Thread: E36 not starting - solved

My Cars
    1998 328is

E36 not starting - solved

I am dealing with my 97 328i dinan. I went for a hard run one day then when I parked it in my driveway it would not start back up. Very stumped at this, just put in a new fuel pump and tested 51psi at the rail, pulled one coil out, put a spark plug in it, grounded the plug and cranked the engine but still no go, not even spark. I believe this is a crank no spark but fuel. Replaced cam sensor too with a Siemens one.

really miss driving this car and not sure what to do, checked all fuses they are good, only check engine codes I have are for the secondary air system. THE ONLY THING I can think of is a bad crank sensor causing the no spark, but I should have got a code for it or something, I checked with my obd 2 scanner and it shows the engines rpm at 192 when cranking, battery and electricity is fine, any clues before I go after the crank sensor, tons appreciated.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    99 528i 5speed Alpine white(Totaled Unfortunately)
    Oil pan and timing chain delete, weight reduction right?
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Sounds like crank sensor. You should be able to test that one, should be an induction component so just a resistance measurement.

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you have really skinny arms to get to the sensor from below it's easy to get to from above just have to remove the throttle body and then you can get to it.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    If your cps is fine, then your ecu is likely dead. It can be dead enough to let you read codes etc, but not run the engine. btw if you don't have spark, you will not have fuel either. The two are activated by a position sensor (either cam or cps on the e36, they should have done this on the E34 too clowns) and the dme coordinating all of it. You have fuel, and a good cam sensor. Unplug the cps and see if you have spark and the engine starts. If it doesn't, well I believe its pretty much assured that the dme is dead.If you have a spare one you could try that. I assume the ews has already been deleted or you know how to recode the spare dme. And your dinan eprom can be easily transferred to a new dme if the dme proves to be the issue.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas525 View Post
    If your cps is fine, then your ecu is likely dead. It can be dead enough to let you read codes etc, but not run the engine. btw if you don't have spark, you will not have fuel either. The two are activated by a position sensor (either cam or cps on the e36, they should have done this on the E34 too clowns) and the dme coordinating all of it. You have fuel, and a good cam sensor. Unplug the cps and see if you have spark and the engine starts. If it doesn't, well I believe its pretty much assured that the dme is dead.If you have a spare one you could try that. I assume the ews has already been deleted or you know how to recode the spare dme. And your dinan eprom can be easily transferred to a new dme if the dme proves to be the issue.
    weird, I took the dme out and opened it out to look at the circuits, everything was fine nothing burnt, I really think the dme is fine there was no water getting into it either, I think it’s either the relays or the crank sensor, let’s jist hope it’s the sensor so I don’t have to get another dme.
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    We had an electronics engineer once open up an tcm from an E34 that had just 25k miles on it and had been garaged for more than 10 years. A barnyard find. Limp mode upon startup and after much diagnosis we determined that it was the tcm that was damaged. Got a used one and it fixed the problem. Then opened up the original one with 25k original miles, that was damaged. It was perfect inside. Nothing wrong. And this was an electronic's engineer's appraisal. He asked us if we wanted the individual transistors etc tested and we said no because he said it would be impossible to repair it anyway, its not like a capacitor or diode or something somewhere. Yes check your relays dme and fpr 5 minute job should have mentioned it but the culprit here is likely the dme.

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    Also check to see if the circular connector from the ignition rail is well seated and plugged in. I'd suggest unplugging it and plugging it back in.

It also wouldn't hurt to unplug the battery for a night then plug it back in in the morning to see if that resets something.

My Cars
    Just to share, you don't have to unplug a battery for a night, or touch unplugged batt terminals together, to reset anything. Just unplug one terminal, then put the key in the ignition and switch to run, for about 3-5 minutes. That discharges all capacitors that were not flattened by the removal of the battery itself.

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    Also check to see if the circular connector from the ignition rail is well seated and plugged in. I'd suggest unplugging it and plugging it back in.

