Thread: INPA set up with ADS, some issues

My Cars
    1998 Alpina B12

INPA set up with ADS, some issues

Hi, hoping to tap into some of the expertise on this forum, to help me get INPA connected on my E38.
    i have a Dell D630 (has a native serial port) running XP pro, SP3 with INPA v5.0.2 installed (ediabas v6.4.7 in case that's important)
    I've successfully used this setup to connect to a 2002 E39 (now sold) using a modded VAG (USB) cable.
    my 1998 E38 has only the 20 pin connector under the hood (no OBD connector by the drinks holders as it's a UK model.
    I've bought the tiny ADS lead and made the changes in ediabas.bin and OBD.bin files, and run adssetup.exe as per this thread (the simple and clear instructions are much appreciated, thanks)
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...0#post29024210

Anyhow, when I start up INPA I get an error "OpenConnection CreateFile_Error"

Ive also swapped the settings back to the original OBD2 setup, using an OBD port, and confirmed that still works, so it's something I'm not getting right on the switch to ADS setup

i was wondering if it was something to do with my port settings, as I can't find COM1 in the device manager and I think the native serial port is currently set to COM2. COM1 seems to be in use, but I've no idea what's it tasked with

Thanks
    Drew

My Cars
    1998 Alpina B12
    Hi again, by forcing the serial port to be COM1 I have connection!! Device manager warned me not to do this as having two things using COM1 is duplication = end of the world. But I don't know what else was using COM1, so......?
    I've tried connecting to a few modules. ABS (which is the reason I need diagnostics now), trans and a few others are fine. But DME 5.2 for M73 (left or right) won't connect, I get the interface disturbed message

any help on this welcome, it may be an Alpina thing, as Buchloe did mess with the engine tuning, but (so far as I know, it's still a BMW DME computer, and my previous E39 B10's DME computer talked to INPA fine

cheers
    Drew

now to try connecting up DIS....

My Cars
    2000 740i sport
    1998 e38 ediabas settings is still STD:OBD not ADS... ADS is anything 95 and under...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk