Thread: My First e36 - '98 323ic

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36

My First e36 - '98 323ic

What's up everyone. A few years ago I made this account and posted about potentially trading my s14 for an e34. I ended up not doing it, but after about 18 s-chassis, an e30, and a van I finally have a reason to log back in. This Wednesday I picked up a 1998 323ic. I had been wanting an e36 for the past two years or so after a friend let me drive his at a track day. I was in a position where I needed a car and had the cash, and with the prices of s13 and s14s lately, I decided now was the time for an e36.

My only requirements were: 5-speed, a/c, no rust, clean interior, and under $2,500. Ideally I wanted a 328 sedan, but after spending a week extensively looking on CL, eBay, Let Go, and Fb market from West Texas, to North Georgia, to Orlando - I had no luck. Then one morning an ad popped up with no photos and a single line of text. I tested my luck and texted the number. I was a bit skeptical at first as the guy was replying slowly with broken texts like your typical scam. After getting photos and getting a bit of info on the car (213k miles), I decided to take the trip to go look.

That night I drove my first e36 3.5 hours back home, and honestly I'm in love with the car already.

Some photos:

Overall I'm super happy with the car, even with the mileage. From what I've read the motors are extremely solid as long as you maintain the cooling system properly. After digging through the glovebox I found the original window sticker and maintenance receipts from the past ~10 years. I had to spend the last two days running around DMVs, finding the second-previous owner's Instagram account from receipts to get a photo of his ID, and "find" previous bill of sales - but $300 later she's finally registered, tagged, and legal! (I also just found out the top is less than 6 months old).

There are a few things I want to assess. Some rattling from the interior when music is playing, a new glovebox door, and all new fluids/belts/hoses. I also have two questions. Recently when I start, after about 30 seconds the parking brake, brake fluid, gas gauge, and inspection light turn on for about 2 seconds then go off. It's only happened from a cold start. Brake fluid is good and the car runs and drives fine so I'm curious what this could be? I can't seem to find anything online.

Anyways, this is a long intro post and I'm just rambling now. I'm excited to begin posting mod and upgrade posts as I haven't had a car I've been excited for in over a year now. First few things on the list are bushings, coils, wheels, and find a hard top (in that order).

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Could be a bad brake pedal switch, maybe a bad ground wire.

Nice car! Have fun with it!
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36
    Thanks!
    Yeah I've had a hard time finding something specific to it and it's quite rare so far. I'll have to check all the grounds.

My Cars
    99 M3, 03 330
    Wow, she is purty!!