Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: E39 540i Me7.2 DME Tuning shenanigans and findings

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i

DMe7.2 XDFs and discussion of impacts of changes

STOP!!! READ THIS FORUM THREAD FIRST!
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-101-MUST-READ

Once you have read & fully comprehended what GearGrinder has wrote up proceed to the XDF files

Current XDF files can be found on the Github:
    https://github.com/zarboz/BMW-XDFs/releases

I have attached a Wiki to the github that gives some light overview information but I will be updating this forum thread as I discover more
    https://github.com/zarboz/BMW-XDFs/wiki

XDF files found here:
    https://github.com/zarboz/BMW-XDFs/t...V8/XDFS/Zarboz

Projects and their status can be found here:
    https://github.com/zarboz/BMW-XDFs/projects

if you run into an issue with the XDF and / or code used for patches please report it here:
    https://github.com/zarboz/BMW-XDFs/issues

Current project status:
    ESKONF (this is the configuration for outputs on your project things like DMTL/SAP/Injectors) = Done
    Fuel injection management = Done
    Ignition management mapping = Done
    MAF management = Done
    Vanos management = Done
    Torque management = Done
    Idle control = Done
    Knock sensor control = Done
    Limiters control = Done
    Throttle control = Done
    Electric Fan control = Done
    Elec Thermostat Control = Done
    Gear detection = Done
    ARMD/AntiJudder = Done / Requires testing of code
    SAP = Done
    Error classes = Done
    Exhaust manipulation = Done
    Motor Slip Regulation = Done / Requires testing of code
    Speed Calculation (for different wheel size) = Done / requires testing of code
    Euro Flags = Done (require testing for a few of the last ones)

EWS DELETE =
    https://www.romraider.com/forum/view...151579#p151579

This tool was built off the release of knowledge found from reverse engineering existing data available online

First and foremost, this project can and might hurt you. If you rely on the auto lights, and they cut out at night, you might die. If you change things you don't know about and your car only runs on 4 cylinders you might die. If you go poking at stuff you haven't read and comprehended you might enable vehicle killing features such as self detonation or skynet. If you change safety settings and your airbags go off in your face... you guessed it... you might die. If these files break/hurt/kill/maim/destroy you&or your car. - Not my fault ... see MIT license
    Last edited by zarboz; 04-23-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Jaaap is offline ☀ ☁ ☂ ☃ ☏ ☠ ☢ ☣ ♕ ♫ ✂
    My Cars
    Alpina B10 e39 / F3
    I have a WinOLS file for an X5 4.4tu (found on the interwebs in 2014 somewhere).
    Is that what you used as a starting point?

My Cars
    98 540 6, SC'ed, 16psi
    Interested to see where this goes. In for updates.
    98 540i 6, 525 whp, 120 mph 1/4, V3 Si S/C'er @16 psi, W/A I/C, Water/Meth, Supersprint Headers, HJS Cats, 3" Custom Exhaust, UUC Twin Disc, Wavetrac LSD, GC Coil Overs, Monoball TA, AEM FP, Aeromotive FPR, AEM Failsafe AFR/Boost, Style 65's w/275's, M5 Steering Box, Eibach Sways, M3 Shifter, Evans Coolant, 85 Deg Stat, PWM Fan, 10" Subs, B.A. speakers, Grom Aux/BT, Still Rolling as my DD!

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    You sir are a scholar and a gentleman. I could practically drive out to West and kiss you on the lips. I'm so excited I might have to take my clothes off and run around the house nekkid. OK its a little chilly for that, maybe later.

WhereTF did you get the English FR!?

I've been looking for that doc for years and the only sources tend to be the Russian "DA! YOU SEND $500 BITCOIN AND ADDRESS AND SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER! I SEND PDF. I PROMISE REAL GOOD." websites.

I haven't looked at your XDF yet, honestly if youve put some maps in there that's great, and I'll have a look later today. Of course it is highly dependent on what program you are writing it for.
    Not sure how you're handling that. One way - the traditional way - is to make an XDF for each program variant - although for 'working purposes' I have been making a master version with same map in multiple times depending on location. That way using Compare Bins you can kind of work on 3 or 4 versions all at the same time - i.e. "find map in A, create definition, find in B, create definition, etc." .