It also wouldn't hurt to unplug the battery for a night then plug it back in in the morning to see if that resets something.
    oh shoot, forgot I was messing w that connector trying to move it out the way, I’ll recheck it, dam should have checked that. Good idea
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    1998 328is
    Big thnx to pizzaman09 for the suggestion, soon as I reconnected it fired right up, bimmer forums always helps out!
    98 328is/5 Arctic silver
    98 540i/6 (New baby)

My Cars
    For the past 2 years, whenever I close the hood, I take literally 10 seconds to SLOWLY look at every inch of it. It feels much much longer but in reality takes just 4-5 seconds. Have noticed unplugged connections, screw, nuts, screwdrivers, black trim etc left around by me when wrapping up even after I thought i got everything. I suggest you make that a habit as well - you would not have missed this.

It literally takes 10 seconds (i timed it) although it feels much much longer.

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    For the past 2 years, whenever I close the hood, I take literally 10 seconds to SLOWLY look at every inch of it. It feels much much longer but in reality takes just 4-5 seconds. Have noticed unplugged connections, screw, nuts, screwdrivers, black trim etc left around by me when wrapping up even after I thought i got everything. I suggest you make that a habit as well - you would not have missed this.

If you just stop scaring people by immediately jumping to dead dme’s...

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    We had an electronics engineer once open up an tcm from an E34 that had just 25k miles on it and had been garaged for more than 10 years. A barnyard find. Limp mode upon startup and after much diagnosis we determined that it was the tcm that was damaged. Got a used one and it fixed the problem. Then opened up the original one with 25k original miles, that was damaged. It was perfect inside. Nothing wrong. And this was an electronic's engineer's appraisal. He asked us if we wanted the individual transistors etc tested and we said no because he said it would be impossible to repair it anyway, its not like a capacitor or diode or something somewhere. Yes check your relays dme and fpr 5 minute job should have mentioned it but the culprit here is likely the dme.
    Objection, was that really a electronic engineer? a DME or TCM on an E34 and any other BMW of that age can be repaired and there are capacitors and transistors inside, example M1.0 http://www.e38.org/e28/louielouie/dme_fix.html
    DME 1.1 and 1.3 and 1.2 and 1.7 look similar, we repaired them already for the E32 750, even the EML can be repaired , done by someone here on the forum also https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ght=eml+repair
    inside pics TCM for a 5HP18 in an E32, same used for the 5HP18 in E34 http://www.7-forum.com/modelle/e32/e..._egs/index.php
    There are even many pro companies which repair the DME and TCMs, for example programa
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by ultimatetester View Post
    Yes, after hearing so much about dead DMEs, I bought another backup red label just to be sure I dont run into that problem once my build is done. Now I have 3 (just in case)
    Current lineup: 99 BMW M3vert (project) , 05 Mazda RX-8, 04 Mercedes CLK320, 03 Chevy Express 1500 (work van).
    Previous rides: 07 Mazda RX-8, 92 BMW 325iNV, 94 BMW 325iC, 94 BMW 325i S50 M3 clone, 84 Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo, 84 Mazda B2000 lowrider, 88 Toyota Tercel, 88 Honda Accord, 93 BMW 318i, 95 Nissan Altima, 89 Toyota Camry, 95 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, 93 BMW 318is, 84 Toyota Tercel, 96 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T, 97 BMW 528i 1JZ swap, 94 Acura Integra 4dr, 88 Toyota Corolla Wagon, 97 VW Jetta GLS, 86 Toyota Corolla AE86 4A-GZE supercharged engine swap, 94 Lexus LS400, 95 Isuzu NPR Turbo, 01 Suzuki TL1000R, 98 Honda CBR600F3, 99 Yamaha R6 and countless other dirt bikes and toys

My Cars
    E36, E70, i3

This post is filled with contradictions.

My Cars
    That's what the symptoms indicated bro, and I explained my rationale in detail so that you can inspect it independently and identify any mistakes. I don't assume that the blindingly obvious was not done. Of course we have all messed up that way, not blaming the op.

