Thread: Brake light and DSC light on - Scan codes posted in thread

My Cars
    17 F80 M3 Comp, 02 Z3

Brake light and DSC light on - Scan codes posted in thread

Our 2002 Z3 2.5 has it's brake light and DSC light illuminated. I scanned it with a C110+ and received the following:

3 error codes (2 known) but this one seems to indicate a brake light switch issue:
    27 DME :Plausibility, signal brake light

I then scanned the ABS module with the 20 pin and it displayed the following. Does anyone know if this is simply showing the part it scanned, or is this an error? I can't find this part number online:

Brake lights work fine. If the brake light switch was faulty wouldn't they either not work at all, or be stuck on?

Thanks for the help!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Billan; 02-22-2019 at 12:47 AM.

My Cars
    2001 3.0 Z-3 RD'STER
    https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=501786 Try this link. Remember almost any topic can be found if you click on search thread and type in what you're problem might be. BTW I had your same problem and is was the rotational rate sensor located under drivers seat. A new one is very pricey. I Found a used one. There are many salvage yards and almost always someone parting out their Z3. Hope this helps. Good Luck.
    Last edited by MORRIE; 02-20-2019 at 12:02 AM.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    The pictures don't show for me.

You need to replace the brake light switch. One f its two sets of contacts is broken, most likely the one that sends the brake signal to the DME, so the brake lights will be working OK.

I can't help with the ABS module fault until you provide the error code information.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Second pic doesn't show an error... I think? Not sure what that is. It might be worth the time to install INPA for diagnosis:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2184573-The-Z3-Diagnostics-Thread-Instructions-Experiences-Discussions-Experimentation

I also had the brake light and DSC light up recently (2002 3.0). It turned out to be one of the brake pressure sensors (error 5E20). But it could be a lot of things, so you need to try to pull up the actual error. You might try checking the DSC section (rather than ABS) to find the error.
    Last edited by raubritter; 02-20-2019 at 06:04 PM.

My Cars
    17 F80 M3 Comp, 02 Z3
    Okay, thanks for the info! I think I finally got the images to show up (tried a different host). I will try to get the INPA software to work again, I used to have it on a very old laptop that died. I don't recall a DSC scan in the C110+ handheld tool.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Change your brake light switch with a new genuine one. It may solve your DSC issues.

Also, you should change your bank 2 precat oxygen sensor. Actually, it may be best to change both precat sensors.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    17 F80 M3 Comp, 02 Z3
    OEM brake light switch ordered, I will let you guys know if it fixes it. Thanks!

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Good luck!

For anyone who searches and finds this, it might help to know that there are a number of sensors involved in the DSC system: 4 wheel speed sensors, 2 brake pressure sensors (under brake reservoir), the brake light switch (at brake pedal), yaw sensor (under seat), steering angle sensor. Then there's the DSC module itself. And the wiring and connections between the module and sensors. So if the DSC, or DSC+brake light comes on in the dash there are a number of possible issues. The ABS could also be involved, but I think the ABS light on the dash would light in that case.
    Last edited by raubritter; 02-26-2019 at 12:21 PM.

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0, '73 450 SL
    So if the DSC, or DSC+brake light comes on in the dash there are a number of possible issues.
    I caused this to happen last weekend - finished a front end rebuild with tie rods installed but the steering wheel off center. DSC did not like it when I drove down the street. I had the car aligned yesterday, steering angle fixed and was surprised to see the DSC + Brake lights extinguished without an INPA reset. The alignment tech said he did not reset anything.
    Brad Cushman
    2002 Z3 3.0
    1973 450 SL
    1967 Camaro SS/RS

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I believe that the C110+ scans DSC/ABS specifically, you should check to see if you can get codes directly from that module.
    What you posted above is only from engine module, DME.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    17 F80 M3 Comp, 02 Z3
    Installed the new brake light switch but it didn't resolve the issue. The DME plausibility, signal brake light error is gone but the brake and DSC lights are still on. I did find a new error tonight when I scanned the ABS module as recommended by "328 Power 04". I received a steering angle sensor error. Out of everything that could be wrong I believe this is the hardest to fix right? Pretty sure the steering column has to come out to replace this sensor correct? Interesting thing is that the wheel has been slightly angled when straight for a number of years. Maybe it needs an alignment like cushjbc said?

I'm going to try and get the Inpa software loaded up and see if it tells me anything different. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell the computer that the steering angle is good at the new value?

My Cars
    S54 e36/8; Tesla MY LR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Billan View Post
    Installed the new brake light switch but it didn't resolve the issue. The DME plausibility, signal brake light error is gone but the brake and DSC lights are still on. I did find a new error tonight when I scanned the ABS module as recommended by "328 Power 04". I received a steering angle sensor error. Out of everything that could be wrong I believe this is the hardest to fix right? Pretty sure the steering column has to come out to replace this sensor correct? Interesting thing is that the wheel has been slightly angled when straight for a number of years. Maybe it needs an alignment like cushjbc said?

I'm going to try and get the Inpa software loaded up and see if it tells me anything different. Does anyone know if there is a way to tell the computer that the steering angle is good at the new value?
    No, this should be easy to fix with INPA. I had to replace my ABS module on my e39 M5 and the final steps were to align the ABS sensor to the DME (if I recall correctly) and after doing so, I had to calibrate or do something to the steering angle sensor. After I clicked enough buttons and did enough alignments, new ABS module was in and all the lights were off.

If you don't have INPA set up (for anyone reading this thread), take a few hours, find an old computer, and get it set up. It's a life saver.

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    You're posting the welcome screen to the DSC module. It doesn't have any error data, that's just the first screen that pops up when you enter the module. If you press OK you should then see the option to read codes. But, if you have the C110 connected to the inside OBD port you cannot access the DSC module; for this you need a 20pin to OBD adapter and use the engine bay port. The inside port only carries engine ECU data, the other 6 modules are accessible only via the BMW port underhood.

That code is 99% the brake light switch.