Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 32

Thread: 2019 F1 Testing

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport

    2019 F1 Testing

    Could use a thread for 2019 Testing.

    So far Ferrari seems pretty strong, even Mercedes has said so! Good signs, but I'm not going to let myself get too optimistic, as I'm sure Mercedes will be right up there with them by race 1..


    Saw a rumor on FChat reference Williams, from a member there that has had reputable information in the past. This was his quote:

    "(Williams) Won't be at testing tomorrow. Car is rumoured to be 2 seconds slower than their car last year...which was the slowest."

    If this is true, which we should see pretty soon, I believe Williams will need to start over from top to bottom. Fire everyone. Then pray to God you can steal some talented minds from other top teams to design the car and run day-to-day operations.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    3,026
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Could use a thread for 2019 Testing.

    So far Ferrari seems pretty strong, even Mercedes has said so! Good signs, but I'm not going to let myself get too optimistic, as I'm sure Mercedes will be right up there with them by race 1..


    Saw a rumor on FChat reference Williams, from a member there that has had reputable information in the past. This was his quote:

    "(Williams) Won't be at testing tomorrow. Car is rumoured to be 2 seconds slower than their car last year...which was the slowest."

    If this is true, which we should see pretty soon, I believe Williams will need to start over from top to bottom. Fire everyone. Then pray to God you can steal some talented minds from other top teams to design the car and run day-to-day operations.
    If its 2seconds slower, Paddy Lowe should just resign and eith him the rest of the design team.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Location
    Posts
    7,437
    My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    I was really planning to pay little attention to the upcoming season, already hooked though.
    Social media weaponizes blandness - Sebastian Junger

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    If its 2seconds slower, Paddy Lowe should just resign and eith him the rest of the design team.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I don't see how they can allow this level of ineptitude to continue for another full season. They did say this offseason that they were going all in on radical designs etc, but to not make it to the first days of testing...?


    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    I was really planning to pay little attention to the upcoming season, already hooked though.
    Any reason you weren't in on this season? I've been more excited for this year than many years past. New aero, hopefully improved reliability from all engine manufacturers... I don't expect the field to be any closer after the 2nd/3rd race, or the racing to be substantially better, but one can dream


  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    I K E A
    Posts
    627
    My Cars
    ЛАДA
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    If its 2seconds slower, Paddy Lowe should just resign and eith him the rest of the design team.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I place the blame on Claire. Between she and Paddy only one has any record of success.
    yay

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    3,026
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post
    I place the blame on Claire. Between she and Paddy only one has any record of success.
    But Paddy is the technical boss, he is the one in charge of technical development and design schedules (one of the reasons the car was late) Claire supposed to oversee and find funds (which is IMO why PLowe is behind...)
    Don't understand why Williams don't get stuff from Merc like Force India, too much pride?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    But Paddy is the technical boss, he is the one in charge of technical development and design schedules (one of the reasons the car was late) Claire supposed to oversee and find funds (which is IMO why PLowe is behind...)
    Don't understand why Williams don't get stuff from Merc like Force India, too much pride?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Other than the engine, what other stuff can they legally get from Mercedes? I know people said the Haas was essentially a Ferrari replica, but were they actually just buying Ferrari factory parts or copying their design?


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    3,026
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Other than the engine, what other stuff can they legally get from Mercedes? I know people said the Haas was essentially a Ferrari replica, but were they actually just buying Ferrari factory parts or copying their design?
    Maybe transmission, rear suspension, maybe some money...

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    Maybe transmission, rear suspension, maybe some money...

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That's what Haas bought from Ferrari??

    If so, good for them for skipping all the R&D baloney and going straight for the known product, probably cheaper that way lol


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    U.S.A
    Posts
    346
    My Cars
    E92 M3,SL63 AMG
    Ferrari look strong, looking forward to leclerc burying the thug. Merc will be up there as usual

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    3,026
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    Ferrari look strong, looking forward to leclerc burying the thug. Merc will be up there as usual
    We shall see in Melbourne, right now it is testing, no one shows the real performance

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    I K E A
    Posts
    627
    My Cars
    ЛАДA
    Quote Originally Posted by VĒmp View Post
    Ferrari look strong, looking forward to leclerc burying the thug. Merc will be up there as usual
    looking forward to leclerc burying merc
    yay

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Quezon City, Philippines
    Posts
    503
    My Cars
    '89 535i/5, '88 735i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    Don't understand why Williams don't get stuff from Merc like Force India, too much pride?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Pretty much. Remember that they're Williams Engineering. If they just pick up parts from their rival engineers that does that tell about them?

