Thread: 1999 323i No EWS?

My Cars
    1999 323I

1999 323i (E46) No EWS?

Hello everyone! Like my username states, I am pretty new to using bimmerforums and I recently bought a 99’ 323i. My question is, I was looking into getting a different key for my car, when I noticed that most keys are diamond shaped, and the cars are equipped with ews... now, I know my car is very base model, but my key is different, it’s more round in shape like this one, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fits-to-BMW-3-SERIES-E46-316-318-320-323-325-328-330-335-3-Buton-Remote-Key-FOB-/400394966047... Does my car have EWS stock? Or is this possibly an aftermarket key and my ews could have been removed?
    I apologize for my ignorance, but the searching I’ve done, I can’t seem to reach an understanding. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TheFNG323i; 02-18-2019 at 03:01 AM.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Every E46 has EWS. Unless your car had an engine swap or is a track car, it most likely still has EWS.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Drive Away Protection System (EWS)
    Model: EWS I/EWS II/EWS III/EWS III D E31/E34/E36/E38/E39/E46/E52/E53

Production Date: All since 1/94
    EWS I
    EWS I was installed on vehicles beginning production 1/94, replacing the original Drive Away Protection System.

EWS II
    Starting with 1/95 production, all vehicles were equipped with a new EWS system, EWS II. This change was once again brought about to meet the next level of compliancy with the European Insurance Commission regulations.

EWS III (3.2)
    The 1997 Model Year E38 is equipped with EWS III (3.2) drive away protection. E39 vehicles produced 3/97 and later are also equipped with EWS III (3.2).

EWS III (3.3)
    EWS III (3.3) is installed in the 1998 E38 from 5/97 production, in the 1998 E39 from 9/97 production, in the E46 beginning of production, in the E52 and E53 beginning of production.
    Purpose of the System
    The purpose of the EWS III (3.3) system is to add greater theft protection by providing a higher level of sophistication than previous systems. The new “Rolling Code” provides an additional theft deterrent through a changing of the ISN everytime the vehicle enters the start sequence.
    Components changed in the EWS III (3.3) system include:
    • EWS III (3.3) Control Module.
    • DME Control Module.
    • Transmission Range Selection Input.
    Components changed in the EWS III (3.3) system include:
    • EWS III (3.3) Control Module.
    • DME Control Module.
    • Transmission Range Selection Input.

System Components
    EWS III (3.3) Control Module
    The EWS III (3.3) Control Module uses the same 13 pin connector as EWS III (3.2) but functions differently. The EWS III (3.3) module has a “Rolling Code” ISN assigned to it during manufacture. The “Rolling Code” is burned into the module and cannot be overwritten by ZCS Coding or DME alignment procedures. The “Rolling Code” is a one way signal from the EWS III (3.3) control module to the DME and is similar in operation to the data exchange between the EWS control module and the key transponder.
    The “Rolling Code” will be different each time the start operation is begun. The “Codes” are taken from the “Rolling Code Table” which is assigned at the factory to the EWS III (3.3) control module and the DME.
    The DME Control Module has changed in that it is not the source of the ISN but now only stores the “Rolling Code”. It compares the “Codes” to those sent to it by the EWS III (3.3) control module. The “Rolling Code Table” assigned to the DME must match the table in the EWS III (3.3) module. The “Rolling Code Table is “burned” into the DME during the programming of the DME and cannot be change once “burned”.
    With the introduction of the SKE type connectors on Transmission Control Modules the direct input from the Transmission Range Selector Switch is eliminated. The input for range selection is now received from the AGS Control Module.
    On manual transmission vehicles clutch status is input directly into the DME.
    Principle of Operation
    The starting sequence of the EWS III (3.3) is as follows:
    (Same as EWS III (3.2)
    • The key is inserted into the lock cylinder and switched “ON”. The EWS III (3.3) control module is powered through KL R and sends a 125kHz AM signal to the ring antenna. The AM signal induces voltage in the key coil and powers up the transponder.
    • Powered up, the key transponder sends the key identification code to the EWS III (3.3) module. The EWS III (3.3) module verifies the key identification code and checks to see if the key is enabled. If the key is correct and enabled, a password is sent to the
    transponder over the 125kHz AM signal through the ring antenna.
    • When the transponders accepts the password, it releases the changing code which it received from the EWS III (3.3) module during the last start-up operation to the EWS III (3.3) module via the ring antenna.
    • The EWS III (3.3) module compares the changing code received from the transponder with the code stored in its memory and if they match the process is allowed to continue. The EWS III (3.3) module looks at the other inputs for correct status (e.g. Code function not active, Transmission in P or N or clutch depressed, engine speed below specified RPM) and energizes the the internal relay to begin starter operation.
    New to EWS III (3.3)
    • While energizing the internal starter relay, the EWS III (3.3) module calculates a stored code from the “Rolling Code Table” and sends the calculated results to the DME.
    • On receipt of the “Rolling Code” from the EWS III (3.3) the DME calculates it’s own stored code and compares its results with the code it received from the EWS III (3.3).
    If the “Codes” match the drive away protection is released and injection and ignition are enabled and the engine starts.
    If the “Codes” do NOT match, the DME “rolls forward” to the next code according to the “Rolling Code Table” and makes the same calculations. The DME continues this “forward roll” up to a maximum of 200 times or until a match is found. Failure to find a match will result in the engine cranking but not starting.
    • When the ignition is switched off and no engine RPM is present in both the DME and the EWS III (3.3) control module each module will automatically “roll forward” to the next predetermined code based on the “Rolling Code Table”. This new code is used for the
    next starting sequence.
    Replacement Procedures
    Keys
    Up to 6 additional keys may be ordered as replacement keys. The EWS II control module is codeable for only 10 keys (4 delivered with vehicle and 6 replacement).
    EWS III (3.3) Control Module
    Replacement EWS III (3.3) Control Modules are ordered VIN specific. The module is received with the same “Rolling Code Table” as the original module. Once ZCS coded, the DISplus software “resets” the current rolling code in the DME back to “Rolling Code” #1,
    providing synchronization of both modules.
    DME Control Modules
    Replacement DME Control Modules are “off the shelf” and must be programmed for the specific vehicle. After programming the DISplus software informs the EWS III (3.3) control module that a new DME has been installed. The next time the ignition is switched on, the EWS III (3.3) module will send the entire “Rolling Code Table” to the DME and reset it to “Rolling Code” #1. The DME will automatically burn the “Rolling Code Table” into its memory. Once the table has been burned into the DME memory it can NOT be changed. For this reason once a DME is “Married” to the vehicle it will not work in any other vehicle. Under certain condition “Alignment” of the DME and EWS III (3.3) modules may still be necessary. The alignment procedure only resets the code table to code #1 it does not change the “Rolling Code Table”.

Key Activation
    Keys that are lost or stolen may be deactivated or made to not operate the starter functions. The SERVICE FUNCTIONS of the DISplus or MoDic for EWS III (3.3) contains a “bar/release code” function that activates and deactivates keys of the EWS III (3.3). Any
    key may be “Barred” except the key in the ignition at the time of deactivation. The lost or stolen key can be identified by the identification of the remaining keys. There is no limit to the number of times a key can be activated/deactivated.

EWS III D, Z3 Only
    EWS III D is installed on E36/7 beginning of production 99 Model Year. The system does not have a K-Bus input.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Ews started in 1995

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I think what the OP was asking is if he had a different key.

Yes, there were two different keys made during the E-46 line, the early was an square key with the FOB built into it, which you have. The advantage for that key is you can replace the battery, while the newer key you couldn't.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    1999 323I
    That’s exactly what I was getting at lol, thank you! I was confused if I had an aftermarket key or a stock one, I guess I wasn’t exactly clear. But I appreciate all the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    I think what the OP was asking is if he had a different key.

Yes, there were two different keys made during the E-46 line, the early was an square key with the FOB built into it, which you have. The advantage for that key is you can replace the battery, while the newer key you couldn't.

My Cars
    94 325is vin# ef44406
    I also have an 99 E46 323i with the "square" key with an LED in it. Reading Shoguns reply, this should be EWS 3. Here's the big question...I also have an E39 540i with a production date of 7/96. It also has the "square" key, but no LED in it. Am I to assume that the E39 actually has EWS 2 in it? I'd like to get a spare key for each of them, since I've only got one for each car.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    yes
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.