Thread: Oh boy, where do I start, and when will it all end!?!

My Cars
    07 530i e60 n52 SMG

Oh boy, where do I start, and when will it all end!?!

So my E60 has about 120 k. No navigation, top hi-fi L7 system, 6 speed manual, Dynamic Drive, and a serious attitude problem. It started with the no sound no SOS issue. Soon after it developed a whining noise coming from behind the rear passenger seat which I thought was a failing fuel pump, but ended up being just my first lesson in not throwing Parts at a problem. Recently some nasty storms have hit in Northern California and I found water flooded my ebox. Cracked open and dried out the DME and once reassembled it started up just fine. Although the next time I started it it would barely idle, very rough spiking RPMs. It did that one more time and now it just cranks but won't start. A couple weeks ago I purchase a k dcan cable and downloaded Mike easy one-click install. I figured no problem, it ran great when I parked it, I figured worst case I have to pick up a used DME and reprogram it. Then I remembered that I don't have a beard, skinny jeans, latte, or a flannel shirt. Turns out I have absolutely 0 hipster in me. Over the couple months my car has been sitting in the driveway the electrical issues have become more random and severe. I noticed that my right brake light harness had halfway melted at the ground. My battery what is completely dead one day and found out it was due to the water pump cycling on and off at will. Then my windows lost power, lost interior lights, like a nightmare and it just kept getting worse! Though with the software and cable I was able to get the lights in Windows working again. I was able to pull codes and find out that the safety Gateway module is unresponsive, that my steering column lock was not operational, fixed that too. I haven't really done much with the software because I'm afraid making a bad situation worse. But due to divorce I need to sell this car and as is it's a beautiful paperweight that isn't worth much and I need every cent I can get out of it. So last night while pulling the relays to test them I noticed a ground strap dangling from the firewall. Seems to be the coil ground strap. or at least that's what it is now. Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling and I need to get to work but I have high hopes and lofty dreams love you brilliant diagnostic guardian angels swooping down to save me in my time of need. I'll be back very soon with the codes and if I can figure out how to load pictures, screenshots and printouts. Thank you in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I pulled the TCU when I pulled the relays and have a loop to try the bypass. I have the mask unit, CD changer, sat, L7, and fiber optic light at the Loop in the glove box. Fingers crossed

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Wow, paragraphs would really help this.

You need to replace your dme. Drying out is not a fix. Also, all the relays and other components in that box will need to be thoroughly inspected and replaced.
    You cannot do used DME replacement with basic diagnostic tools. It requires specialty tools/skills. If you need help with that bit, send me a PM and I can help.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 02-14-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    07 530i e60 n52 SMG
    Right I'm trying to get everything out before I leave for work. I'm sure there's more that I forgot to add in my rambling state. I literally feel like I'm losing my mind! Thanks for the quick reply. I may sound like a stalker but I joined this forum after reading several of your posts.

How can I tell if the DME is fried? I can pull codes, it started up and ran great once After the flood, will it run without a DME?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know a whole lot about Electronics but I have wired up quite a bit of AC systems in my time and I know I put several things through the wash that have been just fine after a couple days and some desiccant.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Assume any dme that was under water and with +12V power to be fried. Any type of short while powered can damage one or more components, even though you may not see it.
    You simply cannot trust any extremely complex electronic device to be good after a bath. Shorts can take out a very specific part of dme, while leaving other parts intact. That's why you are able to communicate with the main processor, but there are obviously unexplained faults.
    Also, corrosion is the delayed effect that will slowly break a seemingly "fine" module over time.

I am very familiar with flood recovery, and if you hit it as hard as you can with repairs, it can 100% be rescued. I make sure that there is no +12V attached as long as there is a potential for shorts, because that will continue the damage.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S