Thread: E39 weird electrical issues

My Cars
    E90 335i E39 523i

Question E39 weird electrical issues

Hello, I recently purchased a 1998 BMW 523i touring in Germany. This car is overall a great car but I have run into some issues that I just cant figure out the cause and dont want to spend days tearing apart something I dont need to. This car has some weird qwirks with its electrical. The windshield wipers work, sometimes. The main interior lights work but only sometimes as well. I caught it doing locking and unlocking itself and turing the interior lights on and off when i wasnt in the car the other night. The car seems to have a mind of its own. My expertise is not with the E39 or the 5 series (e90 guy) and I am not that well versed on electrical on cars. Let me know what you think.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Two things.

The electrical ignition switch goes bad and shorts in weird ways and causes kookie behaviours. Common. Not at all hard to replace, you remove the cover below the steering column and loosen 2 screws and unplug the wires and then put a new one in.

The worse one is if the car has large and persistent water leaks from the sunroof or doors, then the passenger floor (down below the carpet and a thick insulation pad where you can't tell its there) fills with water. Then a bunch of fuses and wires down there rust into a total mess. The carpet may not feel wet at all, it might just appear to be fine, but is really a disaster swimming pool down there. Then all kind of weird things stop working or short out and do weird stuff. This is a much bigger pain in the arsehole.

There's a whole bunch of threads on it because its so common but here's one with scary pictures. (sorry to scare you but... its a thing you should know about)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nder-pass-seat
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    GG beat me to it. I'd check under the carpet first, if that looks clean then the ignition switch.

Welcome to the forum.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Man, if we could collect a penny for every time this issue pops up, we’d be really rich by now.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Man, if we could collect a penny for every time this issue pops up, we’d be really rich by now.
    Agree. And, from what I hear, the E60 guys would be able to buy us E39 guys out three times over!!
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    E39

Interior electrical issues

Quote Originally Posted by Ed CT View Post
    Agree. And, from what I hear, the E60 guys would be able to buy us E39 guys out three times over!!
    I Too have extremely odd electrical issues forgive me for I am new here and was not sure to post this but I was hoping someone could offer useful info. I bought this car about a week ago it is a 2001 525i 5 speed everything works great on the car except in the my fuse box where the glove box when tested with a test light none of my interior accessories work such as the following: No horn no interior light what so ever (including gauge cluster) no trunk release button none of my windows roll down rear doors do not open cigarette lighter does not work windshield whippers do not work essentially everything interior wise including rapid blinking blinkers. If anyone has any ideas on what this issue could be can you please PM me or continue this thread thank you.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    E3901, you should have started your own post. Never the less welcome to the forum.
    Your answer is in post 2&3 above. Start looking under the carpet. Post 2 has a link.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i / 5
    Quote Originally Posted by E3901 View Post
    I Too have extremely odd electrical issues forgive me for I am new here and was not sure to post this but I was hoping someone could offer useful info. I bought this car about a week ago it is a 2001 525i 5 speed everything works great on the car except in the my fuse box where the glove box when tested with a test light none of my interior accessories work such as the following: No horn no interior light what so ever (including gauge cluster) no trunk release button none of my windows roll down rear doors do not open cigarette lighter does not work windshield whippers do not work essentially everything interior wise including rapid blinking blinkers. If anyone has any ideas on what this issue could be can you please PM me or continue this thread thank you.
    With all those issues, you'd be better off starting your own thread. But before you do, research on this board - there's lots of posts regarding these things. A recent post had a big mess in the fuse box under the front passenger carpet due to water ingress. Read up and then post some questions on a new thread.

Jim - you beat me to it!
    Last edited by Ed CT; 02-14-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Ed CT
    1998 528i
    5-Speed
    Aspen Silver
    Aubergine Leather

My Cars
    E39
    Thanks for the feed back guys much appreciated funny fact my name is Ed and I’m also from Connecticut maybe we can figure out our junks together 😂 but JimLev is like to say my car has zero signs of any possible water leaks seems tight and moisture free but always worth considering I may go pick up a ignition switch right now and maybe play around a bit

My Cars
    E39
    One more question is there a tell tale sign that the ignition switch is failing such as when I stalled my car once I had to take the key completely out in order to re start it. Is that normal?

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by E3901 View Post
    Thanks for the feed back guys much appreciated funny fact my name is Ed and I’m also from Connecticut maybe we can figure out our junks together  but JimLev is like to say my car has zero signs of any possible water leaks seems tight and moisture free but always worth considering I may go pick up a ignition switch right now and maybe play around a bit
    3rd time. Start your own thread.

Just because you think your car is dry doesn’t mean there’s not water under there. It’s not water that you notice running all over the seats or anything, it’s secret water that sneaks down the pillars into the floor under the carpet and you don’t even know it’s there.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    ChaChing! Getting richer!
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    E90 335i E39 523i
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Two things.

The electrical ignition switch goes bad and shorts in weird ways and causes kookie behaviours. Common. Not at all hard to replace, you remove the cover below the steering column and loosen 2 screws and unplug the wires and then put a new one in.

The worse one is if the car has large and persistent water leaks from the sunroof or doors, then the passenger floor (down below the carpet and a thick insulation pad where you can't tell its there) fills with water. Then a bunch of fuses and wires down there rust into a total mess. The carpet may not feel wet at all, it might just appear to be fine, but is really a disaster swimming pool down there. Then all kind of weird things stop working or short out and do weird stuff. This is a much bigger pain in the arsehole.

There's a whole bunch of threads on it because its so common but here's one with scary pictures. (sorry to scare you but... its a thing you should know about)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...nder-pass-seat

Thank you for the help, I will be pulling the carpet tonight. Also on a side note I am from Connecticut living in Germany and I have access to every BMW model you could imagine. I have a couple of E34s in a junkyard on base that im looking at aquiring right now. So if anyone is looking to import a car from Germany I can give good insight or if your looking for a car over here I can help you to the best of my knowledge find one. I'll post a new thread about it but thought i'd let yall in on it first.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Sounds cool! I'd love an E34 Touring project. They are extremely rare over here. One was for sale few years back and I passed not realizing how unusual it was... That said, not as good a car as the E39, but, it does have more BMW-classic styling...

Good luck with all projects and post back what you find.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    e90Erick, post a few pics of those junkyard cars.