Thread: Bmw e39

My Cars
    BMW E39 Oxfordgrün II

Bmw e39

Hi! Everybody.
    I'm a newbie here, and I'm glad to be part of this family!
    Today I need some advice about a 2001 BMW e39 Oxfordgrün II Oxford Green 430 I just purchase today, it is a 523i, I know some of you will say I should of purchase a 525i or above, at this time this is the only BMW e39 at a price I can afford and in very good shape in Dominican republic. I've always love BMWs this is my favorite brand but I was stock with other brand that I could afford at the time. So now I would like to know what should I expect from this car in term of reliability where to source cheap parts and so on. I've read about this car on other forums but they are dated thread, and I don't really find any info about the 523i engine etc... I almost forgot to mention that my E39 is the German version not USA.
    Thank you in advance for your help....

My Cars
    1997 BMW E39 525i
    Hi, I drive 523i aswell.
    It's a smooth engine, there's a much bigger supply of 523i's than 525i's because it was an entry model.
    525i is more powerful and effortless, of course, but if you think you will feel you made a wrong choice, you won't.
    Practically they are both 2500 ccm but there is a cpu difference if I'm right, haven't done a lot of research.
    What I can tell you is that it is a reliable engine, it's a detuned version of 525i, so it keeps the refinement of the straight six.
    If yours was maintened properly and if it's well equipped, you found a jewel. It has good power if you don't compare it to the more powerful versions

In my experience, I had some minor issues with the atf oil container, just dont fill it up with more than half.
    And put on sport suspension because car feels like a heavy boat on stock suspension. Mine's on sport suspension, drilled discs and bigger calipers.
    Other than that, I have nothing else to mention.
    Good luck!

My Cars
    BMW E39 Oxfordgrün II

Thank you for replying. You are right the car feels heavy, I was a little bit worry earlier I found out the previous owner cut the springs, I was looking under the car because in my way home I was hearing some clanking noise and that was the reason, and I'm wondering what else he did to the car? the car is so clean no faulty code no sign of coolant spill nothing.
    Also while I'm here I was looking on some thread whether I should change the transmission oil or not, the previous owner never do so and the car have on the OD 99k of millage! should I do it and what type of oil is recommended? mine is a zf tiptronic if I'm not wrong. forgive me if I sound like an idiot I don't know everything and I want to learn as much as possible on the car since I'm the one who's going to do all the repair and maintenance.
    Again thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by carlitosway359 View Post
    Hi, I drive 523i aswell.
    It's a smooth engine, there's a much bigger supply of 523i's than 525i's because it was an entry model.
    525i is more powerful and effortless, of course, but if you think you will feel you made a wrong choice, you won't.
    Practically they are both 2500 ccm but there is a cpu difference if I'm right, haven't done a lot of research.
    What I can tell you is that it is a reliable engine, it's a detuned version of 525i, so it keeps the refinement of the straight six.
    If yours was maintened properly and if it's well equipped, you found a jewel. It has good power if you don't compare it to the more powerful versions

In my experience, I had some minor issues with the atf oil container, just dont fill it up with more than half.
    And put on sport suspension because car feels like a heavy boat on stock suspension. Mine's on sport suspension, drilled discs and bigger calipers.
    Other than that, I have nothing else to mention.
    Good luck!

My Cars
    BMW E39 Oxfordgrün II
    Thank you for replying. You are right the car feels heavy, I was a little bit worry earlier I found out the previous owner cut the springs, I was looking under the car because in my way home I was hearing some clanking noise and that was the reason, and I'm wondering what else he did to the car? the car is so clean no faulty code no sign of coolant spill nothing.
    Also while I'm here I was looking on some thread whether I should change the transmission oil or not, the previous owner never do so and the car have on the OD 99k of millage! should I do it and what type of oil is recommended? mine is a zf tiptronic if I'm not wrong. forgive me if I sound like an idiot I don't know everything and I want to learn as much as possible on the car since I'm the one who's going to do all the repair and maintenance.
    Again thank you! d8b36091-28c9-4629-8cc0-ccd801370e39.jpge965fb1e-b1e4-489f-a784-e3572d4d2fe2.jpgf2e42418-4b44-4d30-866e-bf1b62e58fe4.jpg8f3973ba-d696-4b2a-b364-fa345376077e.jpg

My Cars
    1997 BMW E39 525i
    Yes, it is a big car. I used to own two e36's, and then i switched to e39. It was so weird at first, then I replaced the suspension, made sure it brakes good and I have to admit it's a different car with those two things.

Alright, about the transmission fluid, you should change it every 60,000 miles, that's around 100,000 kilometers.
    My advice is that you leave your car to a mechanic and tell him to check everything, due to cut springs and, and if he didn't change transmission oil, maybe your previous owner didn't change anything. And I give you green light for zf (y)
    You don't sound like an idiot, I'm new to the forums too. Maybe you should check this thread, it covers anything related to e39: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...tions-(FAQ)***
    Car looks awesome and actually taken care off Hard to find them stock-ish like this

52602982_10205166886567669_4231049279168315392_n.jpg
    Here's mine. Re-painted 2 months ago

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved from the General BMW Discussion sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    BMW E39 Oxfordgrün II
    Thanks for the advice, I'll check the link.

And your car looks good too!
    Is it a le mans blue or same color as mine?
    the picture is a little dark....

My Cars
    1997 BMW E39 525i
    It's morgenblau-metallic. First e36 was bostongrun and second was hellrot