Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 528I owner...

My Cars
    98 528i

New 528I owner...

First BMW, 1998 528i. Picked it up for $2000. Pretty good shape,basically rust free except for a small spot on the trunk lid. So,ive been researching replacement cooling parts,as everything appears to be original @ 155k. Mine has a build date of June 98,which apparently is an "early" model. The replacement parts for the "After 9/98 build" are considerably cheaper. Why is this? Can the early models be retrofitted with the later model parts? As far as other maintenance ,gonna do a trans fluid/filter service, there is a power steering leak at the reservoir (possibly cap o-ring),etc. Everything seems to work, memory heated seats, passenger side mirror tilts down during reverse, cold a/c. I don't think I did bad at all for $2k,considering that pretty much gets you a pile of crap nowadays. I've also located a set of style 5's,as she currently wears worn 15" tires,and the selection in that size is pretty weak.

My Cars
    98 528i
    And here she is dirty as can be.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 540i
    Looks like a nice find for $2k! Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2001 Salvage Title 540i
    My build thread: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...toive-decision

My Cars
    98 528i 91 318is-S54swap
    Looks nice! While parts might be a smidge more expensive (I've never noticed) You'll definitely enjoy the fact that the pre-99s have significantly less stuff to break in comparison to their post-99 bretherin. Single Vanos, simple CCV, no stupid DISA valve, M52's are mostly trouble free as long as you change your oil regularly and don't overheat them. Enjoy your nice example.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    That is a nice looking one, especially for the rust belt and the price.
    9/98 production is the beginning of the '99 model year, the "technical update" (tu) engine with dual VANOS, aluminum block, different cooling system parts, electronic throttle and several other complications.
    I have just assembled a lot of cooling system parts for my '97(which is same as yours)and discovered a cracked head. I am meeting with my machinist today to get a prognosis for the head. If too expensive to repair I'll probably abandon the project and those cooling system parts will be surplus. If so I'll offer them to you at a nice price.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Welcome to the family!
    My 528 is an "early" version as well. The cooling system replacement is real simple and has less issues that the later ones. Buy new hoses (NO sensor in the lower hose. It is in the Rad passenger side tank), rad, Drive belts (idler and tensioner), water pump (I went with the aluminum one and purchased a brass bleed screw.) expansion tank and over flow hoses, and a Behr Rad. Use new clamps, make sure the block and water pump are "FLAT" and not pitted from poor previous owner's lack of maintenance. Note: on the Aluminum water pumps, some of the castings are porous and there for will leak anti-freeze through the casting which show up as little splatters on the power steering pump and air filter box as the fan wash pushing the spray that direction.

Do the entire cooling system at one time as it will fail. It is NOT a possibility, it is a guaranteed failure at your mileage. One of the major examples is the side tanks of the rad will leak and then separate giving you 30 seconds shut down before complete engine loss. Way too many examples posted to chance it. Use BMW antifreeze only.

Lighting - If your head lamp assemblies are cloudy, you can go down one of two paths, replace with Depot replacements (cheap and fit right) or upgrade to "face lifts" with angel eyes. You only need a complete set of later units, wiring end connections confirmation, and use the side marker lighting wiring to provide power to the angel eyes. Parking lights powered up? Angel eyes are on! Simple solution. Lots posted in the DIY sections.

Body- Paint is hard and cleans up easily with clay, polish compound w/ buffer, and wax. Take your time and SLOWLY buff out issues as the clear coats are only a few Mils thick.

Engine - change the oil and filter, fix the valve cover leak by replacing the gasket, install new plugs and the coil boots (use the boot that matches the brand of coil). I would recommend NGK Iridium IX as they will provide a little better idle and tip in acceleration. NGK IRIDIUM IX Plugs BKR6EIX, Stock No. 6418 Gap at .032". Secondary issues are Oil filter housing leaks. That holds the alternator and oil filter. Small gasket, 5 hrs labor to remove everything to replace it. Lots of DIY info on this site.

Drive train - replace the diff fluid. Easy DIY.

Power Steering: Replace the fluid reservoir with a OE or ZF version and replace the hoses that leads to the rack and rad. Replace all the clamps and hoses as they get hard and will leak regardless of the pressure applied by a clamp. Drain all the fluid and refill with synthetic Type ATF+4. You must flush everything out first. Easy to do. See DIY info. Double check your fluid type (Green or red).

Interior: Cleans up easy

Production info is available at this website that will show you all the details on your actual model. https://www.mdecoder.com/

Spend your money on doing all the delayed maintenance that needs to be completed first before adding any "upgrades" in the audio dept.
    Helpful?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StephenVA; 02-19-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2002 530i
    Congratulations on your acquisition. I'm in a similar situation as you. I recently acquired, October 2018, a 1998 5 speed manual 528i in Oxford green with 75,000 km. I have replaced the Transmission and Diff fluid and am considering to do a complete cooling system overhaul. Would the overhaul be premature considering the low milage of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any input from forum members.

My Cars
    98 528i
    Thanks ALOT everyone for the help/info. I'm a mechanical guy so none of this is daunting. Coolant replacement is first order, power steering next followed by trans service. Excited to get this ol girl on the road.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    That is a nice looking one, especially for the rust belt and the price.
    9/98 production is the beginning of the '99 model year, the "technical update" (tu) engine with dual VANOS, aluminum block, different cooling system parts, electronic throttle and several other complications.
    I have just assembled a lot of cooling system parts for my '97(which is same as yours)and discovered a cracked head. I am meeting with my machinist today to get a prognosis for the head. If too expensive to repair I'll probably abandon the project and those cooling system parts will be surplus. If so I'll offer them to you at a nice price.
    Hopefully all is good,however for sure be interested.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pet905 View Post
    Congratulations on your acquisition. I'm in a similar situation as you. I recently acquired, October 2018, a 1998 5 speed manual 528i in Oxford green with 75,000 km. I have replaced the Transmission and Diff fluid and am considering to do a complete cooling system overhaul. Would the overhaul be premature considering the low mileage of the vehicle?

