Thread: 95 oil filter housing variations?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i

Angry 95 oil filter housing variations?

Hey guys, first post here. So I have quite an odd issue that I need some information on. Yes, I have done tons of research regarding the subject (weeks worth of research), and have gone into a BMW dealership near me numerous times, to the point where they now know me on a first name basis LOL. So anyways, I recently bought yet another e36, and when I picked it up the guy informed me of a leak from the oil filter housing gasket. No big deal right? Easy fix, 4 hour job max. WRONG. I replaced the gasket, and it didn't resolve my issue. So I then spent some time pressure washing and tracing the exact point of the leak on the unit. Freeze plug leak, great. If you aren't aware, the freeze plugs on the pre-facelift models are non-serviceable, so I had to replace the whole unit. Again, no big deal, because I have a couple parts cars handy, one of which is another 95' 325i with a good condition housing so it SHOULD'VE been an easy swap. Little did I know, after pulling both housings out and comparing them to make 100% sure they were compatible, I noticed what looked like a black plug in the unit off of the 36 I was fixing, which was nonexistent on the one off of the parts car.

I could find absolutely no information on the web regarding this exact circumstance so, I went to BMW (at this point I had already gone in for various seals and crush gaskets since the unit was in and out of the car at least 3 times prior), with both housings in hand, and had numerous techs try and figure out why this is. They informed me that the housing off of the fix car had a hydraulic lift in it, which is what that "black plug" is, and the one off of the part car didn't. They didn't exactly inform me why this is, but based off of an educated guess, I'm assuming that this is due to BMW updating their housing technology for the facelift models (as the housing changed for the '96 model year), and they released a handful of test mules to make sure their newfound idea was suitable. I happened to stumble upon one of these mules. Again, this is not confirmed information, just my own personal intuition. Anyways, after receiving this information I got my part number based off of my cars VIN and ordered a new housing from FCPeuro. Well, it came in today, and its the old housing design, they sent me the wrong unit or gave me an incorrect part number.

This issue is dragging on at this point and I just want this car on the road, so if anybody could direct me to where I could find one of these pre-facelift hydraulic housings, or give me some more information regarding this circumstance, that'd be great. Thanks guys.

My Cars
    03 525it/5, 1967 GTO
    I own a ‘94 M50 car and have never heard of a “hydraulic lifter” in the OFH (sounds like dealer tech b.s.) And my oil filter housing has serviceable freeze plugs that screw into the back without o-rings. I’ve read of some owners using epoxy to seal the original pressed in style plugs after replacing the o rings, perhaps yours has that and looks like a black plug on the exterior?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Yeah the unit i ordered had the hex style serviceable plugs. The "black plug" I was describing is a back flow valve embedded in the internals of the unit (flush with the housing gasket). I've heard of the epoxy trick before and I'm considering it. I'm going into BMW again today to see if they can trace one of these in between units I've been describing and if they can't, epoxy it is. Hoping I won't have to resort to that due to the risk involved with DIYing it. Wish me luck!