Thread: Let's talk lollipops and FCA bushings (E36)

My Cars
    1995 M3

Let's talk lollipops and FCA bushings (E36)

Topic: E36 M3 Front Control Arms, and Front Control arm bushings.

I've learned that there's a bit of manufacturing margin for the diameter of the shaft that fits into front control arm bushing.
    This:
    FCA.png

For example, my newly purchased arms from Bimmerworld have slightly different diameters. Enough that one of my poly bushings is very tight, and one is kinda snug.
    VAC is the only supplier that seems to design for this, and gives a selection of two IDs for their bushings.

My experience is that the fit of these needs to be pretty snug with no slack, or I can get some front end shimmy.

So, my question; how do those race FCABs with the metal IDs work? Anyone have problem with fit?
    EG, these:

Screenshot from 2019-02-19 08-52-56.png

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    we've used the treehouse/bw Delrin cabs without any issues. use the meyle hd arms, all good. On another car, used the GC lcabs (spherical) and had to sand the ca end to fit …
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks. I am looking at the treehouse/BW cabs/lolly's also.
    New VAC poly's cost ~$90, and I like the treehouse because they have the offset geometry but are centered.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Check out the SLR FCAB. Adjustable in case a tweak to your caster is necessary for tire clearance or alignment issues.....

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Thanks, I'd forgotten about SLR FCABs. I wish I had a better handle on if the diameter of the FCA 'pin' varied as much as I think it might.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    In my experience, the GC bearings were an absolute BEAR to install and uninstall. Ruined a set trying to uninstall them because I was so exhausted I went to the BFH. The treehouse/BW and SLR eyeball arms have all been "snug" but possible to install without a sledgehammer. I recommend going that route....

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    In my experience, the GC bearings were an absolute BEAR to install and uninstall. Ruined a set trying to uninstall them because I was so exhausted I went to the BFH. The treehouse/BW and SLR eyeball arms have all been "snug" but possible to install without a sledgehammer. I recommend going that route....
    Agreed. I like the Delrin inserts, and they are cheap to replace from BW.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Great feedback guys. I'll give BW/Treehouse or SLR a try. Not sure I'd really use adjustability of the SLR, but I've always wanted to buy SOMETHING from them because of workmanship. And any company that supports E36s and has SPEED in the their name, gotta be good.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Great feedback guys. I'll give BW/Treehouse or SLR a try. Not sure I'd really use adjustability of the SLR, but I've always wanted to buy SOMETHING from them because of workmanship. And any company that supports E36s and has SPEED in the their name, gotta be good.
    Another vote for BW/Treehouse. It doesn't seem like this is an issue for you specifically but a general note for anyone reading this who is running 96+ control arms, the BW/Treehouse FCAB's will increase your caster quite a bit and, for me, creates a slight clearance issue on high load corners. Not enough that I will stop running them but it defiently shaves the outer most edge of my tires a bit quicker.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    Another vote for BW/Treehouse. It doesn't seem like this is an issue for you specifically but a general note for anyone reading this who is running 96+ control arms, the BW/Treehouse FCAB's will increase your caster quite a bit and, for me, creates a slight clearance issue on high load corners. Not enough that I will stop running them but it defiently shaves the outer most edge of my tires a bit quicker.
    Got to go with the non-m Meyle HD control arms....
    Last edited by olemiss540; 02-23-2019 at 02:39 PM.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    +1

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    +1
    I know you can replace with 95 control arms and resolve the caster issue but you can use also non-m control arms instead? Price saving is significant if that is the case.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    The geometry is the same between the non-M and '95 LCAs. It's the 96-99 that are different.

Condor speed shop sells treehouse style FCABs that have the correct geometry for 96-99 cars, as opposed to most places that only sell '95 style geometry.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    ^ YEP! And, I've got a 95!

My Cars
    1999 BMW M3 Coupe
    I used the Bimmerworld units on my car and they are okay. I remember them offering them in two styles for early or late M geometry. I went for the most caster on my car and I don't regret that, but it does rub the plastic inner fender if you turn tightly enough. One side took a little hammering with a dead blow to get it on, the other slipped on by hand. I recommend you wipe on and back off the control arm with some silicone or Teflon style grease (like used with poly bushings), just so the pin doesn't rust. You do not need or want to lube Delrin otherwise.

subframe-index.jpg

They seem to be lasting real well. I changed the looser side one once, but it wasn't very loose when I did, just more of precaution.