 in the spring, send me a pm and I can give you all the details. I’m close to Boston.