Thread: No power when I turn the key

My Cars
    '03 525iAT

No power when I turn the key

Following up on my post from a few weeks ago, where I had a very low idle after a new battery install (problem resolved itself), now I have no power when I turn the key to pos. 2. So I get in the car, no puddle lights, but I don't notice this; but there are absolutely no signs of power. No dash lights - nada.
    This had happened twice now, and I don't see the same issue discussed in any forums. So I put it in neutral then back to park. Jiggle the steering wheel, turn the key back and forth. Take a deep breath, and suddenly the car decides to come back to life, and I'm under way. I'm not afraid of it dying, or being stranded. It only happens when I attempt to start the car, and I mentioned my previous post, because I have a new battery.

This happens maybe 20% of the time.

I'm thinking an ignition switch on its way out. Carpet is dry on pass. side floor, so nothing going on there.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    doubt this is the ign switch. as the battery was just replaced, check what changed, or what may have not been done correctly. battery terminals, trunk grounds.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by dohalloran View Post
    Carpet is dry on pass. side floor, so nothing going on there.
    Means ZERO ZIP NADA.

Most floor rot disasters turn out to have had "perfectly dry carpet!" The water doesnt soak in from directly above, it either comes down the sunroof drains down the pillars behind the trim, or comes in the door vapor barriers and again comes down the side by the sill.
    Oh and that floor is DEEP with a big ass foam spacer on top of it so you can have an inch of water down there sloshing around and there's no way its gonna soak up and be noticeable from above.

But: I"ll also disagree w/ my friend mattmar cuz - what if the bad ig switch is what took out the last battery? So I think both things are on the table.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 02-18-2019 at 08:28 AM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Thanks guys, Battery install is fine. Issue didn't surface until at least 2 weeks after new battery install. GG - I will take a closer look at the carpet. I hear ya !
    No issues today with 4 start ups. And perhaps that ignition switch DID take out the last battery. Run some tests today, and see what's going on.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    i agree totally with GG, both are on the table. just wondering how an ign sw could take out a battery unless something shorted in the sw, applying power to something, draining the battery to the point of no return. as long as the OP is satisfied that the battery install isnt the problem, that it is allowing B+ to the next point, then yes check the under carpet terminals. that he was able to get it to crank after a period of time does make the statement that the new battery isnt croaked.

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Battery is putting out a healthy 14.2V when running, and 12.4 when off. It happened again today, just the once. It's definitely intermittent. Where do I go from here ?!

My Cars
    1999 5281
    btw its the alternator thats putting out 14.2 when running (thats a good number) next go where GG suggested up there ^^^^^ in post #3

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Thanks Matt.

Floor is fine. God he knows his stuff !!

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    GG - I will take a closer look at the carpet. I hear ya !
    Yah. Dude. In the Boston vernacular: stop fahkin’ tawkin about the cah-pit!

IT AIN’T ABOUT THE CARPET.

TO rule out the floor, you must pull the seat (not terribly bad actually as long as the seat motors still work) then pull the sill trim and pull UP the whole carpet-foam-floor.

I mean hey - If you’ve done that already great and ap0logies, but from your references and the way to keep talking about it I’m getting the idea that you just did an extra good job of feeling “the carpet” from above and decided yep it’s still nice and dry.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Been there. Done that. Sorry for the confusion.

Just a side note, when the car decides that it wants to provide (electrical) power, there is some sort of noise that occurs from just behind the radio and HVAC area.
    It sound s like a CD being ejected. I can't remember if that happens on its own or when I turn the key to position one. Obviously, when I turn the key, I would know right away if I have power, so it must happen when I'm about to get all uptight with a no-start situation. It didn't happen today. I will pay closer attention as to the sequence of events next time !!

My Cars
    2003 540i6 M-Sport
    Been there. Done that. Sorry for the confusion.

Just a side note, when the car decides that it wants to provide (electrical) power, there is some sort of noise that occurs from just behind the radio and HVAC area.
    It sound s like a CD being ejected. I can't remember if that happens on its own or when I turn the key to position one. Obviously, when I turn the key, I would know right away if I have power, so it must happen when I'm about to get all uptight with a no-start situation. It didn't happen today. I will pay closer attention as to the sequence of events next time !!
    I know the persistence can be infuriating, but did you check the fuse box down there for corrosion? When I blew 113 I had absolutely nothing, and a loose fuse or rotted out fusepanel could do something similar.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    How about your FSU? Did we ask about that? A bad one of those takes out batteries sometimes... But you haven't actually changed the iggy-switchy yet right? That's still clearly on the table.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 540i 6MT, 2012 E91
    Check the bolts on the battery terminal clamps. I had one crack and the positive lead was loose. Sometimes the car started fine, sometimes it had no power due to lost contact. It "fixed itself" a couple of times over the course of a couple days until I found the loose bolt.

Side note, the little T shaped bolt was not available from BMW without buying the entire expensive battery cable, but the Volkswagen dealer was happy to sell me one for a few bucks...

My Cars
    '03 525iAT
    Battery terminals check out fine. Issue occurred once again today. Seems that if I open the driver's door and then close the door with some authority, the car wakes up ! Must be a loose wire somewhere.