Thread: 1976 barn find, need advise

My Cars
    2000 M roadster

1976 barn find, need advise

Here's the story:

Uncle has a 1976 4 speed, blue, sunroof, 150K miles
    When stationed in Germany he purchased the car new and drove it while in country.
    He brought the car stateside once he returned stateside.
    Drove it for many years.

Car now sits in a family barn and hasn't been started in probably 20 years.
    Ran when it was parked.

I'd like to keep this car in the family, he's getting older, is not married and has no children.

He thinks it's worth "a lot" and i don't know what that number actually is. he won't say.
    i once heard him say $15K and then more recently heard $5K.
    He's not actively selling it but wants to sell it to me.

I have plenty of shop space, have other cars (BMW's), motorcycles and machines and a full rolling tool-chest and do most of my own maintenance.

The car is 8 hours from me and i've seen it, my instincts are that after draining and replacing the oil, pulling the plugs, and rotating the engine enough to circulate fresh oil, it might run.
    i'm sure all the rubber seals and gaskets are shot, so i am not unrealistic.
    Floors seem solid, trunk seems solid, there is some rust in the usual places. there's a big stain in the pain where a leak in the barn roof has dripped for years.
    I would trailer it home.

I don't need another project, but do love the car and story and would be willing to take it on.

i have no intent of restoring, only preserving from further decay, and making her road worthy and maybe getting him behind the seat again. it would thrill him

ignoring the family story, Where should we start on price?? trying to remain objective here.

i know without more info, it's hard to give advice, but i'm looking here for your thoughts.

I appreciate any perspective from this great group. (i have more photos but apparently 5 is the limit)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by crashgordan; 02-10-2019 at 03:41 PM.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Crash - saw your similar post on FAQ. Looks like you’re getting good feedback there.

Looking at the pics, you might be pleasantly surprised what a good compound/wax job might do on that paint finish. Arktic Blue Metallic is a rarer 02 color BTW. And if you don’t find much rust (check front floor pans, frame rails, rockers, and rear shock towers especially) and the engine/trans are good, you might be closer to your higher number than your lower. Change out all rubber bits, and inspect/replace brakes and you might be driving...

Tom

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Hi Tom, yes, i cross posted (based on your advice to another member here)
    i'm seeing lots of good perspective.
    Thanks for writing. and for your advice.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    It looks very complete I'd buy it

My Cars
    71 2002, 76 2002,96 328i
    I agree fully with Tom's assessment regarding the condition of the paint and how it might be brought back to a reasonable shine, especially since you are not looking to do a complete restoration. You don't appear to have any rust visible at the vertical trailing edges of the front fender (can only see the passenger side front fender in the pics) or at the bottom rear of the rear quarter panel, or at the rocker panel, although it is hard to tell for sure from the limited pics with not such great lighting. The car does look fairly complete and, if the rust areas that Tom mentioned check out, it's definitely a worthwhile project for your purposes and more. Not sure about what a fair price would be, but you could buy it from him for a reasonably low price ($4k-$5k) with the proviso that he would have the right of first refusal if you ever decided to sell it after you restored it to running condition.

Regards, Maurice.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    more photos...
    Last edited by crashgordan; 02-12-2019 at 09:17 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    couple more

My Cars
    71 2002, 76 2002,96 328i
    The additional photos confirm that it is definitely a worthwhile, doable project. A couple of pluses are the sheepskin seat covers, which may have protected the seats, and the dashboard, which looks like it did not get fried by the sun!

I think if you would spend a few days cleaning, washing, compounding, polishing and waxing, the results would get you very motivated.

Regards, Maurice.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Thank you gentleman...

Seems the car was garaged (shed had a leak) has been out of the sun for the last 20+ years.

having my brother in law take a look at the trunk and spare tire well as well as floor boards and rockers in the next week or so.

He's closer and a car guy, so he will know what to look for and send photos.

My Cars
    Any new developments?

My Cars
    1972 2002
    From what I can see I would pay 5 if I was in the market. You can get a driver for the 12 - 15 range. Good luck with the project.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    I have rec'd some new photos... the floors seem solid, the trunk is solid and the shock tower mounts. some rust on the pass side front fender by the rocker panel...
    Hoping to make something happen here soon.
    i'll keep you posted!

and thanks 722002 for the input!

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    update: Uncle passed a year ago. We never settled the above car convo.
    My aunt, his sister, reached out and continued the convo. She knew it was an ongoing convo.

We agreed on a price and it will be moved to a dry barn until I can fetch it, likely a year + as I am about to start a barn build and have no spot for it.

haven't told the wife yet. may just surprise her :/

My Cars
    80 BMW 320i, 81 Porsche 911sc, 91 Mazda RX-7 conv.
    Very exciting to see this. Your uncle should look down and smile.
    a stock US 320i handles like a wet mop and is as slow as dog turds. - jrcook320