Thread: whining front wheel

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i

whining front wheel

I had the trifecta dash lights come on. Computer said left rear wheel sensor problem. I bought a set of 4 and replaced them all. On the right front, when I put the sensor in the hole, I feel it hitting/ rubbing something. After I installed the sensor, and spin the rotor, it seems as if the sensor is too long. I hear/ feel it hitting something. I put the tire back on and spun it and it sounds like a playing card in bicycle spokes. The faster I spin the wheel, the higher the pitch. None of the other wheels do this. I pulled the sensor back out and compared it to the old one. All the dimensions are the same. I haven't driven it yet. Any thoughts, or ideas are appreciated.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i

it's getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoe View Post
    I had the trifecta dash lights come on. Computer said left rear wheel sensor problem. I bought a set of 4 and replaced them all. On the right front, when I put the sensor in the hole, I feel it hitting/ rubbing something. After I installed the sensor, and spin the rotor, it seems as if the sensor is too long. I hear/ feel it hitting something. I put the tire back on and spun it and it sounds like a playing card in bicycle spokes. The faster I spin the wheel, the higher the pitch. None of the other wheels do this. I pulled the sensor back out and compared it to the old one. All the dimensions are the same. I haven't driven it yet. Any thoughts, or ideas are appreciated.
    Soooo, I put her on the road. After changing all 4 wheel speed sensors, and clearing the codes, all the dash lights went out. When I went for a test drive the triangular warning light flashed 3 times and went out. As I started to accelerate, she wouldn't go, and that triangular warning light flashed again. Noe she won't accelerate past idle, and the speedometer still doesn't work. It seems like I fix one thing, and break 2 others. Feeling rather frustrated. I'm going to pull that right front wheel off and look at that sensor again.

My Cars
    2000 E46 328i
    Sounds like your TC is now constantly thinking your wheel is skidding, because that one sensor is either not correctly installed or broken, therefore limiting throttle.

It helps to have INPA for these kind of issues because it can tell you exactly what each sensor is registering and what the TC computer makes of it.

My Cars
    2005 BMW 325i

Finally, Success.

OK. So evidently the 2 rear sensors are the same, but the 2 front sensors are different. It appears I installed the 2 front sensors backwards, so I got to do that job again. I going to erase the codes again, and take it for another test drive. More to follow.

She's fixed. There is a right and left on the front sensors, but the back ones had the same part number. Switched the front sensors, and the noise is gone, all the dash lights are out, and the speedometer is working again. I hope someone else can learn from my inattentiveness, and maybe save them some time and frustration.