Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2000 M roadster overheating

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Graf Spee View Post
    The airlock was caused by the low coolant level and the thermostat housing leak is yet to be fixed....
    The term airlock is usually applied to a pocket of air left by not completely bleeding the system after a refill. A dry head caused by a coolant leak is more than an airlock and can't be corrected by bleeding.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by newbimmerguy12 View Post
    I figured I would hear that.

Many users on this forum are older guys with a little bit of change to spare. This is my first car. I got it when I was 17, now 21. I'm a junior in college, and my parts come out of my student loans. So.... no.

If it makes you feel any better, instead of replacing the whole serpentine belt tensioner when the bearing died, I just pressed the bearing out and pressed a new one in. Then I broke it in the process. Then I took my old ac pulley, pressed the bearing out, machined a sleeve, and pressed the bearing into that. >

I like to consider myself a mechanic and not just a parts swapper. This isn't the first part I have modified or built from scratch and it won't be the last.
    I may have one I can give you. I think I replaced one with metal, if my memory is correct it will be in a box somewhere. If you'll pay shipping (should be under $3 ) I'll give it to you. If you send me your address, I'll go look for it in my boxes of parts.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    You can borrow a cooling system pressure tester from most chain auto parts stores for free. This will allow you to pressurize the cooling system and pin point the leak without heating up the engine. This saves a lot of time and frustration when dealing with coolant leaks.

My Cars
    Z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    The term airlock is usually applied to a pocket of air left by not completely bleeding the system after a refill. A dry head caused by a coolant leak is more than an airlock and can't be corrected by bleeding.
    If that is so then I must have just had the mild version I was able to correct it entirely just by bleeding the radiator which I failed to do initially

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12