Thread: E34 facelift to preface column

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25

E34 facelift to preface column

So hi.
    Since no one here in Norway could answer me, I thought it would be smart to ask here.
    I've recently "retrofitted" a preface steeringcolumn since i had an E34 with airbag and wanted a M-Tech 1 steering wheel.
    I also fitted the correct ignition switch for the year, but I can't really get it to work properly. It works in the first position, where only the radio turns on.
    But when i turn in to second position nothing happens and the cluster is black. I can get the ignition going and turn the engine over in the middle of second and last position but it won't start or keep the ignition where all the lights stays on (what??)

Seems like the wiring to the ignition switch from pre-1992 E34s is different from after 1992?

The fitted column comes from an 1990 E34 525 and i got a 1994 E34 520 fitted with an M50B25 vanos.

Really hope you fellow E34 owners over the sea could help

My Cars
    various
    Well there are 3 different clusters also. Not sure how this would relate to your issues. Are there wiring differences between columns?

While you are the first one I've seen here to swap an older column, I'm sure someone here may be able to help.

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    Quote Originally Posted by zubbie View Post
    Well there are 3 different clusters also. Not sure how this would relate to your issues. Are there wiring differences between columns?

While you are the first one I've seen here to swap an older column, I'm sure someone here may be able to help.
    520s over here got the lo cluster. So only 2 connectors. Should do no difference to the ignition switch though. The only difference from pre 92 and after 92 is that the ones after 92 no longer has a locknut but a bolt and the upper part is thicker than pre 92.

Anyways the pre 92 ignition switch i got has one more contact, which the after 92 does not have. But in the connection under the dash there is also a pin for the contact in the ignition switch. Seems pretty hopeless for now so I'll probably just have to drive around and try to explain everyone why i start my car with a flat headed screwdriver. :P

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    US-market wiring diagrams show no difference in ignition switch wiring between a 1990 car and a 1994. The same pins with the same colors do the same things. RealOEM shows a different part number for <9/90 ignition switches than 9/90+. The latter is further different for cars "with electric adjusting" (column, I asssume?) than without.

My guess is the switches are physically different, electrically identical, and your new (older) one is defective.

Recommend you download the wiring diagrams (section 0670.2), find a multimeter, and verify that whatever switch you have in there connects the right pins at the right time.

My Cars
    E34 520 m50b25
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    US-market wiring diagrams show no difference in ignition switch wiring between a 1990 car and a 1994. The same pins with the same colors do the same things. RealOEM shows a different part number for <9/90 ignition switches than 9/90+. The latter is further different for cars "with electric adjusting" (column, I asssume?) than without.

My guess is the switches are physically different, electrically identical, and your new (older) one is defective.

Recommend you download the wiring diagrams (section 0670.2), find a multimeter, and verify that whatever switch you have in there connects the right pins at the right time.
    Found my self the answer and yes, you are right too.
    The part i bought from the BMW shop here was defect. So I just stole my friends ignition switch. Bet he won't get use for it anyways as he crashed his...
    Kinda funny how a new original part can be defect. But shit happens I guess.