Thread: Another Odo stuck at 999,999!

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3

Another Odo stuck at 999,999!

I just picked up an '01 740iL from an older gentleman. The car now has a 999,999 readout on the odometer allegedly since he replaced the battery. The tamper light isn't on, and he really doesn't have any incentive to try and cheat me (the guys a multimillionaire, the car was $4k - and the battery was actually replaced with a genuine BMW one). The car is generally quite clean so I trusted his explanation.

I've read about the OBC reset and tried that last night. I opened a door and the trunk, waited until the lights went out - I noticed the interior lights and the "interior trunk light" all went out around ~16 minutes however the one trunk courtesy light stayed on and didn't go out (waited like half an hour). I don't know if this means I did it wrong. Then, I disconnected the battery and shorted the leads for quite a while using 1 jumper cable - all this with the ignition switch on. after letting the electrical systems bleed down for way longer than is typically recommended, I re-attached the battery and the odo was still reading 999,999. Two things I noticed were:
    1.) when re-installing the battery, I make and break the connection (lights flicker) a bit when installing the second lead - could this compromise the OBC reset?
    2.) When I re-installed the battery, I left the ignition switch on. Should this be turned off before reconnecting?

Now, heres the real question I have. If this doesn't work, I'm going to resort to coding. I have some experience with it from me E46 M3 but I'm no expert. I don't know what it means to actually "Code the mileage into the modules". I imagine this means simply reading the IKE and LCM modules and then re-flashing them with the exact same file? basically another form of "resetting"?

Is this the correct approach? Does anyone know otherwise? Are there diagnostic tests I should run via software?

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I've never seen a solution for this. If the tamper dot is not on, then the mileage is the same in the LKM as well. If this were mine, I would send a note to Dima. He is a member and supporting vendor here but is best contacted thru his Facebook page. You can tell him you were referred from the forum.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/DUDMD/posts/

My Cars
    2003 BMW M3
    Well, I tried to re-code the module. I basically coded the same PSW file I pulled from the module, back onto the module using NCS. No luck. The coding clearly did something as everything flashed and reset but the odo still reads 999,999.

Mayorchuck,
    I reached out to Dima, thank you for that. He basically said I either need to flash the eprom or get a replacement cluster. So we'll see how that goes. I like the idea of trying to flash the eeprom - but I also understand you need measured UV light which I don't have access to.

Wish me luck!