Is your XDF only for one version of the file? The X5? or your 2000 car?

If the WinOLS is indeed the X5 DAMOS that most of the rest of us have, then indeed that has been not exactly the easiest thing to work from.
    It seems to be surprisingly different from the other more common programs for E38/39 M62TU's, very very seldom are maps in exactly the same spot.
    I've done a bit of same as yourself, picking out maps from that DAMOS then finding them again in the actual more common variants of ME7.2 programs.

Basically for E39 purposes there are 3 program variations to care about.
    More or less the most important characteristic is, which kind of evap the cars have:

99-00: USA LDP & all Euro
    2001: USA DMTL
    2002+: USA DMTL-H

I have just been focusing on using the very last versions of all those programs for mapping, so, if anybody wants something from me the first thing we have to do is be sure they are on the latest version of "their" motors program.

The DAMOS X5 version is a weird program number, and is a variation that doesn't show up in EDIABAS DATA files - specifically "ZL-Freigabenummer" 1800 F412. That means program #1800 which never appears in any EDIABAS datasets nor in the history file listings for the ECUs. I have assumed that 1800 program might be some development program that was used internally and that's why there's a DAMOS for it... because it was used during development with other suppliers, but then the 1800 program was finalized and updated to something else and never put into the production databases... but that's just a guess.

Whats interesting is you'll usually find the maps between the OTHER program variants are not that different. Sometimes the map is in the same exact spot for all 3. More often the map moves around a little, but still generally in the same physical ballpark region of the file, and while there are plenty of exceptions, often the tables/maps are identical across the files. The "DAMOS X5" almost always has the maps much further away. Most of the time the 'order' and often the offset of tables is the same, so if Table1 is supposed to be 0x0A bytes away from Table2 in the DAMOS version, then it will often be exact same offset in the other versions, so you can help verify your locating of Table2 by its offset from Table1 as well as its content.

But there are weird exceptions. It helps to look at the table-size prefixes that preceed curves/maps. Recently I found a table that in the X5 and most of the others is 1x8, but in one of the other files is truncated to 1x3, and the prefix confirms that. The values for the table are effectively the same (aka the linearity in the 1x3 basically matches the linearity of the 1x8 tables) but for some reason the cut it down to 3 values for that one program. Sometimes there seem to be typos, like a table that is 6x7 but the very end column looks like 'garbage'... effectively its fine because the end column is for 230km aka 142mph, so... who's going that fast... but once in a while something like that turns up.

Yeah there's absolutely loads of "ME7" info out there for the Audi boys but honestly there's loads of differences and I quickly learned to not waste too much time trying to cross-translate... What you can take from them is the keyword definitions and abbreviations (although having the real ME7.2 FR is much better for that) but their ECU's are a lot different, forced induction being one reason but also while Bosch calls these platforms "ME7", the VW and BMW and Alfa etc. ME7's are all highly customized for each automaker so there's only so much correlation you can use. A good example is the Audi ME7.1 a separate chip for the immob data for instance.

Anyway... I've been doing this in my own time when I can but this might inspire me to cruise a little more. The FR doc is a huge help. Time to supergeekout and spend some time flippin through that MF'er.

Side note: I do find it a bit odd that this is all driven by you wanting to delete DMTL (your car actually should be LDP) since thats an imminently harmless feature really and actually maybe has benefits... but hey I shouldn't complain...
    Last edited by geargrinder; 02-14-2019 at 11:26 AM.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Ahh. So did you pay for the ME7 EWS delete that the Russian dude sells? FWIU its an actual program change, i.e. impossible to EWS delete from just the 'short' calibration file... (which honestly makes sense from a security viewpoint... )
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Cool yeah AFAIU he has licensed the other guys code “legitimately “.

