Thread: Heater problem 2012 335

My Cars
    335 F30

Heater problem 2012 335

About two years ago my thermostat crapped out and I replaced it. 10 months later it went again and BMW made me bring them the car so they could replace it. About two months ago the heater stopped working so I took it to my new local dealer, Escondido BMW, since I moved in the fall of last year. They insisted it was the battery, I insisted it wasn't. They insisted it had nothing to do with the t stat. But I knew there had been some battery issues with the car so I went ahead and let them replace it. The heater worked for a few days and crapped out again. The temp gauge worked fine at this point.

I took it back and asked them to fix it. They had it for ten days and told me I owed 30% or the repair cost, $135. I went in and asked why that was the case when I had provided them receipts that the stat was within the warranty period. They said I hadn't provided the original receipt. That was true, but I had provided the warranty paperwork from the first BMW dealer showing the date I had purchased the original t stat, along with an invoice number. I was more than a little pissed that they refused to accept this and made me call Center BMW and get a copy of the original receipt, a 30 second process they could have easily have done instead of arguing with the factory over who would be paying what. I asked what was the issue. The stat. Well, no sh$t.

Hop in my car the next day, no heat. Drive it for two hours straight, it starts to heat up around 90 minutes in, but never gets hotter than about 50*. I drive through the mountains to get to work and it's been in the low teens. Makes for a cold drive and I'm really starting to get upset. So, new stat, cooling system is full and has been bled. They tell me they flushed the system twice while they had it apart. What should I be looking at or pointing them to since they can't seem to find their ass with a mirror on a stick?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    I've seen a few clogged heater cores cause that same issue. But, the heater valve isn't immune to failure either.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    There is no heater valve.

Clogged heater core. It's not uncommon on E90's, and apparently it's the same issue on the F3x's
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician