Thread: BC in pre facelift z3

My Cars
    Z3. 1.8 X1. 2.8xdrive

BC in pre facelift z3

Hello, i have a z3 from 1998. my clock has missing picksels so i install a clock with BC functions. i also install the stalk with BC function. My clock is working fine but no BC functions? I try to enter the BC with with the Inpa software but getting IFH-0006? Anyone have a idea what to do? The stalk is working i check it and i get the massa on the brown red wire when i push the button.
    I am now strugeling with it for 2 weeks so any help is welcom.
    Gr Teun (Holland).

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I wonder if simply adding an OBC and its stalk will make a functioning OBC. An OBC might have a more complicated harness than a simple clock.
    See the last part of this FAQ:
    http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_....html#contents
    I seems to say that the OBC has a multi-pin plug that would be different from a clock plug, and that the plug (harness) connects the OBC to the car's ECU, and that the CODE function of the radio is used to code the OBC to the ECU.

The coding requirement is indicated in this ECST part which is called an uncoded clock, but is actually an OBC according to its PN in RealOEM:
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...k/62138377996/
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=62138377996
    Last edited by Vintage42; 02-10-2019 at 07:39 AM.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Yes, it might be a little more complicated than that. The wiring harness for the OBC gives access to the car's internal data transmission lines so the OBC can get fuel info, etc. It actually connects through the instrument cluster, which seems to act as a gateway.

If the OBC was available in your year of car, you probably have those lines built into your harness (they just weren't connected if your car came with clock only). If it wasn't available, then you need to get those data transmission lines from your instrument cluster somehow.

Just some thoughts...

x.jpg
    Last edited by raubritter; 02-10-2019 at 09:57 AM.

My Cars
    Z3. 1.8 X1. 2.8xdrive
    Hi i buy a used clock BC is there a way to uncoded it? I see on Ebay you can buy used uncoded clock/BC so there must be a way to uncoded a used one i think. I am now installing DIS software maybe it is possible to do this with DIS?

- - - Updated - - -

Hi in my car all the harness was there just plug an play. There is a different connector for the clock and the clock with BC functions but the connector was there.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Good you started a thread, because my PM inbox keeps on filling up. Too much to keep up to.

You do not need to uncode it, you can just code it to your car with NCS Expert or I suppose DIS.

But first you need to find out why you have no connection to the other car modules. That will require a lot more investigative work.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '99 Z3 2.8 '16 I3 REX
    I did this to my '99, did away with the clock, replaced with BC.
    The correct plug was located within the console, different from the clock. Placed a new turn sig stalk. Had to add an outside temp probe, again connector was there.
    It did work, but the MPG computer was/is wrong.

Nothing else was needed. The BC came from a wrecked Z3, might have been a 318. Was a long time ago

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    I've also done this and it works fine (you do need to add the temperature probe to get the external temp).

What actually does and doesn't work? Does the button on the stalk actually scroll through the functions?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Teun View Post
    ... a clock with BC functions....
    In the past, this device has been called the On-Board Computer (OBC) rather than the Board Computer. The meaning of "on-board" is accurate and completely different from "board", which makes no sense in this context.
    http://www.bmwe36blog.com/bmw-on-boa...d-secrets.html
    http://www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/obc.html#pppp
    On-board is also the name that RealOEM uses:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partxref?q=62138377996

Quote Originally Posted by Giznaz View Post
    I did this to my '99, did away with the clock, replaced with BC... It did work, but the MPG computer was/is wrong...
    Here is a DIY titled Adjusting the On-Board Computer (OBC) MPG:
    https://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...ng-the-OBC-MPG
    Last edited by Vintage42; 02-11-2019 at 07:32 AM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    The adjustment to the MPG is only valid if the OBC came from a car with the same number of cylinders. The adjustment is a way to fine tune the calculated MPG but, as far as I understand, is not enought to adjust the difference that an OBC from a 6-cylinder can will shown in a 4-cylinder, and vice-versa.

My Cars
    Z3. 1.8 X1. 2.8xdrive
    Ok i did install the obc and the stalk. Only the clock works nothing hapens when i push the button on the stalk. When i push both buttons on the obc i can make the change between 12H and 24H. O i have inpa working and there is a option for the obc but i get the error ifh0006. I will now try to install DIS and hope i can activaded the obc.(sorry for my englisch)

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    If you can't connect with NCS or INPA, then DIS will not work either.
    This isn't a software problem, but a connection problem of some sort.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    It might be 'locked' if it displays only clock. Not sure what can be done about this, you will have to research. But here is some info on how you can test the module outside the car (apparently you are supposed to do this BEFORE you buy it):

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-codin...z3-coupe-2964/

Here is a quote from that page on how to test it:

"If you buy a second hand OBC Module, check the module before pay (if you want):
    - Add 12V to the Pin 5 & Pin 10 (Batt & Accessory)
    - Add Ground (Battery negative) to the pin 6
    - Short several times the pin 1 to Pin 6 aka 'pull ground' (this emulate the BC button)"

This might be a place to start, to see if the OBC module itself actually works properly.
    Last edited by raubritter; 02-11-2019 at 02:10 PM.

