Thread: New to Me 1992 850i in Rhode Island

My Cars
    1992 850Ci

New to Me 1992 850i in Rhode Island

Hi Folks,

My name is Zeke and I recently came into possession of a European spec 1992 850Ci with a six speed manual. Roight now it runs very well but I will do some elective maintenance and upgrade a couple of things. Here’s the story.

My father had the car for the past 26 years. The car lived in France and was a supplemental car - so it has very few miles. It’s in great shape and everything works as original except the displays on the radio and car information system. Many pixels are dead. The body and paint are very, very good. It has been well maintained, driven regularly, and lived in the same garage the whole time. My dad is now 83 years old and cannot get in and out of it comfortably. So he gave it to me on two conditions: I had to get it to the US (I live in Rhode Island) and I cannot sell it. It arrived here in November. I’ve buffed it, waxed it, and driven it a total of 1,000 miles since November.

Upgrades and Maintenance:
    I saw the Clarion 850 build and I liked the M-Par wheels on it. So I have ordered a set and they should arrive next week. 8Jx18R with 245s in front, 9.5Jx18R with 285s in back. Also, the Wokke chip set arrived today.

While I believe the car was well maintained, there are a couple of things I want to pursue. First, the idle is poor until the engine has warmed up for 3-4 minutes. After that, it idles and runs perfectly. I suspect leaking intake gaskets. Also, all suspension bushings are original. So I’m hoping to replace them and get a slight improvement.

I wonder about evaluating the condition of the shocks and struts. I don’t want to blindly throw parts at the car but I do want the suspension as healthy as I can get it. Once again, I suspect it’s completely original.

I’ve never turned wrenches on a car so much of this is new to me. I’ll be asking questions and keeping all of you informed as I get the car squared away.

Zeke

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Plugs

Pull and inspect your plugs, you might get an idea of which cylinders are off. Cheap and easy

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Wow, great gift! Welcome to the family.
    1993 850Ci.....18 years & 165,000 miles and counting!

My Cars
    1992 850Ci
    Thanks RJ. I’ll try the plugs.

Ted - thanks for the welcome. I’ve been driving the car for 25 years... it just wan’t my responsibility to keep it healthy until now!

Z

My Cars
    1992 850Ci
    Here’s a photo for the curious. As we say on another forum I use, “pictures or it didn’t happen.”

AB2A39EB-2E47-498E-A664-04FF72B0546D.jpg

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Welcome to the E31 Family.

Here is what I would recommend. These are all pretty easy for first time wrenchers:

If you have not done so, change:
    1. Engine Oil + Filter
    2. Transmission Oil (redline MTL) - If you are new to wrenching, this is fairly straight forward. Always remember to make sure you can loosen the TOP fill plug first before opening the bottom drain plug. I have known of people who open the bottom drain plug only to find out that some gorilla put in the top fill plug and they cannot get it loose. Then you are up a creek without a paddle so to speak.
    3. Rear Diff Fluid - same steps as the transmission oil
    4. Fuel Filters (there are 2) - they easily unbolt and are located in front of the driver's side rear tire underneath the car
    5. Radiator Fluid (also check the plastic fill tank - if white change it NOW)
    6. Check all belts and hoses

Regarding the idle, it may just be that the car has not been driven. Before doing anything else, put a can of SEAFOAM in the gas tank and drive the car. Sometimes it is amazing what it can do for a rough idle.

There are other things you can do, but the above will give some reassurance a car that has not been driven much.

Good luck, and ask questions - we are all here to help, and there are no "dumb" questions.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1992 850Ci
    While I'm new to cars, I work around light planes all day so I'm familiar with general maintenance principles and engine operation. But in aviation we have much tighter controls and less choice in many respects. So the freedom of working on a car is new to me. That said, I really want to do this right.

The car has been driven consistently and maintained by the local BMW dealership. I just don't think they did elective maintenance like replacing suspension bushings pro-actively. Everything works (including the rear sun shade, the seat warmers, and everything else. There are no warning lights on the panel and the engine, suspension, and general operation feel normal. I just want to tighten things up and make the car as close to new as I can. There is one small rock chip on the hood, a small scratch on the hood, and one scratch on the rear bumper. Otherwise the paint looks nearly perfect.

Once the engine warms up for 3 minutes the idle smooths out and the car drives perfectly. And if I shut down and re-start while it's still warm, it idles well. So it appears to be related to head temp.