    Merc and Hamilton are just playing mind games again saying how "very, very strong" Ferrari is at the moment. I wouldn't judge until Saturday evening at Melbourne.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    If it's truly pride then they deserve to flounder at the back before eventually failing.


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Now that testing is complete, take aways?

    No drama between the Ferrari drivers, Charles seems very mature and has realistic expectations. I cannot wait to see him in live action this year!


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    3,026
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Now that testing is complete, take aways?

    No drama between the Ferrari drivers, Charles seems very mature and has realistic expectations. I cannot wait to see him in live action this year!
    One more week of testing is left. Then we will probably see the real pace. My guess Ferrari, Mercedes, and RedBull are still top dog. Then Alfa, Renault, Hass, Racing Point, TRosso, and Williams.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    One more week of testing is left. Then we will probably see the real pace. My guess Ferrari, Mercedes, and RedBull are still top dog. Then Alfa, Renault, Hass, Racing Point, TRosso, and Williams.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Wwwwttttfffff

    I'll blame my lack of sleep on not knowing that

    I would agree with your assessment, although I would love to see Haas and Renault flipped, and same for Torro Rosso and Racing Point.

    McLaren about Williams should round out the bottom.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ryan M3; 02-23-2019 at 06:27 PM.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    3,026
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Wwwwttttfffff

    I'll blame my lack of sleep on not knowing that

    I would agree with your assessment, although I would love to see Haas and Renault flipped, and same for Torro Rosso and Racing Point.

    McLaren about Williams should round out the bottom.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    I do hope McLaren pace keeps up or is real. Williams is really 2 seconds behind....

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    I do hope McLaren pace keeps up or is real. Williams is really 2 seconds behind....

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    If they don't improve drastically to at least be competitive with the next in line, do they pull the plug after the year?

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk


  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    3,026
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    I would guess they woukd fold or be taken over by a manufacturer

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  21. #21
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    I K E A
    Posts
    627
    My Cars
    ЛАДA
    From the commentary on Autosport's youtube channel, between Merc and Ferrari, it sounds like the Ferrari has the most well prepared car aerodynamically. And someone was saying Red Bull could be on par with Merc? Cautiously hopeful. There must be no chance in hell, but I would loooove to see that. Very impressed with the Honda engine this past week.
    yay

  22. #22
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    I K E A
    Posts
    627
    My Cars
    ЛАДA
    Rumor has it Williams has been dealt another blow as mirrors and front suspension were deemed illegal by the FIA...

    Can't find any reputable sources on it yet.
    yay

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxx View Post
    Rumor has it Williams has been dealt another blow as mirrors and front suspension were deemed illegal by the FIA...

    Can't find any reputable sources on it yet.
    Saw that on PlanetF1 or Crash.net last night as well.

    Not much else one can say about that team, other than "sad"


  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Yonkers, NY and Argentina
    Posts
    3,026
    My Cars
    1998 528i 5speed Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan M3 View Post
    Saw that on PlanetF1 or Crash.net last night as well.

    Not much else one can say about that team, other than "sad"
    On Autosport youtube channel tgey had a feature on the williams. Specially the front upright and steering knuckle design. Something like the upper arm was raised and therefore the knucle had to extend up and out, and could be viewed as movable aero.....
    It's 2 seconds slower, can't be that much of an advantage.....

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    e30 325i, the mighty 4 door granma mobile....Gone
    e39 528i, 4 door sports tank

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wis'cansin
    Posts
    504
    My Cars
    07 Range Rover Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonkers320is View Post
    On Autosport youtube channel tgey had a feature on the williams. Specially the front upright and steering knuckle design. Something like the upper arm was raised and therefore the knucle had to extend up and out, and could be viewed as movable aero.....
    It's 2 seconds slower, can't be that much of an advantage.....

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Good point

    If they had to scrap the entire car right now, start from a clay mold concept, you'd expect a team with that kind of heritage to be within at least 3 seconds of the pack, right?


    Good news is, if they continue floundering they can probably make some money back by selling their car to a Formula 2 team looking for a mid pack competitor


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2010 F1 testing starts
    By Hugo in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 10:15 AM
  2. F1 Testing Barcelona *PICS INSIDE*
    By wcbimmr328 in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 04-18-2008, 10:22 PM
  3. F1 Testing at Sepang
    By feisaldz in forum Professional Motorsports sponsored by Bimmerworld
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 07:44 PM
  4. Renault f1 test drive INSANE!!!
    By coolcarlski in forum Track, Auto-X & Drag Racing sponsored by Bimmerparts.com
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •