Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New bushings / Sway bars / End links

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

New bushings / Sway bars / End links

Hi all, planning to do a bushing refresh, front and back, sway bars, end links, tie rods, etc.

1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8

Possible to install the M bushings in my car? (Someone told me they were interchangeable and an upgrade)

What brand sway bar, strut bar, end links, should I go with if not OEM?

Someone help me press the easy button!

*edit: I should say i don't do any track time. This is strictly for street driving.
    Last edited by solimans; 02-19-2019 at 12:45 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I've read up here on sway bars, mine is a 98 M, because I loved them on my previous sports car. It seems most agree that lowering springs is the better place to spend your money, if handling improvement is your goal. They are cheaper too. H & R Sports seem to be the favorite. The problem with lowering springs is that you might cause camber problems which become one more thing to fix. If you stay with your sway bars, you can put poly bushings on them for a slight improvement, again, pretty cheap. ... Koni shocks for sure. ... Strut bars are another controversy. Some will say they help; some say no. Mine came with one. I've taken it off and can't tell the diff. ... I say definitely install poly rear subframe bushings. Best per-dollar handling mod I've ever seen. Such a diff, with no drawbacks, that the cars should have come from the factory with them. ... The problem with the "easy button" is that it's hard to get a consensus on what to do; depends too much on you: what you want, how much money you have, how much wrenching you're willing to do, etc. You can read forever on this site, which will help.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by zellamay View Post
    I've read up here on sway bars, mine is a 98 M, because I loved them on my previous sports car. It seems most agree that lowering springs is the better place to spend your money, if handling improvement is your goal. They are cheaper too. H & R Sports seem to be the favorite. The problem with lowering springs is that you might cause camber problems which become one more thing to fix. If you stay with your sway bars, you can put poly bushings on them for a slight improvement, again, pretty cheap. ... Koni shocks for sure. ... Strut bars are another controversy. Some will say they help; some say no. Mine came with one. I've taken it off and can't tell the diff. ... I say definitely install poly rear subframe bushings. Best per-dollar handling mod I've ever seen. Such a diff, with no drawbacks, that the cars should have come from the factory with them. ... The problem with the "easy button" is that it's hard to get a consensus on what to do; depends too much on you: what you want, how much money you have, how much wrenching you're willing to do, etc. You can read forever on this site, which will help.
    thank you, zellamay, currently have a set of ST coilovers that the prior owner put on. They're new so i feel bad replacing them. But not in love with them.

are you running h & r or koni's?

Good to hear peoples experiences with different brands etc.
    Last edited by solimans; 02-18-2019 at 09:24 PM.

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    The M bushings are "more" solid than the stock Z3 stuff. It will improve the responsiveness of the handling, but only the front. The only place to put them is on the control arm. The M engine mounts are bit more rigid also, if I remember correctly. Tie rods do not have bushings and should be replaced if you observe any play. I installed Moog on my coupe because I'm a fanboy. I can't see there being much difference in the sway bar bushings. They are just a piece of rubber, but a poly would be more rigid. You can also go Meyle heavy duty front control arms. I have them installed on my car. Quote from Bimmerworld:

"Meyle HD control arms use a ball joint design that surpasses even the M3. Instead of a rubber-isolated ball joint, the Meyle Heavy-Duty ball joint is solid mounted in the control arm. This gives a more direct feeling between the tires and the suspension, which you will notice from the steering wheel. The E36 Meyle HD arms have better steering response and stability than an Original or OEM control arm......"

For the rear subframe use a good poly busing (e.g. Ireland Engineering). Replace the diff bushing and trailing arm with stock. Lemfoerder is the OEM brand for most bushings.
    Last edited by Zoupe6; 02-18-2019 at 09:12 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoupe6 View Post
    The M bushings are "more" solid than the stock Z3 stuff. It will improve the responsiveness of the handling, but only the front. The only place to put them is on the control arm. The M engine mounts are bit more rigid also, if I remember correctly. Tie rods do not have bushings and should be replaced if you observe any play. I installed Moog on my coupe because I'm a fanboy. I can't see there being much difference in the sway bar bushings. They are just a piece of rubber, but a poly would be more rigid. You can also go Meyle heavy duty front control arms. I have them installed on my car. Quote from Bimmerworld:

"Meyle HD control arms use a ball joint design that surpasses even the M3. Instead of a rubber-isolated ball joint, the Meyle Heavy-Duty ball joint is solid mounted in the control arm. This gives a more direct feeling between the tires and the suspension, which you will notice from the steering wheel. The E36 Meyle HD arms have better steering response and stability than an Original or OEM control arm......"

For the rear subframe use a good poly busing (e.g. Ireland Engineering). Replace the diff bushing and trailing arm with stock. Lemfoerder is the OEM brand for most bushings.
    yes sir, my tie rods are shot...

i'm going to check out the Meyle controls arms. Did you go with the M bushings in the front? Not rear?

wondering if there's much to gain from aftermarket sway bars?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    You've got coilovers already, so you're set there. I have the Koni shocks with stock springs/swaybars. With really good tires (did we talk tires? good tires are a must!), I am very happy with the handling, but I'm normal: I want to know if there is more to be had. I was set on bigger sway bars until I read on this site. Here's a thread on sway bars: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...gs-or-swaybars Seems like I read here against putting the offset bushings on a Z. Not sure; check it out.

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    The M models have a different differential cover. Not sure if the bushings are interchangeable, but just use stock; you'll need the movement to absorb torque shifting and preserve the rear of the car. Yes, I have M front control arm bushings. The car already oversteers really easily in stock form, the stiffer bushings just make it happen faster.
    As far as sway bars go, if you are looking for handling improvements, from what I have gleaned the the racers just remove the rear for best handling. The stock stuff gets you pretty darn good cornering Gs in the coupe. Can't find them now, but I've read numbers that the z3 coupe can handle higher cornering Gs than the M version. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I read it on the interwebs.
    Last edited by Zoupe6; 02-18-2019 at 09:37 PM.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    You've got coilovers already, so you're set there. I have the Koni shocks with stock springs/swaybars. With really good tires (did we talk tires? good tires are a must!), I am very happy with the handling, but I'm normal: I want to know if there is more to be had. I was set on bigger sway bars until I read on this site. Here's a thread on sway bars: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...gs-or-swaybars Seems like I read here against putting the offset bushings on a Z. Not sure; check it out.
    good thread, mate. I need to make a final decision on rims before i buy tires. i do remember reading somewhere that the M bushings are off-centered a bit.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    The M models have a different differential cover. Not sure if the bushings are interchangeable, but just use stock; you'll need the movement to absorb torque shifting and preserve the rear of the car. Yes, I have M front control arm bushings. The car already oversteers really easily in stock form, the stiffer bushings just make it happen faster.
    As far as sway bars go, if you are looking for handling improvements, from what I have gleaned the the racers just remove the rear for best handling. The stock stuff gets you pretty darn good cornering Gs in the coupe. Can't find them now, but I've read numbers that the z3 coupe can handle higher cornering Gs than the M version. I'll probably get flamed for this, but I read it on the interwebs.
    yes, definitely going with the stock diff bushing, but i wonder about the carrier and trailing arm bushings? lets not get flamed sir

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    yes, definitely going with the stock diff bushing, but i wonder about the carrier and trailing arm bushings? lets not get flamed sir
    This is what the pundits say: stock diff bushing, stock trailing arm bushings, and poly subframe bushings. (not sure what you're calling the "carrier").

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    This is what the pundits say: stock diff bushing, stock trailing arm bushings, and poly subframe bushings. (not sure what you're calling the "carrier").
    Don’t think you could go wrong with that setup sir. Still wondering if the M bushings are recommended as an upgrade, if so which ones are interchangeable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Hi all, planning to do a bushing refresh, front and back, sway bars, end links, tie rods, etc.

