Thread: Help/Advice buying E36 M3 Vert 144k miles is 4300 worth it?

My Cars
    18 440xiC, 06 330ci ZHP

Help/Advice buying E36 M3 Vert 144k miles is 4300 worth it?

Hi, so I am looking to buy an e36, preferably an M3 and came across this convertible. The cloth roof needs to be changed and so do the motors that pull it up and down, and the seats need to be replaced. I have no problems fixing any of those things as I intend on fixing things on the car by myself so that will just be an extra thing to change. My question is, is the car worth a gamble for 4300. Carfax states 7 previous owners no damage or accidents reported and the mileage seems to be correct, 144k. Its a 5 speed manual. Thanks for the input!

p.s. im new to this and have never posted pictures into forums so if they dont open please let me know.

https://ibb.co/F6yXjdC
    https://ibb.co/gPM84qK
    https://ibb.co/NWrsGRK
    https://ibb.co/Svh8jT7
    https://ibb.co/wckCJWq
    https://ibb.co/tMxgzcZ
    Last edited by at94; 02-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.

My Cars
    1998 M
    Hey sorry to say but if you're new to e36 convertibles, stay away from this one! If you want a good scare for life, take out both front seats and the interior door side trim (look online how to) and lift up the carpet from the sides (both front L+R side) and you'll probably see your floor rusting through or about to. The e36 convertibles have extra metal reinforcement plates in the foot well region and they are harder to rust repair.

Sent from my CAT S61

My Cars
    18 440xiC, 06 330ci ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix.a.ZX View Post
    Hey sorry to say but if you're new to e36 convertibles, stay away from this one! If you want a good scare for life, take out both front seats and the interior door side trim (look online how to) and lift up the carpet from the sides (both front L+R side) and you'll probably see your floor rusting through or about to. The e36 convertibles have extra metal reinforcement plates in the foot well region and they are harder to rust repair.

Sent from my CAT S61

This is exactly my biggest worry, and the fact that the roof is messed up and the bubbles in those seats lead me to believe it has a bunch of rust but the seller claims he kept it in a garage and there is no rust on the undercarriage. Too good to be true?

My Cars
    1998 M
    Dude the guy is trying to sell his broken convertible, so of course he'll say anything. Now whether it was garaged or not doesn't matter, that carpet is very thick and it's a giant sponge. The water accumulated won't evaporate anytime soon if at all. All you gotta do is snake your hand a good palm under the carpet in front and feel if it's wet (that is, if you don't feel confident to take the guys car apart before purchase). However if you do go through with taking it apart, grab pictures to post as to help another potential buyer avoid a rust bucket. Another easy place to snake you hand is behind the driver and passenger seat where the carpet ends towards the back bench seat. But this area is usually dry as it's quite thin foam carpet insulation there.

Anyway post more questions and best of luck.

I wouldn't pay $4500 for it though, we have a local minty silver 328is with matching hardtop selling for 4500 CAD. Just not very many into 'vert here..

*EDIT* Just saw the pics now, they weren't loading. Didn't realize it was m3, that's a good m3 price if it isn't damaged too badly inside, consider asking the guy to let you look. But in general if you want e36 m3, stay away from verts.

Sent from my CAT S61
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 02-16-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: sophomorically crude

My Cars
    18 440xiC, 06 330ci ZHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix.a.ZX View Post
    Dude the guy is trying to sell his broken convertible, he'll probably blow dick if you buy it off him, so of course he'll say anything. Now whether it was garaged or not doesn't matter, that carpet is very thick and it's a giant sponge. The water accumulated won't evaporate anytime soon if at all. All you gotta do is snake your hand a good palm under the carpet in front and feel if it's wet (that is, if you don't feel confident to take the guys car apart before purchase). However if you do go through with taking it apart, grab pictures to post as to help another potential buyer avoid a rust bucket. Another easy place to snake you hand is behind the driver and passenger seat where the carpet ends towards the back bench seat. But this area is usually dry as it's quite thin foam carpet insulation there.

Anyway post more questions and best of luck.

I wouldn't pay $4500 for it though, we have a local minty silver 328is with matching hardtop selling for 4500 CAD. Just not very many into 'vert here..

*EDIT* Just saw the pics now, they weren't loading. Didn't realize it was m3, that's a good m3 price if it isn't damaged too badly inside, consider asking the guy to let you look. But in general if you want e36 m3, stay away from verts.

Sent from my CAT S61
    Thanks alot for the advice!

My Cars
    99 E36 M3, 02 E39 M5
    If you end up grabbing it and need seats/covers, let me know. I'm redoing the decent upholstery in my '99 M3 convertible and am changing upholstery from Dove Grey to Dark Red/Black.

+1 on checking for water; both of the cars I had leaked from the tops; fortunately nothing was rusted through though it did kill the side impact sensors in one of them. Easiest way is to remove the rear seat (check for water there) and feel under the front seats through the heater vents.

Ryan

My Cars
    1998 M
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan86 View Post
    If you end up grabbing it and need seats/covers, let me know. I'm redoing the decent upholstery in my '99 M3 convertible and am changing upholstery from Dove Grey to Dark Red/Black.

+1 on checking for water; both of the cars I had leaked from the tops; fortunately nothing was rusted through though it did kill the side impact sensors in one of them. Easiest way is to remove the rear seat (check for water there) and feel under the front seats through the heater vents.

Ryan
    +1 for the SRS impact sensor, my coupe even had one oxidized (they are a really poor aluminum grade). Right under the driver and passenger seats, on the chassis. IIRC only late 98+ have those there. OP will have them.

Sent from my CAT S61

My Cars
    1997 M3, 2012 C63
    Manual, clean title, 144K...if it has no dash lights it's worth $4k to somebody. Seats needing refinishing is not a deal breaker. I'd definitely check for water intrusion with seven owners no way of knowing how often it was actually garaged. I'd assume those are not real BBS rims though.

My Cars
    E36
    I think it's worth it, but another +1 for water
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    18 440xiC, 06 330ci ZHP
    Thanks guys for all the helpful advice, I’m gonna try and get out in the next two weeks and take a look at the car.