My understanding is the author also put in some fingerprint and tricks to make copying the trick difficult. Maybe his own secret checksum routine or something I dunno. There’s at least one guy who was selling ME7 EWS delete as his own thing but was bootlegging that guys stuff.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    540 m sport
    Quote Originally Posted by zarboz View Post
    I have that winOLS file it has better matching map locations for things like vanos timing than the damos and A2L I have found but was unsure the forums rules on posting mappacks and other WinOLS files as WinOLS is paid software.

The rest of the reference files can be traced down on my github I have some files for a 4.4 a 4.6 as well as Dinan tune files and XDF's for many other BMW's

I have been visiting another forum which specializes in Audi tuning the a4 uses a Me7.1 which is basically the same as the Me7.2 found in the 540i with slightly different software to accommodate the boost and smaller motors etc this has given me the leads to find a functionsramen for the BMW me7.2 as well as making quite a few maps very easily locatable across versions.

I think my strategy is as follows:

Identify and cross map definitions from winols->my DME dump
    Once I have the maps all defined next is to figure out how to disable DTCS and create a list of them
    Then put it on the dyno and play with vanos timing until I get solid return numbers and post methods of achieving
    I read a post yesterday about using a 4" MAF with the M62tu all they needed to do was adjust the richness (KRKTE and LAMFA values) in order to get a solid gain out of that mod.

Right now I am digging through IDA to disassemble the file and learn more about how the actual program inside the DME flows. It is giving me a good concept of how different maps balance on each other and what they require (The A2L has been helpful with this as well as it shows ins and outs for things as well as how the order of how they rely on math parts)

I have a 4 inch maf and 4 inch cai ready. I could flash my car and try it out.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I have the Alpina B10 original DME that a loved and renown tuner copied. If somebody wants me to dump it I'm up for it as soon as I try to find and download winols, rom raider and other tools. You guys are years ahead of me but if you think that can be of any help with vanos maps and such I'd gladly help.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    I'll be formaly trained by a certain board member and will get that dump in boot mode.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    interesting.png

Our DME handles stock turbo

Just need to change the math on fuel injectors for bigger ones and add the turbos then flip the system constant switch
    Last edited by zarboz; 05-02-2019 at 11:44 AM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Looks good Bryan... I'd rather slam my dick in a car door than program in Java so more power to you. The fact that it is separately finding/defining the table axes is great. I'll respond to your last couple emails later - been pretty busy with another project...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    What's a pull request?
    Also, I can't find the DME, not that I haven't searched. It looks like it will take some time, sorry!
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    03 540iA/16 435 F33
    I wish I knew anything about what you people are talking about. You all seem pretty excited!

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    It is extremely exciting. To be able to dig right into the factory DME and play with the tune (FOR FREE!!) is an amazingly enjoyable experience.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by zarboz View Post
    Maybe one day I’ll be crazy enough to cram a turbo in the 540 and try to tune it curious what all you had to adjust to make it work but understand if that’s a secret
    Definitely not a secret! But I was on the DME M5.2, and with it I spent about 6 months struggling with WinOLS, and never did succeed. Finally I gave up, switched the engine control over to an MS3X setup, ditched the MAF, and then life got good.

I can go into as much detail about it as you like, but none of it is very relevant to a project that uses the DME ME7.2. In my case with the M5.2, clearly there was some inscrutable little table lurking somewhere in the code that would suddenly and unpredictably add timing and pull pulsewidth when the engine was in boost. Obviously that is the recipe for a destroyed engine in short order.

Luckily, I was always logging, using Pheno's TestO program, so when I would feel like the engine laid over a little in boost, I would look at the logs and see the mess that happened. After a while I gave up while the engine was still healthy, and switched over to the MS3X.

I had previously used RomRaider to tune the DME 41.1 in my 328, to work quite well with a turbo setup I made for that. I hope for you guys that you have similar success developing the XDF for your ME7.2. When you accomplish that, it will definitely breathe new life into the 540 TUs for fun project cars.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Yes, I definitely was able to handle boost with the DMEs in each of my cars, and even with MAF providing the load signal. I ended up using a generic Nissan 370z style MAF in the 328 in a blow through configuration, and that worked well. I suggest that route instead of blowing through the factory 540 MAF like I did first, or having the turbo draw through the factory MAF like I did second on the 540. The draw through of the factory MAF was better than the blow-through of the factory MAF, but still not as good as the blow-through Nissan MAF setup.

