Thread: VF supercharged 95 e36 m3 running rich. HELP!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

VF supercharged 95 e36 m3 running rich. HELP!

Hi,
    I have a 95 m3 with a VF supercharger kit. The car is running rich. It sits at 12.5 at idle and cruising. mid 10s at WOT. Im using a AEM X series wideband. It is throwing a 1221 code but there is no hesitation or idle issues, however the car feels slower. Im also going through gas like no tomorrow.

VERY occasionally, the car will snap out of it and return to "normal" AFR readings (idling in 14s mabe even a tad lean, 12.5 at WOT). It feels much faster when its like this.

So far I have replaced the following:
    Thermostat
    02 sensor (I think it was fouled out)
    wideband sensor. (was fouled out)

Ive been in contact with VF and they haven't been much help.

I tried putting the stock chip back in, car wouldn't start, so i found a red label 413 DME and put that in with the GIAC chip, still no start. So I have stock injectors on their way. Should be here by friday. Hopefully I can throw those in and the car will start on the stock chip. At least then I can drive the car.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

My Cars
    94 325is
    Try cleaning your maf.

My Cars
    97' m52 turbo
    Me thinks you need stock

Maf
    Injectors
    Dme

For car to start

Pull maf and check for oil on it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Basically a "tuning package" is 3 things.

1. New computer
    2. Injectors
    3. MAF

A tuner sets the computer to run with the upsized injectors and the MAF of his/her choice. If you change one of those things its going to throw everything into a tail spin, that is why when you put the stock chip in the car it would not start. I think you need to put all the aftermarket stuff back in. Keep the supercharger on and make sure the correct MAF, injectors and tune for the supercharger are there. Then its time to check the simple things - Fuel, spark and air.

Trace it all the way through the motor.

1. Look at the air filter and make sure it is clean and free of debris. Replace with VF's recommend filter
    2. Inspect the intake boots and make sure they are free of any oil or anything other than clean plastic
    3. Clean your MAF (Potentially replace the MAF)
    4. Make sure you injectors arn't leaking
    5. Pull your spark plugs and make sure they are clean, correct and properly gapped
    6. Replace you O2 sensor. Its only 1 on OBDI and you can get a cheap OEM one on amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If after all that is done, you could consider looking into a different tune

Good luck!

My Cars
    '95 330ti
    I have the same setup and had a similar problem. It turns out the seller passed off Chinese eBay injectors as real Bosch. They are really hard to spot and I swapped out MAF & chips before I found the problem.
    Last edited by M5Yates; 02-15-2019 at 04:30 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Hey guys, thanks for your input. I forgot to subscribe to my own thread so I didnt get any notifications. DOH!

I realized the car wouldn't start because of the high flow injectors and MAF. So I ordered OEM injectors, and am looking for a new 3.5" MAF. I know the 3.5" maf wont work on stock chip. But MAFs aren't cheap, so if the 3.5 maf doesn't work, then I will pull the supercharger off and go back to stock stuff.

I already tried cleaning the existing MAF, nothing changed, but I've been hearing that if the MAF is dying slowly it will do what im seeing. So im hoping that's what it is. My air filter is disgusting, its right in the brake duct hole, so its been picking up a bunch of debris, I am going to clean it this weekend.

I also swapped out my stock 02 sensor and wideband sensor as noted in OP.

One thing I noticed recently is that if I leave the car in high RPM for a bit, the CEL goes away, and the AFRs return to semi normal. By high rpm I mean track RPM range, over 5.5k-7k. But as soon as I start cruising at normal RPM, we are back to pig rich. just thought would throw that out there.
    Last edited by BlipBoy; 02-18-2019 at 01:17 AM.

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    If so then defenetely you have problems with o2 sensors. Try to full load it. If during that afr is ok then o2. Also, did you put resistor on wire in your MAF?
    e39 540i 6speed Supercharged,
    E36 v8 m62 with m60 headers, Turbp HX-40 0.6-0.5bar or 9psi, custom exhaust & Turbo manifold, injectors 440cc, ECU Invent EMS-2, Mishimoto Intercooler and oilcooler, etc…

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dovlet View Post
    If so then defenetely you have problems with o2 sensors. Try to full load it. If during that afr is ok then o2.
    Whats the question? I don't understand what you are getting at here?

Quote Originally Posted by dovlet View Post
    Also, did you put resistor on wire in your MAF?
    it looks like it yea.
    Lycf8CCWSK6hdtPjiR3WAg.jpg

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    Did I say something wrong? I wanted to help you cause I had the same issue. Try to go through my threads, you may find a solution.
    E36 v8 m62 with m60 headers, Turbp HX-40 0.6-0.5bar or 9psi, custom exhaust & Turbo manifold, injectors 440cc, ECU Invent EMS-2, Mishimoto Intercooler and oilcooler, etc…

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Sorry if came off as being an ass. Its hard to convey tone over text. I was being genuine. I simply don't understand what was prefaced by , "If so".

My Cars
    1995 s52 M3
    You have a vf kit with a giac chip but you mentioned a 3.5" MAF. The original vf kit came with a resistor to use inline with the factory MAF plus 32lb red fuel injectors. What's your setup?

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I think its a 3.5". Im eyeballing OD tho.

the MAF resistor seems to be spliced in already.

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    Ok, try to do next. Warm your engine and full load it on 3-4-5 gear. Meanwhile check your AFR, during full load your fuel map changing to modified map and lambda is not correcting it any more. So, if your AFR is somewhere between 11.5 - 13.5 during full load, it means you have a problem with lambda.

My Cars
    1995 s52 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlipBoy View Post
    I think its a 3.5". Im eyeballing OD tho.

the MAF resistor seems to be spliced in already.
    Ok well i would start there. It’s suppose to have the factory maf. What’s the part number? What’s the car history...did you just acquire it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I bought the car with the issue.

Does anyone have any ideas why the car goes to safe/good AFRs when driven hard?
    Last edited by BlipBoy; 03-01-2019 at 09:11 AM.

My Cars
    e36 v8 Turbo HX-40
    I explained it above. One more time, when you full gas your ECU changes map and does not use LAMBDA to correct your AFR. When normal drive, ECU use another map where using LAMBDA to correct your AFR. So, for me, you have a problem with LAMBDA.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    ive decided to just remove the supercharger. if the car still runs rich then i can narrow it down easier