Thread: Bricked with MHD

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual

Bricked with MHD

I have a 2008 335xi 6MT, and I just downloaded and tried to flash the N54 stage 1 tune. I followed all instructions to the letter, including the charger and airplane mode. The application hung up at 43% / 15 minutes for about an hour. Finally, I aborted the operation and tried again. At that point, I got the message "Waiting to complete previous task." After a while, I force stopped the application. Now neither MHD nor any other scanner can connect to the DME. The car is of course a crank no start at this point.

Anybody know what to do next?
    Last edited by relative4; 02-12-2019 at 03:19 PM.

My Cars
    02/95 BMW 325is

Bricked with MHD

I had this same issue with my ‘07. I contacted MHD and was told to let the car sit for 10 minutes to let all the modules fall asleep then flash back to stock. It worked for me.

I don’t know exactly what they meant by “kick” the car, but I gave it a good smack...
    Last edited by BimmerJM325is; 02-12-2019 at 04:02 PM.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    Thanks. Tried that and also disconnected the battery for a while, no luck yet.

I installed WinKFP, and I'm trying to figure out how to reflash with this thing. In Komfort mode, I entered the VIN. I then pressed F3 to try programming, and I get Error 209: UIF cannot be read. Anyone know what that means?

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Quote Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
    I have a 2008 335xi 6MT, and I just downloaded and tried to flash the N54 stage 1 tune. I followed all instructions to the letter, including the charger and airplane mode. The application hung up at 43% / 15 minutes for about an hour. Finally, I aborted the operation and tried again. At that point, I got the message "Waiting to complete previous task." After a while, I force stopped the application. Now neither MHD nor any other scanner can connect to the DME. The car is of course a crank no start at this point.

Anybody know what to do next?

Sorry to hear.
    Have you contacted MHD for advice? (not being difficult, just checking)
    I've had failed uploads, but could do the 10 minute shut-down thing to regain access.
    I would also re-download the DME tune and verify it was not corrupt/different size than expected.

** EDIT **
    BimmerJM325is, you've got my vote for post humor of the week.
    Last edited by Codes2; 02-12-2019 at 06:04 PM.

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Codes2 View Post
    Have you contacted MHD for advice?
    So far all I've gotten out of them is basically "try again." I recognize they're in Germany and it was quite late in the day over there when I contacted them. Hopefully they'll have other advice in the AM.
    Are you gonna eat that?

My Cars
    '08 E90 335xi manual
    MHD support repeatedly assured me that I had bad hardware. Finally I identified it - my phone was dying. I bought a new phone and immediately flashed the tune with no problems. Wow this car is fast now!

My Cars
    02/95 BMW 325is
    Good to hear you got this resolved! CHEERS

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Very nice indeed. Started to sound like a corner-case. Glad it's not bricked.

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    Quote Originally Posted by relative4 View Post
    Wow this car is fast now!

Do you know how much boost and what your timing is?
    A tune does feel so nice after driving stock for a bit.

I went the JB4 route and love the flexibility.
    After the first year, I added a custom tune by Trebila.
    Sitting at 24 PSI by 3000 RPM with timing that stays out around 11 points. (also with dual Meth (100%) injection)
    The stock twins don't hold 24 PSI as the RPM climes, but in a E93 I can get sub 4 seconds now.
    Turbos will cook in time, as the WGDC are tapped out. That's OK though. Will move to RB Twos Plus at that time and target 575whp.