But yes, all you need to do is correlate load to boost levels, and it gets to be quite easy to setup your timing reduction in boost. Fueling levels are even easier, as long as you install a resistor in the MAF signal line, or otherwise scale up your MAF capacity. before you start developing your tune. You need to give your MAF table a LOT more headroom than they have in the factory tune configuration. Assuming you can find all of the tables that will try to do goofy things to your timing advance and fueling at the least opportune moments, you can DEFINITELY run a turbo setup from a factory DME.

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    Zarboz, I happened to stumble across your page from somewhere else when trying to figure out if I could switch a 2001-2003 tune from DMTL to LDP as I have some tunes from TerraPhantm that enabled M5 warm up lights and oil temp gauge to work on 2000 740iA and 540iA, but no manual tune. I've asked him to help make one for the manual, but I think he's been pretty busy lately and I've got two people's DMEs on my bench waiting for it. Would love to be able to do this for them. I have a tool that's supposed to correct checksums as well. If you know what value to switch, that would be great. I should then be able to modify the 2001-2003 540i6 cruisefix/m5 cluster modded tune to work with 2000s.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight530i View Post
    Zarboz, I happened to stumble across your page from somewhere else when trying to figure out if I could switch a 2001-2003 tune from DMTL to LDP as I have some tunes from TerraPhantm that enabled M5 warm up lights and oil temp gauge to work on 2000 740iA and 540iA, but no manual tune. I've asked him to help make one for the manual, but I think he's been pretty busy lately and I've got two people's DMEs on my bench waiting for it. Would love to be able to do this for them. I have a tool that's supposed to correct checksums as well. If you know what value to switch, that would be great. I should then be able to modify the 2001-2003 540i6 cruisefix/m5 cluster modded tune to work with 2000s.
    There are patches in the works to make the m5 cluster and apply the cruise fix
    When it’s ready I’m sure it will be posted in the mix

This contribution for the patches came from a forum member.

Let me dig out one of my spare Dme and flash it with auto and pull a dump
    Then flash with manual and pull a dump
    I’m sure I can come up with a auto>manual patch

For the DMTL to LDP again not sure on the mechanics portion

From the dme side there is no switch for the LDP only to disable the DTC from reporting whether or not the DMTL is there / working

Lemme know if I might be able to help you out at all with anything

Also curious why you don’t just update the dme software on the 2000 model DME ??
    Last edited by zarboz; 03-14-2019 at 11:22 PM.

My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    I think that might take more work than just some flags. Maybe.

The programs change 3 times for different evap systems...

LDP -> DMTL -> DMTL-H (with heater). Thats' why there are 3 evap variants depending on the cars hardware.

Multiply that x Auto/Manual and you get basically 6 program variant 'streams'.

As we all know ME7 auto/manual is not just a calibration flash, it needs the different program. The question is, is the 2001-03 stuff back-compatible for evap such that you can just change some variables, or, is it in the actual programming code. Mirza will have to ring in whether he did some binary hacking on the others to get that to work or if its all in the calibration. I could see a scenario where they are back-compatible but not forward aka you can change flags for the 2003 program to be 'anything' but you can't change the 2000 DME to work with DMTL... But I also could see some program-hard-wire problem...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg

Former:

My Cars
    2002 E46 BMW 325i
    Subscribed. Would like to help if possible. I have a friend with a 540i that wants me to tune his DME

My Cars
    1990 325is, 1998 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
    Subscribed. Would like to help if possible. I have a friend with a 540i that wants me to tune his DME

Current development is happening in commit fashion on my github account.

Once we have something that is explained well enough and versioned well enough to let the masses consume I will make a post detailing instructions etc. Until then if you want to tinker / contribute the files I am working on CURRENTLY are on my github

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    zarboz, check your PM's, JC, you've got mail
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Great news! Now we need some easy open source program and definitions like RomRaider's
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    00 528i, 01 540i
    I have no idea what's going on but i'm excited !

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast