Thread: Oil level inaccuracy

My Cars
    BMW 325 Ci

Oil level inaccuracy

Hello. My son's 2001 325Ci has some weird oil level issues. I don’t recall this happening before oil change. He recently had his oil changed at the dealer. They put in LL-01 FE OW-30 synthetic oil. I had Mobil1 0W-40 in there before that. The vehicle has a valve cover gasket leak, so I need to add oil every once in a while.
    Well, it seems now I have inaccuracy with the oil check. I checked this morning and it appeared to be half a quart low. So I had a 4 hour drive ahead of me and figured I would see how much further it would leak (seeing how it took at least 20 hours of driving to get to where it is). I let it sit 15 minutes, checked it, and the level was full. So I went to the store, and came back an hour and a half later, and still full.
    Anyone know reason for this? Someone suggested the paths where the oil is suppose to drain to the pan may be clogged. Just wondering if anyone has seen this on E46. Thanks!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    http://www.linquist.net/system/files/E462000i.pdf
    Checking the oil level
    1 Park the vehicle on a level surface.
    2 Shut the engine off after it has reached normal operating temperature.
    3 After approx. 5 minutes, pull the dipstick out and wipe it off with a clean lint-free cloth, paper towel, or similar material.
    4 Push the dipstick all the way into the guide tube and pull it out again.
    5 The oil level should be between the two graduations on the dipstick.
    As with fuel economy, oil consumption is directly influenced by your driving style and vehicle operating conditions

The space between the two marks on the dipstick corresponds to approx. 1.1 US quarts (1 liter). Do not fill beyond the upper mark on the dipstick. Excess oil will damage the engine.
    To add oil
    Wait until the level has dropped to just above the lower mark before adding oil. However, never let the oil drop below the lower mark.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Yes, these cars are odd like that, for they will hold oil it seems at times, more so when cold.

I would stick with the Mobil-1 0W-40 European formula to change the oil every 7.5k or about half the service counter. Of course oil threads can be a heated discussion.

P.S. the 0W-30 is LL-12 oil IIRC.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member