My Cars
    Z3. 1.8 X1. 2.8xdrive
    Ok i was hoping this was a easy upgrade. I bought 2 obc on markplaats.nl ( like ebay) and the seller was sure they work. But both the same only clock. Maybe ncs will solve the problem but i do not know at this moment how to work with it. Inpa give the error ifh0006 even when it is not connected to the car???

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeRunner919 View Post
    The adjustment to the MPG is only valid if the OBC came from a car with the same number of cylinders. The adjustment is a way to fine tune the calculated MPG but, as far as I understand, is not enought to adjust the difference that an OBC from a 6-cylinder can will shown in a 4-cylinder, and vice-versa.
    Where do you see that the number of cylinders matters to the OBC?
    The MPG adjustment link in Post #8 appears to pertain to fuel flow, like the amount of fuel dispensed by the injectors, rather than number of cylinders, . I think there can be a lot of overlap in fuel flow rate between a 4 and a 6, and I don't see why there should be two different OBCs for the two engines.
    I have recorded my 4-cylinder's MPG for every tank for 6 years and 17,000 miles, and it has ranged between 24 and 32 MPG. Surely those fuel flow rates are not outside what one OBC could measure for a 6-cylinder.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 02-11-2019 at 02:48 PM.

My Cars
    Z3. 1.8 X1. 2.8xdrive
    O forgotten to say at this moment i do not have install the outside temp sensor. But i do not think thats te problem? I will buy one if the obc works or buy one if thats the problem

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Teun View Post
    ... i do not have install the outside temp sensor. But i do not think thats te problem? I will buy one if the obc works or buy one if thats the problem
    Whether it is a problem or not, it is not expensive and would complete the information from the OBC. My car has a fully functional OBC with temperature sensor. I assume your car is pre-wired for this sensor.
    https://www.ecstuning.com/b-original...811383204~oes/

My Cars
    Z3. 1.8 X1. 2.8xdrive
    Yes the connector is there and the sensor is not expensive but if the obc doesn’t work why should i buy the sensor. If anyone has a 100% working obc pre facelift let me know. I am now strugelibg for 2 weeks and now it had to work😡

My Cars
    '99 Z3 2.8 '16 I3 REX
    Did you get the correct connector for the turn sig stalk?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Where do you see that the number of cylinders matters to the OBC?
    The MPG adjustment link in Post #8 appears to pertain to fuel flow, like the amount of fuel dispensed by the injectors, rather than number of cylinders, . I think there can be a lot of overlap in fuel flow rate between a 4 and a 6, and I don't see why there should be two different OBCs for the two engines.
    I have recorded my 4-cylinder's MPG for every tank for 6 years and 17,000 miles, and it has ranged between 24 and 32 MPG. Surely those fuel flow rates are not outside what one OBC could measure for a 6-cylinder.
    It has nothign to do with the relative MPG achievable, but with the pulse width and/or number of injector pulses per engine revolution that is used to calculate MPG by the OBC. This is from experience.

- - - Updated - - -

OP, it sounds like the stalk switch isn't working or connected properly. Follow the tests advised by raubritter in post 12 to emulate the control stalk.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    It has nothign to do with the relative MPG achievable, but with the pulse width and/or number of injector pulses per engine revolution that is used to calculate MPG by the OBC. This is from experience...
    I think the same, but don't understand why there might be different OBCs for the 4 and 6 cylinders. Do you see a reference saying the number of cylinders matters to the OBC when it is counting the width and number of pulses?

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    It's the same OBC, but the 'coding' refers to letting the OBC know what sort of engine it is attached to. I have an OBC from a 6-cylinder car in my 1.9 and it is way out on the MPG. I assume the pulse width on a 4-cyl is longer than on a 6-cyl engine as there are fewer pulses per revolution and I imagine the OBC only recieves a signal from one injector rather than all of them, so deduces that there are 6 times the amount of fuel going in, rather than 4 times.

Of course, I don't know what the relative fuel flow is from the same pulse width in a 4 or 6 cylinder injector.

My Cars
    Z3. 1.8 X1. 2.8xdrive
    I believe my stalk button is ok i take a 12v testlight and connect one end to +12v and getting a minus signal on the wire. I also did that on the brown/red wire from the connector that go s into the obc and getting there the minus signal if a push the button.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    It's the same OBC, but the 'coding' refers to letting the OBC know what sort of engine it is attached to. I have an OBC from a 6-cylinder car in my 1.9 and it is way out on the MPG. I assume the pulse width on a 4-cyl is longer than on a 6-cyl engine as there are fewer pulses per revolution and I imagine the OBC only recieves a signal from one injector rather than all of them, so deduces that there are 6 times the amount of fuel going in, rather than 4 times. Of course, I don't know what the relative fuel flow is from the same pulse width in a 4 or 6 cylinder injector.
    A lot of thought in all that, but some imagination and uncertainties, too. Thanks so much for the effort!