I've done the oil and filter. It was a little dark but nothing horrible.

I'll definitely change the fluids you mention. And the spark plugs that were previously mentioned.

You mention Redline MTL. There are a bunch of variations available. Is there a specific weight? About how much does the transmission take?

For the rear diff, what fluid does it take? Same as transmission?

Where can i find a service manual for the car? I know I've seen a parts manual online but I don't remember where?

Radiator fluid - is there any magic to this? Any brand that is clearly better? Anything to steer clear of?

Is there a manual that has the specifications on all of the standard servicing fluids? And typically replaced parts?

Thanks,

Zeke

My Cars
    E30
    Hi Zeke! Here is another website and the largest bummer org in the US www. Nccbmwcca.org. I belonged to it before I moved. We have a fantastic DIY program. Ck out website and reach out to the community. You will have you questions answered. If you can take a trip to MD/VA/DC area and meet the guys/ Gals at the DIY shop. MT '89 E30

My Cars
    94 Euro BMW 850CSi 892
    Welcome to our great Family Zeke. I suggest you also become a member of Socaleights, BMWCCA/E31 chapter and facebook's 840/850 world owner's association to gain access to a massive global ownership circle and information about our cars. It's a great community, which has grown more and more for every year. Also, if you wish to see some 8-series films and BAT auctions, visit my company (Car)tiology Films. http://www.cartiologyfilms.com/club-8-series/
    Beautiful car you have. Love it in Red.

My name is Alec Cartio and I'm an E31 addict.
    Board Member of SoCalEights (Marketing, Web Development & Social Media), Vice President: BMWCCA/E31 Chapter, www.cartiologyfilms.com
    Current E31s:
    1997 BMW 840Ci Black on Beige. CSI 62, 107 and 16. Euro-CSi #892.
    Client Represented E31s (Cartiology Films)
    1994 BMW 850CSi #11 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #31 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #58 USA
    93-850Ci - manual 6 speed. 97-850Ci - M73 Steptronic. 94-CSi 125, 95-CSi 162 Daytona Violet, CSi 198 White on Red
    Past E31s:
    1991 BMW 850i. Calypso Red on Beige Nappa and 1995 BMW 840Ci. Bright Red on Beige Nappa
    1997 BMW 840Ci. Black On Black Nappa, but changed to Dakar Yellow on Black Nappa and 1994 BMW 850CSi #27. Red On light Silver.
    1991 BMW 850i. Automatic. Red On Black and 1996 BMW 850Ci. Automatic. Midnight Blue on Gray.
    1994 BMW 850CSi. Black On Blak #107, Black/Black 97-840. White/White CSi. Silver/Silver 97-840

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Welcome!

If I were a betting man, I would say that your idle issue at cold are the intake manifold gaskets (also known as isolators), are probably the original ones and are starting to leak air. You can check when the car is cold. Start it up, and spray some carb cleaner at the base of the gaskets and heads, if you hear the engine RPM increase, that is the culprit. It is a slightly involved job, but not that bad. Depending on the condition of the gaskets, you can probably clean them and use a high-temp RTV (REINZOSIL is what we use) to seal those surfaces. Should be good as new after that.

When you have a couple of minutes, you will want to join the E31 Chapter of the BMW CCA:

www.bmwccae31.com
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    '91 850i, E39 & E46 Cars
    Hello, Zeke - and welcome to the world of E31!

Here is a link to the factory workshop manual:
    https://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/721en/index.htm

Engine coolant - I use genuine BMW coolant in all my BMW's and have done so since 1999 and have not had coolant related issues.
    I agree with ROGBMW regarding the replacement of white coolant overflow tanks- after all these years they become brittle and crack at the most inconvenient times. I would also check the date code on your radiator and if 10 years old replace it. Heat cycling causes the plastic side tanks to get brittle and crack. I've seen the upper hose outlet completely sheer off - that was scary!

My Cars
    1992 850Ci
    Henry,

That’s good information/advice. Thanks.

I’ll be back at the car this weekend so I’ll check your suggestions as well as those of everyone else.

Thanks,

Zeke

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Zeke, signup and come to Spartanburg for Sharkfest and help celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the E31. It is the end of April.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    Welcome to the E31 family. Perfect color I recently joined myself.

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95