Anyway a dead dme is nothing scary. Takes 1 minute to replace and one more minute to recode if you have to. You should have a spare one with you at all times anyway. They are so cheap, compact, and will eventually go.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanniepoo View Post
    This post is filled with contradictions.
    It only appears that way. Please go to your car today and try it with a timer. You'll be very surprised at what you find.

An experienced wrencher, will look over the engine bay in detail within ten seconds if completely undistracted. The key is the lack of distraction - in that state, the mind just picks up what is odd more much more easily. Notice the op missed the obvious. But it wasn't as if his eyes were somehow not functioning. They saw everything, but his mind did not register it. Pure distraction, nothing else.

Lets say you take 60 seconds. Or 120. Do you think it will not be worth the time as a once over check at the end of a repair job as a matter of routine? That was the point of my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Richkid79 View Post
    Yes, after hearing so much about dead DMEs, I bought another backup red label just to be sure I dont run into that problem once my build is done. Now I have 3 (just in case)
    3 may be a little excessive lol.

But actually I have bought 3 before. One that came on my car, and one spare. Then the one on my car croaked, I put in the spare, and bought another backup 2 weeks later. So maybe not excessive. Anyway they can be resold easily for the same $60-$70 they cost so its not a waste of money.
    Last edited by Thomas525; 02-13-2019 at 04:35 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    Objection, was that really a electronic engineer? a DME or TCM on an E34 and any other BMW of that age can be repaired and there are capacitors and transistors inside, example M1.0 http://www.e38.org/e28/louielouie/dme_fix.htmlDME 1.1 and 1.3 and 1.2 and 1.7 look similar, we repaired them already for the E32 750, even the EML can be repaired , done by someone here on the forum also https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ght=eml+repairinside pics TCM for a 5HP18 in an E32, same used for the 5HP18 in E34 http://www.7-forum.com/modelle/e32/e..._egs/index.phpThere are even many pro companies which repair the DME and TCMs, for example programa
    Yes I believe that's what we were told. I was trying my best to preserve the original 20k tcm even though we already had a working spare. In the last 7 years the car has only gained another 1k miles - is being driven to exercise it nothing more. The motherboard looked perfect to the trained eye.

Basically it would take too much time and cost to repair it properly. It was at least that.

Maybe we were punked ! The old tcm was not discarded. I'll send this thread to my buddy and ask him to take another look.

My Cars
    Just sent it to him and he will be reexamining the original tcm with someone else in the next few months. Will update the (hopefully good) results then. Thanks Shogun.

My Cars
    2011 E90 325xi
    401.000 kilometers and 26 years here. Never had a dead DME. It also will never happen. Period. I’ve been on these forums and 9/10 times a dead DME is advised while 1/50 times it actually is a dead DME.

You only spoke about overlooking things after the OP solved the issue and now you perform the “I told you so” joke and some story about how our minds work as if you studied psychology... stop it please this looks stupid.

My Cars
    401.000 kilometers and 26 years here. Never had a dead DME. It also will never happen. Period. I’ve been on these forums and 9/10 times a dead DME is advised while 1/50 times it actually is a dead DME.
    My experience has been different. I'm happy for you.

I'm still holding onto my spare dme bro. :-)

You only spoke about overlooking things after the OP solved the issue and now you perform the “I told you so” joke
    That's not what happened at all. Perhaps English is not your primary language and you have some difficulties following the conversation. Either that or you feel I'm trying to take credit for your correct recommendation. I'm not. I realise that for you these forums are an important part of your self image. I declare you Mighty insofar as this OP's issue on this thread is concerned.

I trust that makes you feel better.

and some story about how our minds work as if you studied psychology... stop it please this looks stupid.
    Where I come from, the fact that an undistracted mind notices things better, requires no scholastic background.
    Last edited by Thomas525; 02-15-2019 at 09:09 AM.