Thread: How to achieve loud pops and bangs

My Cars
    1995 BMW 316i

How to achieve loud pops and bangs

bae: I made tons of research but still can't find an answer that I can comprehend.

So I got an economy 4 banger 316i with an m43 engine that I want to have fun with. Since I saw vids of cars with insane pops and bangs (esp the review of the merc GLA45 amg by TheStraightPipes on YouTube. Great car, great sound) I thought that I want to imitate it. So far with my stock 316i, I could make my car backfire with the method where I press the accelerator pedal ever so slightly after revving the engine. It makes quite a number of pops. Now since I want to make it louder, I thought that changing the muffler would do what I want but it didn't. I installed a chambered muffler which, it made the exhaust sound much louder (compared to the stock muffler) but the pops are still very silent.

What would be my next step? Would it be a cat delete? If ever I would do the delete, would sticking the o2 sensor to the pipe would make it? Or is there anything else that I can do to make the pops louder? (other than a tune, I can't afford a stand-alone ecu atm, or a piggyback)

p.s. cat delete is pretty much legal in my location.

thanks in advanced
    Last edited by AkiraMidori; 02-17-2019 at 09:18 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740iL 24,000 miles, 1998 328iC 49,500 miles
    Coffee can exhaust outlets, cheap blue headlights and ear plugs to drown out the dismissive laughter as the result.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 328i
    Shoot at the car with largest caliber gun available.
    Loud Pops and Bangs achieved and memories will be made.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    If you continue to treat your engine like that it's not going to last very long

My Cars
    96 E36 Vert 03 E39 M5
    You can’t afford pops and bangs . Literally . You either do it by building a popping and banging monster ( the right way ) or some stupid cheap way that will ruin the car.

If you look in eBay the sell some exhaust pipe spark plug that may help you with flames. I think you’d be happier with good suspension tires and brakes so you can corner faster . That’s where the real fun is not some silly shotgun sounds from the exhaust . Oh and no one will think you’re cool , they will all be laughing AT you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com/detail.php?id=13792
    * E39 M5 SterlingGray -RIP 11/2018
    * E36 328 vert Schwarz - ~TurboProject underway
    * E90 335i Sedan MonocoBlau - Daily ToddlerTaxi

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 1998 M3 coupes
    Not sure why you would want loud pops and bangs to be honest. But to each their own I guess.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    Pack the muffler full of fireworks.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    N/A
    The car would need a tune specifically for pops and bangs on decel and shifts. Normally the injectors shut off when you are off throttle, but the tune would allow for a delayed fuel cutoff. I believe ignition timing retsrd also is used in these tunes.

Loosing the cat may get you some more as well, but if you're after the levels of something like a CLA45 you would need a tune specifically for it.

My Cars
    JuliustroliJD
    Pops and bangs are actually asymptoms that show something is quite right, not a desired effect.
    A massive leak in the exhaust manifold will do it.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    By cheap eBay turbo kit. Install it without touching the dme. Smash gas peddle and hang onto the rev limiter. Will backfire exactly like all the other turbo cars. Will pop and bang as desired for about 30 seconds.

The only other way... Spend the 4 grand and actually build it. People that build backfiring machines dont do it for the "pops and bangs". If they did.. They didnt build it themselves. And they most certainly didnt do it with 316s. Or a budget. Or expect those pops and bangs as the"cool" part...
    I'm really trying to not go deep on you right now.
    Its not gonna happen buddy. Its a bmw. And fyi. Those pops and bangs are generally "bad things".
    Nobody would recertify these machines after somebody screwed with them without any visibility into what they did.

HONK! HONK! Clown car coming through!

-Oakdizzle

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4
    Or spend less than 1/10th of that for a tune that will boost performance (albeit marginally) but will also be made to specifically backfire (burble). Look into RK Tunes

My Cars
    1995 BMW 316i
    To its their own it is, indeed.

I thank everyone for the responses, i'll try doing a decat first and i'll figure the next steps from there on. real performance upgrades would be after I graduate and acquire a decent cash flow albeit I plan to get myself a 325 when that time comes.

Oh and if some of you wondered why I want to have pops and bangs on my car, it is because I saw an e90 325 with a full custom exhaust have it and I got envy.

Anyways i'll be going to update this thread whenever i feel I achieved something. It is for your entertainment (and my humiliation). cheers

My Cars
    1995 BMW 316i
    Update: here's the sound of the car with the new muffler. backfires are heard but is still too quiet to my liking. Will be removing the cat and we'll see what happen

all stock.

Last edited by AkiraMidori; 02-26-2019 at 03:08 AM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    don't make it so complicated, just buy a sound booster and you even can have a Ferrai or 8-cylinder sound on your 316 and even can switch https://www.sound-booster.com/
    http://www.vroombox.com/ quote: VroomBox utilizes a powerful microprocessor to digitally recreate the sound of 15 different cars and fantasy vehicles, and play them through speakers under the car. It even includes special effects such as screeching tires and turbo blow-off valves that trigger automatically. And you can download more cars and effects from the web. Sounds and effects are controlled from a small faceplate with a backlit display that fits neatly on or under the dash.
    Once installed, the VroomBox monitors your engine’s RPM and load constantly, so when you step on the gas or shift gears, your new engine sound follows perfectly. Through speakers mounted under the car, the sound of the engine will be heard loud and clear by those around you. It all works automatically, from the time you start your car until you shut it off, with manual or automatic transmissions. And when you are ready to go back to driving a minivan, just switch it off, for that original “stock” sound.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1996 E36 M3 Evo
    It's not too difficult...

Drill a hole in your exhaust post-cat, remove an injector from the fuel rail and relocate it to the new hole in the exhaust. Profit.

The added benefit of lumpy idle will make everyone think you've got proper race cams.
    '96 M3, S50B32, 6MT
    + good stuff

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "back in the old days" when carburetors fueled car's engines a tremendous backfire out the exhaust could be provoked by switching off the ignition and flooring the throttle while at speed. A carb will continue to deliver fuel as long as there is a vacuum signal and doesn't know or care that there is no combustion happening. The result was that raw fuel would be pumped into the exhaust system and once ignition was restored by switching the key back on all that accumulated fuel vapor would go boom.
    There was a fine line not to be crossed regarding how much fuel could be so administered without exploding the muffler.
    Perhaps a switch to disable spark would accomplish the OP's goal. I don't think he'd mind an exploded muffler either.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    How to make a 316i sound even more crappier.

Darwin at your service.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiß III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    97 M3 & 13 Rav4

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E36 325is
    I mean you can slice up the banana hose under the manifold. Mine was shot and caused the engine to pop and bang allot... nice and smooth after I replaced it. Normally popping and banging is exactly what you DONT want your motor to do, but if you like to blow up bmw's I am sure I can assist you with that for the right amount of money...

My Cars
    BMW E36 320i 1997
    Instead of giving those nonsense comments, you should be able to help the man with his request. It's something he wanna do, and if you know how to do it, you can tell him. And you also have the right to tell him the pros and cons but never do again what you did.

Cheers

My Cars
    BMW E36 320i 1997
    Have a look on this link and maybe you can have your answer:
    https://www.ziptuning.com/tuning-file/pop-bang/

Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMidori View Post
    bae: I made tons of research but still can't find an answer that I can comprehend.

So I got an economy 4 banger 316i with an m43 engine that I want to have fun with. Since I saw vids of cars with insane pops and bangs (esp the review of the merc GLA45 amg by TheStraightPipes on YouTube. Great car, great sound) I thought that I want to imitate it. So far with my stock 316i, I could make my car backfire with the method where I press the accelerator pedal ever so slightly after revving the engine. It makes quite a number of pops. Now since I want to make it louder, I thought that changing the muffler would do what I want but it didn't. I installed a chambered muffler which, it made the exhaust sound much louder (compared to the stock muffler) but the pops are still very silent.

What would be my next step? Would it be a cat delete? If ever I would do the delete, would sticking the o2 sensor to the pipe would make it? Or is there anything else that I can do to make the pops louder? (other than a tune, I can't afford a stand-alone ecu atm, or a piggyback)

p.s. cat delete is pretty much legal in my location.

thanks in advanced

My Cars
    Bmw 316i Compact
    I get what you trying to do but it all comes down to the cars ecu, because e36 was pre 2000 it still has the "unprogramable" ecu, technically you can program it but you are not going to get anywhere far with it with the lack of options of the engine limit itself. Thats alright i know what its like to own a 1.6 shitbox myself DD honestly if you want it somewhat backfire "on working temp." Rev it till 4 to 5k rpm let go off gas and press it down again really quickly, the injectors will shoot some gas and because the car on deceleration the fuel will blow up in your exhaust, i have a straight piped fully 316i yes its loud yes its obnoxious but I love it xD I have some videos on my instagram: Miindeee, if you want to hear it

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Hli knows what he's talking about, this is done with a tune.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    skateboard
    Throw silver and other metals into nearest microwave
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell