Thread: 1982 E21 320i Daily/Track Car build

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i

1982 E21 320i Daily/Track Car build

Hi everyone! I am a new member to the forum BUT I have been a frequent viewer of the website for a while now.
    I purchased an '82 E21 320i from an old highschool friend a couple years ago.
    It has gone through some change since my bestfriend and I have been working on it as much as we can despite the crap weather we get up here in WA.
    My end goal for this E21 is to be my daily/track car. I understand that I will have to keep it in tip top shape since it will be driven on the track, That's why we have an M20 2.7 block that will be swapped into it once it is built, Adding in a roll cage before we get the M20 in there just so that the safety measures are already in place.
    I wanted to keep it retro with the M20 because its affordable and has reliable power, BUT IF SOMEONE HAS AN S54 with Drivetrain that they want to sell, let me know please!! The S54 would be complete end goal for this thing in my mind. But I have to work with what I have and can afford ….
    So here are the pictures of my beauty below. If anyone wants to know what the next thing on the list is or what I want to do to it, just ask away!
    -----LIST OF THINGS TO DO-----
    - New Dash that will be flocked
    - Roll Cage
    - Replace Clutch
    - Bushings
    - Change steering coupler(I have the new one, just have to grind the old one out)
    - Transmission mount(I have the new Delrin mount, I could not get the oem one off, will try again)
    - New gas tank to be mounted in the trunk
    - Brakes, BBK from Wilwood with Rear conversion kit.
    - Body work needs to be sanded and filled in so it leaves a smooth side surface (That is why you do not see any trim on the car)
    - Euro bumper's...American bumpers are not the best looking even though we did tuck them into the body more for the front one.
    - New LED headlights!!
    - Shave rear tail light markers.
    - Complete sand down so that it can be repainted in the same color.
    - Steering wheel
    - Gauges
    - Engine Swap from M10 to M20(have the m20 tranny with the m20 block)
    - NEED REAR DIFF FOR THE M20(have the E30 Rear subframe)
    I will keep regular updates on what we do to it.
    Our YouTube Channel is https://m.youtube.com/user/SlipstreamSAVAGE
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Cool, yes another track build. If need influence on how to spend your money there are a few of us here to help Theres a few build threads on this forum for inspiration.

Man honestly right off I'd just use an actual full wheel stud kit. Safer and easier. If need 75mm or full thread 100mm I do have a few extra sets. I buy mine from apexraceparts.

Even a stock M20 can embarrass higher hp cars on a track. In a E21 focus is suspension and weight. I like where your going with it.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"

My Cars
    91 318is - 83 320is
    What size spacers are you running? I've got some 15mm hubcentric spares I'll let go of real cheap to help out. A good stud set like Jody mentions is the better option especially if using in a "racing" application.
    91 318is
    83 320is

My Cars
    1981 320i
    Looks awesome, will be following for updates. Love the wheels!

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Thank you!!! I will keep updates on the vehicle as I work on it! My roommate, neighbor and I have a Youtube channel btw! We are working on getting 100 subscribers to build our channel up! We originally wanted those wheels in Bronze which they offered but they discontinued the color, So we are going to get them painted in bronze down the road. Even though the blue is pretty nice isnt!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
    What size spacers are you running? I've got some 15mm hubcentric spares I'll let go of real cheap to help out. A good stud set like Jody mentions is the better option especially if using in a "racing" application.
    Hey Captain, I believe those are 15mm spacers, And the wheel stud kit is definitely something that I want down the road for this car!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by autox320 View Post
    Cool, yes another track build. If need influence on how to spend your money there are a few of us here to help Theres a few build threads on this forum for inspiration.

Man honestly right off I'd just use an actual full wheel stud kit. Safer and easier. If need 75mm or full thread 100mm I do have a few extra sets. I buy mine from apexraceparts.

Even a stock M20 can embarrass higher hp cars on a track. In a E21 focus is suspension and weight. I like where your going with it.
    I agree, the full wheel stud kit will be what I want down the road, I just have to get the rest of the exhaust welded on so I can drive it without it waking up the entire town! I wouldn't mind getting the 100mm studs, because I do want to put the AC Schnitzer body kit on it, but that kit is extremely hard to find and costly. Will work with what I have

- - - Updated - - -

The M20 is such a strong engine to even when stock, Going to be building it slowly so because of $$ limitations. Excited to slap the M20 into the E21, Will be a little rocket

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anthony27 View Post
    Looks awesome, will be following for updates. Love the wheels!
    Thank you Anthony! I'm excited to get the body work finished on it so it can have that clean/sleak look to it!

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    HOW TO SPEND MONEY - - - - -

doorbar.jpg

AB10.jpg

and then

dynoready1.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

New 390cfm holley 4.jpg

So much for lesson 1 & 2

Looking like you are off to a great start.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD MAN View Post
    HOW TO SPEND MONEY - - - - -

doorbar.jpg

AB10.jpg

and then

dynoready1.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

New 390cfm holley 4.jpg

So much for lesson 1 & 2

Looking like you are off to a great start.
    That looks killer! The cage looks amazing, great color choice too. I cant keep my eyes off of the carburetor on the M20 though!! Big help seeing what you have done!
    Last edited by NeltronZE21; 02-18-2019 at 03:15 AM. Reason: I didnt look at the page

My Cars
    79 320/6 81320i 65malibu
    Neltron click on the build thread link in my sig, also a couple of videos there.

Always FUN TO DRIVE - Build Thread & Tech info - 79 320/6 track car build thread -- Videos of track car -Adam in car Auto-x video - Start-up video - 4/2011 Adam's TOP BMW time San Diego BMWCCA - 4-5-15 Dyno break-in run new M20B25 - Exhaust Thread - Link

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Subscribed to your youtube channel, good luck with your build!

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Quote Originally Posted by cgifool View Post
    Subscribed to your youtube channel, good luck with your build!
    Thank you for subscribing! Mean's a lot to us. We have a lot of videos we have recorded, just editing them takes a little time but the content is abundant and on the way!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I looked through your page, I am amazed by the amount of work that has been done! Question about a conversion of the rear subframe on my end...the E30 rear trailing arms will match to the E21 subframe? I do have an E30 subframe too. Just hope that the rear coil overs will still fit onto the conversion.

My Cars
    1978 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by NeltronZE21 View Post
    Thank you for subscribing! Mean's a lot to us. We have a lot of videos we have recorded, just editing them takes a little time but the content is abundant and on the way!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I looked through your page, I am amazed by the amount of work that has been done! Question about a conversion of the rear subframe on my end...the E30 rear trailing arms will match to the E21 subframe? I do have an E30 subframe too. Just hope that the rear coil overs will still fit onto the conversion.
    You're welcome, and thanks!

If you're asking me I'm afraid I don't know the answer. I would doubt either idea would be a simple bolt-on solution. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's been answered on the forum at some point in the past, the trick is always in finding the right posts!

My car is 100% stock - I know there are other members that have successfully converted their 320s this way - but the parts are pretty heavy to ship from where you're likely to find them...

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Appreciate the honesty, It just amazes me how inter swappable the older BMW's are. I will look through the threads though!

My Cars
    1978 323i
    You might try contacting member joshwhoe21 - several years ago he posted that he was considering offering an e21 rear subframe conversion for medium case diffs.

My Cars
    1982 BMW E21 320i
    Thanks for the referal cgi!