Thread: 316i 1.8 does not run right

My Cars
    2004 BMW 316i 1.8

Question 316i 1.8 does not run right

Hello,
    I have a 316i 1.8 (N42 engine) the problem is when at idle the engine shakes and the rpm's on the tacho bounce, also when driving it the engine shakes. (sometimes the car works fine for a few seconds, altough this issue the car drives fine)
    I have recently replaced the timing chain and tensoners and timed the engine with the oem timing tool (also reckecked the timing it was good), also put in new spark plugs and changed the oil, I diagnosed the car with the tester and it shows 0 DTC's

I need some tips for this issue because I can't seem to find what causes it
    Thanks.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    Did you look at the fuel trims with your scanner? Anything over 8% tells you that there are vacuum leaks in the system between MAF and throttle body.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    +1

Most common issue is vacuum leaks on this car. That being said, have a look at the intake boot to ensure it isn't split. Next will be coils, for at that age, they are starting to go bad.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2004 BMW 316i 1.8
    I checked the car, the intake boot is good and I did not find any vacum leaks, I also put in the coils from a working 316i on my car it still runs bad.
    This morning when I went to start it up it ran very rough and also the car feels fine driving in 1st and 2nd gear but in 3rd or 4th gear the car feels like its not got all it's power.
    When accelerating it the car makes like a weird vibration ( I checked it's not vanos rattle)
    Any tips?

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Disconnect the MAF. If it runs better after that, you know your MAF is bad.

Did it start after you did the work, or was it already shaking before? What brand and type of plugs did you put in?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Disconnecting MAF forces the engine computer (DME) to use an overly rich fuel/air mixture. This masks vacuum leaks. So, if the engine runs better when the MAF is disconnected the MAF is not the necessarily bad.

My Cars
    bmw e46 316 1.8i
    i have this issue too please keep us updated as this seems to be a very very common problem for this engine i have posted my inpa results maybe check yours against mine using inpa i am almost certain vanos is screwed but really dont want to be throwing guesses at what the problem is, but i have not found a sure fire soloution for this problem my car has only done 91k how many has the car done ? if i find a soloution i will be sure to tell you

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by minijoker3o0 View Post
    i have this issue too please keep us updated as this seems to be a very very common problem for this engine i have posted my inpa results maybe check yours against mine using inpa i am almost certain vanos is screwed but really dont want to be throwing guesses at what the problem is, but i have not found a sure fire soloution for this problem my car has only done 91k how many has the car done ? if i find a soloution i will be sure to tell you
    Chap, the OP doesn't have VANOS, as it is a M43TU motor.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Chap, the OP doesn't have VANOS, as it is a M43TU motor.
    Neg, OP has a N42B18, which does have a VANOS (and valvetronic..). The pre-facelift 316/318s had M43TU, facelift models have the N42.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    sorry, too many threads going on at once, should have went back and checked the top
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    bmw e46 316 1.8i
    thats right n42 for some reason decided to add both more things to go wrong op do you have a inpa cable and laptop ?? the cabe is about £30.00 with software but trust me worth the money when you own a bmw you can spend ££££ trying to find a problem but in the end its best to get the sucker plugged in to see what is going on, with mine today i am taking the cover of inspecting the timing chain for any play as there shouldnt be these cars dont like the plastic guides much and are prone to go, next is unplugging all sensors and cleaning plugs and connectors as these are also very picky with age.

then i am going to take the vanos solenoids out, and inspect the seals they usually show signs of failing if you have oil coming out of them or around the area as mine was cleaned before sale which was a little naughty if you ask me, also inspect the valvetronic vvt actuator and solenoid on top of the cams these are also a problem part when the car is old.

other than that check readings with inpa i have found my inlet adaption crank sensor bank 1 is stuck at !120 i am still not sure to what that means but i am guessing its something to do with the timing or crankshaft sensors as my mates n46 engine up from this one 2004 is showing them to be working fine on his.

good luck with your problem as i am too facing the samething search the internet and it seems like every n42 owner has the same problem but of course no one on the internet is randomly going to say hey i have a n42 mine works great haha

Capturefijf.PNg
    Last edited by minijoker3o0; 03-05-2019 at 06:16 AM.

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Okay, if you have a stuck value like that, there should be a VANOS screen as well on INPA. You need to check the "commanded" and "actual" values to ensure they are within about 1-2 points. If it isn't then that will point to a stuck actuator, and will need to be cleaned, or replaced.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    bmw e46 316 1.8i
    mine does not have a vanos option on the inpa software but my mates n46 does ??? i am about to update the ecu software though see if that gives me more options
    Last edited by minijoker3o0; 03-05-2019 at 10:17 AM.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 316i 1.8
    I have found the problem, I took the engine apart and the piston rings were the problem. ( the rings were not sealing the cylinders properly)
    The engine was rattling, had low compression and was missfiring on 1 cylinder also had no power, by changing all piston rings the engine runs very good.
    Thanks for the advice anyway.

My Cars
    2004 BMW 316i 1.8
    Quote Originally Posted by minijoker3o0 View Post
    thats right n42 for some reason decided to add both more things to go wrong op do you have a inpa cable and laptop ?? the cabe is about £30.00 with software but trust me worth the money when you own a bmw you can spend ££££ trying to find a problem but in the end its best to get the sucker plugged in to see what is going on, with mine today i am taking the cover of inspecting the timing chain for any play as there shouldnt be these cars dont like the plastic guides much and are prone to go, next is unplugging all sensors and cleaning plugs and connectors as these are also very picky with age.

then i am going to take the vanos solenoids out, and inspect the seals they usually show signs of failing if you have oil coming out of them or around the area as mine was cleaned before sale which was a little naughty if you ask me, also inspect the valvetronic vvt actuator and solenoid on top of the cams these are also a problem part when the car is old.

other than that check readings with inpa i have found my inlet adaption crank sensor bank 1 is stuck at !120 i am still not sure to what that means but i am guessing its something to do with the timing or crankshaft sensors as my mates n46 engine up from this one 2004 is showing them to be working fine on his.

good luck with your problem as i am too facing the samething search the internet and it seems like every n42 owner has the same problem but of course no one on the internet is randomly going to say hey i have a n42 mine works great haha

Capturefijf.PNg
    My vanos reading were fine. Also my car has 119 thousand KM / 74 thousand MILES.
    Try to verify compression and fuel pressure.