Thread: Fuel tank straps

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster

Fuel tank straps

Hi all,
    I am in the UK, a retired materials manager, but currently working with a local company looking to design and manufacture replacement fuel tank straps for the Z3.
    Unlike the originals, I am working on a two piece version for both straps such that they can be installed just by removing each of the rear wheels in turn. ( ie not dropping the rear beam/ axle as required to fit the original straps)

Would this be of any interest to forum members?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Would to me, especially as I'm in the UK, but do bear in mind that a lot of the people on this forum are on the other side of the Atlantic.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    Would to me, especially as I'm in the UK, but do bear in mind that a lot of the people on this forum are on the other side of the Atlantic.
    Yes I realised that, but to keep delivery costs down, I could find someone to distribute in the USA if demand was sufficient,

I am just trying to get a feel for demand.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    At least one of the fuel tank straps is no longer available as new old stock from BMW, and there currently is no manufacturer who is making these new. For the missing strap, the only option is to refurbish one from a donor car or fabricate a replica.

I can see a market for this, but it's probably a limited one. Most people refurbish or replace them as part of a rear suspension refresh. The rubber pads tend to break down and fall off, causing rubbing and noise.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreier View Post
    At least one of the fuel tank straps is no longer available as new old stock from BMW, and there currently is no manufacturer who is making these new. For the missing strap, the only option is to refurbish one from a donor car or fabricate a replica.

I can see a market for this, but it's probably a limited one. Most people refurbish or replace them as part of a rear suspension refresh. The rubber pads tend to break down and fall off, causing rubbing and noise.

I have already sourced the rubber strip and the cable clips and will supply as part of the kit, but I take your point.
    I think I will just base production qty on UK demand for them.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreier View Post

I have already sourced the rubber strip and the cable clips and will supply as part of the kit, but I take your point.
    I think I will just base production qty on UK demand for them.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Just thought I would come on here to say that, after a bit of a delay for personal reasons, my project went ok, and I now have sets of tank straps for sale.
    The only thing you need to remove to fit these is the rear wheels. Each strap is in two parts and gets over the need to drop out the rear beam/axle assembly.
    They also come fitted with rubber cushioning and cable fixing point.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Malmo View Post
    Just thought I would come on here to say that, after a bit of a delay for personal reasons, my project went ok, and I now have sets of tank straps for sale.
    The only thing you need to remove to fit these is the rear wheels. Each strap is in two parts and gets over the need to drop out the rear beam/axle assembly.
    They also come fitted with rubber cushioning and cable fixing point.
    I'd like to see them, if possible (post a pic here?). My straps are new but I can see that the cushioning will not last...

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster

Picture.

Picture of replacement straps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Malmo; 05-18-2020 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Changed picture

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    I also have a spare reel of 25mm x 8mm rubber cushion . ( original strap size)

The replacement straps are 35mm wide , so had to get 35 x 8 cushion to suit.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    This looks like a much improved solution. Wish I would have seen it prior...

What is your best contact? I will save for next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    It is easy enough to right the photo by dragging it out and rotating it. What a beauty - it is what BMW should have done. Out of curiosity, how much does it cost, will you ship to the USA, and what is your contact information?
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Sent Vintage42 a PM, also added a better picture above.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Would you post a clear photo of the instructions?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Malmo View Post
    ... Would this be of any interest to forum members?
    I am interested because I don't think the OE straps support the tank very well. On the filler side, my foam pads fell out, dropping that side of the tank a 1/4 inch which lowered the filler enough to pinch its rubber apron.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5 M54
    I'm interested as I'm pretty sure the foam is worn out and the straps can't be far behind.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster

More pictures

A few clearer pictures as requested, and fitting guide. ( note that the guide is for RHD cars so it will be the opposite way round to cars in the USA)

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Just as an update I have converted a small quantity into a Z3M version. ( to accept the additional canister strap)
    If interested , message me with your email address, and I will send you pictures of the Z3M version.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Have you been able to confirm that the new Z3M straps will work correctly on a LHD car?

Marty

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Nice piece of kit. Let me inspect my existing one, but I'm sure it's fine as I'm low mileage and the car has been garaged most of it's life.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    I am interested because I don't think the OE straps support the tank very well. On the filler side, my foam pads fell out, dropping that side of the tank a 1/4 inch which lowered the filler enough to pinch its rubber apron.
    Thanks for posting the photos and instructions. It's a great improvement, and I really ought to do it. I would have when I first got the car and was working under it, but have gotten lazy. And shipping to the US would probably bring the cost to $150.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    Have you been able to confirm that the new Z3M straps will work correctly on a LHD car?

Marty

I have been looking into the tank strap fitting for all options of the Z3 / Z3M , LHD and RHD , USA and Europe Markets and have found out the following.

There is no difference in the way the tanks straps are fixed to the car whether LHD or RHD

Standing at the back of the car, (either LHD or RHD ) , the larger strap goes on the right hand side and the smaller one goes on the left hand side

The larger one, BMW part number 16111185025, is the same for all models of Z3 and Z3M.

With the smaller one there are two options.....part number 16111185029, is the strap which is used in the European Market for all options of Z3 LHD or RHD. These cars do not have the additional filter canister
    This part is Not suitable for the Z3M.

The other part is 16111185032, which according to RealOem, appears to be used on all models of Z3 in the USA Market, plus all models of Z3M in Europe and USA. From this, I assume that all cars in the USA have the additional filter canister fitted ( of which there are two types) and therefore all USA cars have the additional 3rd strap part number 16131185035

Please let me know if I have made the wrong assumptions.

I originally produced 100 replacement sets for 16111185025, and 16111185029 . Of which I only now have 25 sets left.
    Although based on the information above, these are only for use in Europe

Out of the original 100 sets, I did modify 15 sets to cover the Z3M. 16111185025 and 16111185032. Of these, I only have 7 sets left. ( 8 have been reserved pending me test fitting a set on a Z3M in the next week or so.

Hope this clarifies things.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 Roadster
    Just an update....

Of the original batch of 100, all have now been sold.
    Mostly in the UK, but also to Ireland, Holland , Belgium, Holland, Sweden, Romania and the USA. ( Florida, Texas, and California)

They cover all cars LHD or RHD, Z3 or Z3M. ( need to know the details of your car)

I have just manufactured a new batch which are now available.

I am happy to say that I have only had really nice comments and positive reviews, so if anyone interested, please message me and I will be happy to give you full details and answer any questions.