Thanks in advance for any input from forum members.
    When it comes to cooling systems it is NEVER too early after 15+ years. I did mine at 84K as the rad tanks were starting to separate.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    98 528i
    Sooo...what is this?

My Cars
    1999 5281
    it has a DINAN tune installed..so it says...

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Nothing to get excited about. Look up www.Dinancars.com
    More than likely SKU: D900-285 $134.44

Dinan Performance Engine Software unleashes more power by re-programming the fuel mixture and ignition timing parameters of the engine management system. Furthermore the software safely raises the rev-limit, giving your BMW a broader power band and greater road speed potential in each gear. Significant gains are also achieved at part throttle, making extra power available where you spend the bulk of the time driving. The top speed governor has also been eliminated, enabling the vehicle to achieve it’s ”natural” top speed.
    Product Specifications
    Emission Status 50 State Emissions Legal
    Max HP Gain 9 @ 6000 rpm
    Max Torque Gain 9 lb/ft @ 5000 rpm

Like I said above, nothing to get excited about.
    Last edited by StephenVA; 02-21-2019 at 03:54 PM.
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by StephenVA View Post
    Nothing to get excited about. Look up www.Dinancars.com
    More than likely SKU: D900-285 $134.44

Dinan Performance Engine Software unleashes more powerby re-programming the fuel mixture and ignition timing parameters of the engine management system. Furthermore the software safely raises the rev-limit, giving your BMW a broader power band and greater road speed potential in each gear. Significant gains are also achieved at part throttle, making extra power available where you spend the bulk of the time driving. The top speed governor has also been eliminated, enabling the vehicle to achieve it’s ”natural” top speed.
    Product Specifications
    Emission Status 50 State Emissions Legal
    Max HP Gain 9 @ 6000 rpm
    Max Torque Gain 9 lb/ft @ 5000 rpm

Like I said above, nothing to get excited about.
    UNLEASHES all nine of those ponies!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    So what was that, $400 for the 9 horses, $55.99 for the Pac-Man sticker?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    98 528i
    LOL,yeah I didn't expect much. However now I can reach "ludicrous speed" on the top-end Ordered most of my parts,should be here next week. My 10 yr old son is a car nut and can't wait to take a ride.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Hey I don't go in big for appearance modifications, but I have had a couple of pre-'01 e39's, including a dark green one, and for short money, like $350, you can buy red/white tail-lights, white side lights and headlight covers with clear/white corners ( you need to swap corner bulbs to yellow). This takes all the yellow off the car and really get's it to "snap" in appearance. Keep your originals, but you can buy these aftermarket parts on amazon.

My Cars
    98 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by effduration View Post
    Hey I don't go in big for appearance modifications, but I have had a couple of pre-'01 e39's, including a dark green one, and for short money, like $350, you can buy red/white tail-lights, white side lights and headlight covers with clear/white corners ( you need to swap corner bulbs to yellow). This takes all the yellow off the car and really get's it to "snap" in appearance. Keep your originals, but you can buy these aftermarket parts on amazon.
    When you say headlight "covers" what do you mean exactly? The current headlights need replaced, very weathered.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    the headlight lenses on your model are very easily replaced.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Here are the replacement lenses with clear corners that I was talking about.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZQPC0E..._jsGCCbVYQ8P2F

- - - Updated - - -

while you're at it. Replace the adjusters (,$10) which are almost certainly broken

My Cars
    98 528i
    Here are the replacement lenses with clear corners that I was talking about.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CZQPC0E..._jsGCCbVYQ8P2F

- - - Updated - - -

while you're at it. Replace the adjusters (,$10) which are almost certainly broken
    Thanks for the link

My Cars
    98 528i
    About halfway through the cooling system replacement. Just taking my time an seeing how this cars put together. ALL original cooling parts,even had the original crimped on hose clamps for the expansion tank hose. Hopefully button it up tomorrow,then on to the trans fluid/filter and power steering reservoir replacement.

My Cars
    98 528i
    Well,it's been one thing after another with this car. Finally get everything back together, and I have a coolant leak. Pulled fan and shroud back off,and that stupid shroud with those dumbass tabs on the side that catch on everything on the way out caused the expansion tank to hit the floor spewing coolant everywhere. That,coupled with the trans fluid mess I made on the floor put me at wits end. My garage is a complete mess,and my other project car has come to a standstill because I've been wrenching on this thing. Tomorrow is a new day. Hopefully things go smoother and I can finally get to driving it.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 05 ZHP conv
    Yeah, but you'll do a better job the second time you do it......

My Cars
    98 528i
    Yeah, but you'll do a better job the second time you do it......
    You're absolutely correct. Pulled it back apart today,and as soon as I took off the housing, I realized I installed the o-ring first in the block....duh. Went ahead and put a little Permatex on for peace of mind.

My Cars
    98 528i
    Ol' girl cleans up pretty good. Got one headlight polished up, doing the other one tomorrow. Car runs.... fantastic. Still have a very slight trans leak,shift shaft selector. Probably can't tell,but replaced the original 15" wheels with some 16" sourced from Dwight from Zionsville Autosport, cool ol' cat. One thing I cannot stand is the steering wheel, WAY too skinny. Might have to upgrade in the future. Gonna put this to DD status, give my Tacoma a break.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast