Thread: Lifters noise

My Cars
    BMW E39 525i Touring

Lifters noise

Hello guys.
    Maybe someone will be able to help me with my problem what I have whit my E39 525i from 2001 European model.
    Start from the beginning after two intake manifold completed broken after misfire in the intake during the first cold start I decided to open the engine to look for the problem. After checking I found some hydraulic lifters stuck, I changed and the rest cleaned up.
    First start was ok no more misfire during the cold but when the engine began to warm up also the famous ticking noise of the lifter came on,what I don't haven't before. Star the bleeding procedure whit no luck.The ticking noise from the exhaust side was there
    The I decided to open the engine second time thinking I do something wrong.
    Change then all the o-ring from the oil pump, overflow valve, gasket from the oil filter house,the small o-ring from inside the filter, and 12 lifters new oil 5w40 Castro check oil pomp , start the engine whit no problem or noise at cold. Begin to warm up noise was back. I do 5 times the bleeding procedure whit no luck.
    The new 12 lifters there are on the exhaust side but I have the same noise whit the original one.
    Before opening the engine, was queit like a cat except the engine have almost 400.000km
    Guys any ideas what the heck is wrong.
    I'm pulling my hair out.
    Thanks in advance.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Have you checked to see what the oil pressure is when the engine is hot and at idle.
    Are yu sure the ticking is coming from the exhaust lifters and not from the intake lifters?

Welcome to the forum Bebencino.
    Last edited by JimLev; 02-11-2019 at 09:17 AM.

My Cars
    BMW E39 525i Touring
    Yes I'm sure is from the exhaust side. I can hear very loud from piston 1 and 6,i just checked whit the stetoscop.
    For the oil pressure I'm waiting for delivery tomorrow or Wednesday for the oil pressure meter and I'm going to check.
    For the moment when is hot the light for oil pressure warning is not even blinking. Also when is hot after starting is direct off and I know the sensor is ok.
    What value must be if you whant to help me with some info because I don't find anything on the internet.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome JimLev.

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    If the i6 uses the same oil pressure switch as the V8, that is set to turn the oil pressure light on at 7 PSI, (about 1/2 bar).
    You probably should see 50+PSI when you first start a cold engine, hot idle pressure around 10PSI.
    If it really was an oil pressure problem the ticking would be coming from all the lifters.

My Cars
    BMW E39 525i Touring
    Thanks for info. I know if was probably problem whit the oil pressure then was all lifters. But I was thinking old school, little bit lose one place a little bit another place old gasket old o-rings so I change everything because the noise is only on pistons 1 and 6 exhaust side. I was thinking yap there are the fare piston oil is coming from the middle of the head pistons and maybe is not enough pressure. This is the biggest question way is only pistons 1 and 6.Anyway in waiting for the meter to check also the pressure.
    I'm going to rebuild again also the Vanos, I changed last year only the o-rings whitout the ratel bering. Maybe is there the problem... I don't know....
    The big question is way before opening was no problem and after whit original lifters after cleaning became the noise?
    If nothing is going to work then I going to see what I'm doing.
    Update whil follow.
    Thanks.

My Cars
    BMW E39 525i Touring

My Cars
    BMW E39 525i Touring
    So guys.
    UPDATE
    Oil pressure is ok. 12psi in idle hot engine.
    Wat I found on the lifters is an problem from fabrication.
    Number 1 is original, number 2 and 3 they are from new lifter what I buy . If you look closely at the hole where is the small metal ball cane see the problem. Is an defective product.The hole is not perfect like the original and have rest of metal after drilling, so that valve is falling to close perfectly lossing oil.
    Number 3 is little cleaned hoping is going to be ok.
    So back to work.

IMG_20190216_120603.jpg

My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    Thanks for the update.
    That ball is a check valve that keeps the oil inside the lifter to keep it pumped up.
    Where did you buy those lifters from?

My Cars
    BMW E39 525i Touring
    I buy the lifters from an site here in Belgium.
    www.autodoc.be
    Lifters there are from JP GROUP.
    In the foto 1 is the original one.,i was looking for some lake this but I can't find it anywhere so I bought different models. What I read about this is like upgrading from 2002.
    Anyway I'm going to see today in 2..3 hours .. Hope is okIMG_20190216_154947.jpg
    IMG_20190216_154124.jpg