1999 Z3 Coupe 2.8

Possible to install the M bushings in my car? (Someone told me they were interchangeable and an upgrade)

What brand sway bar, strut bar, end links, should I go with if not OEM?

Someone help me press the easy button!

*edit: I should say i don't do any track time. This is strictly for street driving.
    Had this sway bar recommended to me: http://www.hrsprings.com/products/detail/sway-bars

Anyone have this product? Experiences?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Currently have these coilovers:

http://www.stsuspensions.com/product...-13220016.html

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    This website is great! Just look up the part you need for your desired model. Cross reference to see what fits multiple cars as standard or find parts from another model that you want to put on yours.
    http://www.realoem.com/

Hint: The Z3 is in the "classic" group.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    This website is great! Just look up the part you need for your desired model. Cross reference to see what fits multiple cars as standard or find parts from another model that you want to put on yours.
    http://www.realoem.com/

Hint: The Z3 is in the "classic" group.
    looked it up. looks like the M motor mounts, rear subframe and trailing arm bushings are the same. the diff and front control arm bushings are different.

sounds like you've had luck with the control arm bushings. Do you know how they are different?

If they fit our cars and are an upgrade, i'd probable buy those...

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    non-M vs. M
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Here's another option for control arm bushings. I got these M3 ones because the bushings are still rubber, but solid (not hollowed out like the stock Z3 ones).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M3-UPGRADE-...-/150810200217

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Looks good, y’all. I think I will

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Anyone have a sway bar they love?

I’m thinking of upgrading to the h&r as part of this job...but if there is something better I’ll look at that

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    With your current setup, I'd recommend the 95 M3 offset front control arm bushings, a front sway bar (H&R, GC, etc), and poly rear subframe bushings. A lot of people here think the poly diff bushing will ruin your car but I have had good luck with it in both of my cars. Also, the reason I like the offset bushings is the added caster. Makes the steering feel much more stable and less twitchy. Just my personal feelings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Anyone have a sway bar they love?

I’m thinking of upgrading to the h&r as part of this job...but if there is something better I’ll look at that

I'm running M sway bars and springs and the Meyle HD control arms on my 2.8 Coupe and I imagine my car feels basically stock M Coupe. I can't really compare though, as my M Roadster's suspension was shot when I bought it and I promptly installed H&Rs/Bilstein on that.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    non-M vs. M
    Yeah definitely the M

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by raubritter View Post
    Here's another option for control arm bushings. I got these M3 ones because the bushings are still rubber, but solid (not hollowed out like the stock Z3 ones).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M3-UPGRADE-...-/150810200217
    yes sir, look much better

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    With your current setup, I'd recommend the 95 M3 offset front control arm bushings, a front sway bar (H&R, GC, etc), and poly rear subframe bushings. A lot of people here think the poly diff bushing will ruin your car but I have had good luck with it in both of my cars. Also, the reason I like the offset bushings is the added caster. Makes the steering feel much more stable and less twitchy. Just my personal feelings.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    i like the sound of more caster. i worry about fitment issues. i have 18 inch rims and the fronts needed 5mm spacers. tires were rubbing the coilovers.

how much more caster are we talking about? Hard question to answer i guess.

did you go with the H&R or GC sway bars?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    I'm running M sway bars and springs and the Meyle HD control arms on my 2.8 Coupe and I imagine my car feels basically stock M Coupe. I can't really compare though, as my M Roadster's suspension was shot when I bought it and I promptly installed H&Rs/Bilstein on that.
    oh the M sway bars fit, that fantastic! front and back? did not think they would. i understand the rear ends are different on the M...

i looked it up. the M sway bar is 19mm vs 17mm on the non-M in the rear. i imagine the fronts are thicker as well.

i'm going to lookup the Meyle control arms. wondering how much more expensive they are from stock...many thanks

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Best strut bar?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast