Thread: E39 Navigation Issue

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab

E39 Navigation Issue

I have a 2003 525iT with the stock DVD navigation system in the back. Had been working fine forever until this recent deep freeze in the North East last month. May be unrelated to the cold, but who knows.

I don't often use the Nav system as an iphone is leaps and bounds ahead, but it's sometimes nice to have a map up on the screen. Last time I tried to bring up the map I got a "Please wait a moment" message and a back button.
    Another day I decided to see just how long waiting a moment was, and left the screen up. It sat for the whole drive asking me to wait.

Anyone else seen this issue? I'm thinking of pulling the fuse and seeing if the whole system will reboot.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    I'd suggest first trying a power re-set (disconnect ground wire from battery). But first wait for the red power light on the nav computer to extinguish.

As another suggestion, update the firmware in your Mk4 nav using an update disc. And then, purchase the final 2015 maps off eBay (about $25).

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Hi,

Do try the above aspects and things to try. I'd say you might still get issues with the maps if you purchase a fake/counterfeit disk as it's a known issue that backup or copied disks sometimes don't allow the laser within the GPS computer to read them properly. Genuine disks when swapped in do work reliably and consistently, so it's something for you to be aware of.

Also, over time and increasingly so nowadays, the OEM modules within the audio system fail more often and each module has multiple points of failure and of course, being a BMW, the fixes/repairs/upgrades are relatively expensive, so keeping the OEM setup fully working will eventually cost you a significant amount.

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    2000 528it
    Had similar problems in my 528it, went with a replacement radio. Ordered the Sony XAV-AX100 and accompanying install kits from Crutchfield. This particular unit does not support Sirius Radio or CDs, but many other units do. My goal was to support ApplePlay (also Android Play); basically projects many Apple/Android apps, including Goggle Maps, onto a 5” touchscreen. Works like a champ. Handles Audible for books/podcasts, music in your smartphone, etc.

The kits and mounting instructions from Crutchfield really helped the install along. I gave up on the interface connecting the steering wheel buttons, never could get the unit to interface with the BMW electronics. All other functions work well. Technical help is available by phone and I used them several times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk