Thread: Passenger Side Airbag Light Came on after a fatass friend sat on the seat

My Cars
    2002, 530i, 170k

Passenger Side Airbag Light Came on after a fatass friend sat on the seat

Never ever the light was on before... after a fatass friend sat on passenger side over the weekend, who had a hard time getting in/out of the seat and after dropped him off. Next time started the car, noticed the light (figured it may just go off) however it did not.
    Used my ODBII reader to see if it spits out any codes but nothing and I cannot reset it.

Any easy DIY?

My Cars
    1999 5281
    a generic OBDII reader wont read the BMW specific modules for errors, a BMW specific reader is required, though there are a few around, HF and a few others that state they can, but i cant verify that. getting the code will help, its probably the seat occupancy sensor, but that cant be known til the code is read. you could require passengers above a certain BMI to do a coupla hundred laps around the car before entering.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    It makes me feel like a little sh*t, but I try not to haul fatsos in the car. They break trim, sensors and favor the onset of cabin noises that weren't there before.

Learned your lesson, huh? Don't haul fat ass friends in your aging bimmer.

Luckily for you he must be in the ford crown victoria forums, learning how to cut up the dash so he can install a 36 pieces fried chicken bucket holder, so he won't know you're such a lousy friend.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Fat assed people should know their limitations and stay the F home, that’s what Grubhub is for... I’ll bet that his fat ass ripped the wiring out of the seatbelt buckle.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    2001 E39 540i A, 207 k
    Nah...there is probably a passenger seat switch or sensor that is stuck open by the weight of your friend. Try to find it and fix it.

I had a similar experience years ago: the motor switch that moves the seat was stuck; and it kills the battery within a few hours. !!

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    You momma so fat she lit the passenger airbag gizmo in your bizzlemer
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    It makes me feel like a little sh*t, but I try not to haul fatsos in the car. They break trim, sensors and favor the onset of cabin noises that weren't there before.
    Yep. The wood trim to the right of my gear shifter is cracked because the passenger seat occupant needed to push off on that area to get out.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    God forbid you haul a fatass friend, or worse, an aging fatass family member who would additionaly grab your precious roof handles with their greasy hands, fart on your upholstery and leave the car smelling of human body decay, or as other calls it, pre-death training camp.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Fat people with rolls, Cheese Factory.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

JimLev is online now Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    I see them walking around NM everywhere, pretty sad. Too many burritos I guess.
    Some should have a Wide Load sign attached.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    makes one wonder what the lifespan of the battery powered ride behind shopping carts at wally world is

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    just code it out using PAsoft LOL

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
    makes one wonder what the lifespan of the battery powered ride behind shopping carts at wally world is
    Sir, you win the internet today
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    2003 540i6
    Curious thread.

I have a friend who weighs ~400 lbs and I drove him around in my car last summer. It was kind of hilarious watching him get in and out. It did not look comfortable for him. We only drove to the store and back -he chose to wait in the car. It's good to know that he could totally mess some stuff up though.

reminds me of this guy.
    2003 540i/6

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    That molasses & lard ball needs a lambo so he can complete the quarter pass within the same day.

Regarding the fat friends, aging family members who in addition to weight problem just starts to smell funky and all, I was being sarcastic. But not. Or yes. Oh, No, I have to take my father to buy a 5 liter pepsi and a 3 pounds bag of doritos and I forgot my tarp, will get back to you after I burn the seat and go to a pick and pull to find me another.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    You need a different code reader to reset the light for the SRS. Even if you solve the actual issue, the light will stay until you clear the code and reset the system. I found a cheap but effective tool on AliExpress a long time ago because I was working on the window regulator and powered up while the airbag was disconnected, which threw a code and lit my dash...RPITA. When I have time, I'll dig it up and post the model numbers of the tool...

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    1999 5281
    could elect to put a magnetic measuring tape on the fender with a sign stating "if you exceed (insert horizontal dimension here) youre too wide for this ride"

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Same lard ass ex-friend crosses his legs banging his Herman Munster shoes against the frozen, now cracked, dashboard of my '71 Riviera and another time free falls into the seat of my old 'Vette cracking the floor. He was famous for ordering two Whoppers, large fries and a diet Coke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPzN2gD3PQ

My guess is that your seat belt receptacle got brutalized.
    Last edited by ross1; 02-18-2019 at 07:24 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Jus a thought: your friend being on the larger side may not have had anything to do with it.

I recently dealt with an airbag light that would stay on after starting the car. Code scanner revealed a malfunction in the sensor in the passenger seat that is responsible for arming/disarming the passenger side airbag. I could clear the light with my code scanner, but it would come back if anybody sat in the seat - no matter how heavy they were. Solution was to buy a dongle that bypasses the sensor and plugs in underneath the seat (replacing the sensor itself was not economical).

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    My guess is that your seat belt receptacle got brutalized.
    In all seriousness now, this might be the cause. The seat belt buckle has a switch in it in addition to the pretensor.

My wife (who's not 600lbs) f**'d up the seat mat by kneeling onto it to reach for her purse, and she's always doing that because she's short and petite, so I went the emulator road (diode plus a resistor)

The emulation is pretty good, except I don't listen to it yapping nonsense about her friends. I might tape her to complete the emulator, just to have a full seat ocupancy AND cabin noise experience.
    Diehard E39 driver.