Thread: My first e32

My Cars
    E32

My first e32

Alright so I recently bought a 1989 735il and I need to fix the dash but I honest to god have no idea how. Sometimes the miles show up on the lcd and sometimes they don’t. Gas gauge works when it wants to, speedometer loves to dance and the tachometer claims I’m pushing 6k rpm off the line (I’m not) so I know I got a short in there somewhere. I’d also like some info on how to drain the tranny fluid so I can change it as it is 30 year old fluid. Also really would be helpful if someone could help me find a parts car as I wish to fully restore this on a tight budget. I live in Savannah GA.

My Cars
    1990 735I (E32) M30
    First of all, A Big Welcome to the E32 board. You'll find people here who know your car inside out. Shogun will give you a link to a way of removing your cluster to replace bad Caps that could be causing all your cluster problems. If it's not something you're able to do yourself you can easily exchange or have repaired your own cluster by Programa here in Florida. Not a lot of money these days. Depending on the color of the back of your cluster from 150 to about 275 dollars. But a lot of people here have replaced the capacitors that cause these problems themselves. I'm not that talented. Does the car run? Have you started it up yet? Is there fresh gas in the tank or is that also 30 years old? You don't want to make things worse if that's the case. You'll probably have no problem getting used parts for your car without a parts vehicle. Also, a lot of changes took place with the M30 in July of 1990. Remember that in looking for parts. Put your VIN number here so everyone can have a good look and help you with all the crazy stuff we've all be through. I'm not a mechanic, but I can tell you there are some people on this board who have all the answers. Again.......welcome.
    Jeff
    1990 735I (Auto) E32 Feb 1990 to Present
    1996 Z3 Roadster (5 Speed) E36/7 Jan 1999 to Dec 1999
    1983 733I (5 Speed) E23 April 1983 to Feb 1990
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d4tHoHGaJo
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av20xCMMocSsyEpl...h_oOk?e=ekIcAT

My Cars
    E32
    Thanks Jeff! I feel at home already. It’s currently a daily driver with 245k miles on it. It needs a major tune up. Most parts are original and barley hanging in there. I need to do the following. New spark plugs and wires, new power steering pump and pulley because currently it whines and sometimes cuts out, need to figure out why there’s a fuel smell in the car (replaces the fuel filter already because it was 10 years old) need to fix the driver side door not unlocking with key but the rest unlock. I’m almost certain I need a new ECU because my little side display by the radio tells me I have xxx miles left till empty and it stays that way and it tells me I have lights that are out that clearly aren’t out. I need new brake linings (not sure what that is but the car says so) needs new paint some new hood struts, new rear bumper and front bumper. Badges for bmw and a new front seat. Sadly parts for this are impossible for me to find that aren’t crazy expensive and I’m not sure what years I can swap parts out off. Also the vin is WBAGC4314K3318878

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    o.k., let's start
    cluster could be bad capacitors, also change all cluster bulbs http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/dash...dash_caps.html
    speedometer loves to dance>>>speed sensor http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Mainte...eed_sensor.htm

Tranny fluid change on the 735 4HP22 is easy, there is a drain hole and a dipstick to check fluid and refill. If you want to change the ATF filter too, get a transmission filter kit with filter, o-ring and pan gasket, in that case the ATF pan has to come off.
    Info https://www.europeantransmissions.co...MWtechinfo.htm

"it tells me I have lights that are out that clearly aren’t out." >>>>maybe the bulbs or bulb holders are not that good anymore so that the check control module gives an alarm. Which lights?

Start with the most important repairs, cosmetics come later
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    E32
    Wow! Thanks man!!!! It’s saying my brake lights are not working or tail light and it comes on randomly when driving. I’ll pull over and test it and nothings wrong. I can’t wait to change the tranny fluid although I’m about concerned about changing the filter even though I know it needs to happen.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    that is a common fault. http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_25.htm
    or try this , go to my website below, click on the left fixes, a new window will open, go to brakes, click: Check control fault message repair, there is a pdf file with pictures

Check once more the exact warning, brake lights, brake light circuit, taillights?

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    Welcome, you’ve joined a great group of guys on here, a very helpful and knowledgeable group led by the mad genius Shogun. These guys will make E32 ownership enjoyable instead of painful

If it is “brake circuit error”, you will need a new brake light switch, and do NOT cheap out on this! Get the genuine BMW or equivalent OEM part. I’m convinced the cheap switch installed by my former car’s PO caused a meltdown that burned my car down. Never ever cheap out on car parts, that’s one piece of advice I can give you.

I use FCPEuro to get most of my parts, and the dealer for everything else that FCP does not stock.

Probably a good idea to go ahead and change the engine oil as well, who knows the last time it was done. I personally use Mobil Delvac 15W40 “diesel” motor oil because it is the right spec for the M30 and has good zinc content in it for anti-wear. No need to go synthetic!
    Last edited by youngbimmer; 02-10-2019 at 10:22 PM.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Just out of curiosity I checked all possible warnings in the check control = at the bottom of the cluster = check control display and in the cluster in a 1992 owners manual:
    telltale and warnings
    left/right flashing turn indicators
    high headlight beam
    trailer turn indicators*
    ABS
    handbrake
    brake and steering hydraulics
    engine oil pressure
    EML (on E32 with EML)
    ASC/ASC+T
    fasten seat belt*
    battery charge
    front foglights
    rear foglights

check control
    priority 1
    brake pressure/low brake fluid
    engine oil pressure
    coolant temperature
    hand-brake on
    no brake light
    brake light electric
    suspension levelling
    speed limit*

priority 2
    trans program
    brake linings
    washer fluid low
    door open
    boot lid open
    1 brake light
    dip beam
    side light *
    tail light
    F/fog light*
    R/fog light*
    lic. plate light
    trailer light *

priority 3
    engine oil low
    P.A.S fluid*
    coolant level
    check control
    oil level sensor
    light on? *
    fasten seat belt*

some depend on country version and CCM version, more details http://www.e38.org/e32/E32_1992_Owne..._optimised.pdf

In case you get a warning for a part which is actually not installed in the car, then it is time to resolder the check control module. There are many malfunction caused by haircracks or old solder joints, even for items which are not on the car but which are inside the CCM, for example trailer light, or ESD regelt = electronic slip control for final drive (which was never installed on E34 and E32). Here is a lenghty instruction from one of the regional German E34 forums, of course in German language, but the pics clearly show you where to pay attention http://www.e34-welt.de/tips_tricks/R...0e34%20e32.pdf