RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 2002 BMW 330CI - Cooling System, Overheating

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI

2002 BMW 330CI - Cooling System, Overheating

Not sure how this website works, I tried creating a new post and can't figure out how so I'm just asking my question in a similar post. I bought a 2002 BMW 330CI with 132,000 miles a week ago from Credit Connection, guy told me "it's a good car, runs well." Within an hour of driving it off the lot, it overheated. The needle went all the way to the red zone and the light lit up, shortly after the check engine light came on. I was on the highway and no where to pull off, I finally find an exit and at this point the needle has exceeded the hot zone and the Red light representing hot temperature went off. I put it in park, allowed about 10-15 minutes with the car off to let it cool down as I'm on the phone with the guy who sold me the car. He sent a tow truck from another Credit Connection to pick up the car and have it serviced. After 10-15 minutes I tried to start it and it made a strange noise, like it did not want to turn over so I immediately shut it off and took the key out. Car was serviced over the weekend, have a printed out receipt of them replacing the water pump, temperature gauge, and the coolant reservoir. Guy told me when they filled up the coolant, it just poured out of the bottom of the reservoir and when running there was smoke coming from under the car. So I pick it up thinking I'm good to go considering no dash lights, temperature is perfect and the next day, Service Engine Soon light comes on. Got codes checked with scanner at Advance Auto Parts and it showed the codes P0303, P0174, P0171, and P0313. No check engine light, just SES light. Guy told me scanner only detects check engine light problems. I'm confused as to what is going on, did I just buy a horrible car? We erased the codes and SES light is off, for now.. I do not have warranty on the vehicle, but guy said he will service the car and fix any issues I am having because he wants me to be happy with the car, the company will not make money if the car is bad and doesn't last me due to the fact it is a lease to own vehicle. I asked for my money back, he tried to feed me bs over the phone is how I took it, then finally said he will give my information to the General Manager and I will have to discuss the refund with him. I really like my car, it is very powerful, looks excellent, but none of that matters if the car will not be reliable and running properly. I have payments on this car as well which is why I'm so frustrated. Also, if I am coming to a stop and pump the brake while coming to a stop sign, you can hear a strange noise, you can feel it in the brake pedal as well as the steering wheel which also jerks to the right a little. Coming to a stop normally, it is not that bad but you can tell there is an issue. Should I just be adamant on getting my money back or allow them to service the car? I do not want to get rid of the car, but I also do not want a nice BMW sitting out front in my driveway with a blown motor later down the road.

My Cars
    2002 E46 330xi
    Heat kills these motors after getting that hot I don’t know if I would trust it. Kinda scary that it overheated literally right after buying it. One of your codes is a misfire might be able to fix with a new coil.

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyR27 View Post
    (...) Should I just be adamant on getting my money back or allow them to service the car? I do not want to get rid of the car, but I also do not want a nice BMW sitting out front in my driveway with a blown motor later down the road.
    If it were me I'd get my money back, or in the worst case agree on another car from his lot.
    It might have more to do with me never wanting to own cars of which I have a bad feeling about though.
    Anyhow, there are many parts on a car that can fail, and without actually getting to inspect the car it'll be very hard to give you a solid advice to go with.

Maybe my post is more of a general comment than specifically for your car, but trusting your feeling is the best way of never having to regret stuff.

One of the experts here will probably jump in and add more useful advice.
    Good luck!

PS. Next time best start your own thread instead of extending one about someone else's car.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    95 m3+, 03 ZHP, Mk4 Tdi
    Quote Originally Posted by CoreyR27 View Post
    Not sure how this website works, I tried creating a new post and can't figure out how so I'm just asking my question in a similar post. I bought a 2002 BMW 330CI with 132,000 miles a week ago from Credit Connection, guy told me "it's a good car, runs well." Within an hour of driving it off the lot, it overheated. The needle went all the way to the red zone and the light lit up, shortly after the check engine light came on. I was on the highway and no where to pull off, I finally find an exit and at this point the needle has exceeded the hot zone and the Red light representing hot temperature went off.

I put it in park, allowed about 10-15 minutes with the car off to let it cool down as I'm on the phone with the guy who sold me the car. He sent a tow truck from another Credit Connection to pick up the car and have it serviced. After 10-15 minutes I tried to start it and it made a strange noise, like it did not want to turn over so I immediately shut it off and took the key out. Car was serviced over the weekend, have a printed out receipt of them replacing the water pump, temperature gauge, and the coolant reservoir.

Guy told me when they filled up the coolant, it just poured out of the bottom of the reservoir and when running there was smoke coming from under the car. So I pick it up thinking I'm good to go considering no dash lights, temperature is perfect and the next day, Service Engine Soon light comes on. Got codes checked with scanner at Advance Auto Parts and it showed the codes P0303, P0174, P0171, and P0313. No check engine light, just SES light. Guy told me scanner only detects check engine light problems. I'm confused as to what is going on, did I just buy a horrible car? We erased the codes and SES light is off, for now.. I do not have warranty on the vehicle, but guy said he will service the car and fix any issues I am having because he wants me to be happy with the car, the company will not make money if the car is bad and doesn't last me due to the fact it is a lease to own vehicle.

I asked for my money back, he tried to feed me bs over the phone is how I took it, then finally said he will give my information to the General Manager and I will have to discuss the refund with him. I really like my car, it is very powerful, looks excellent, but none of that matters if the car will not be reliable and running properly. I have payments on this car as well which is why I'm so frustrated. Also, if I am coming to a stop and pump the brake while coming to a stop sign, you can hear a strange noise, you can feel it in the brake pedal as well as the steering wheel which also jerks to the right a little. Coming to a stop normally, it is not that bad but you can tell there is an issue. Should I just be adamant on getting my money back or allow them to service the car? I do not want to get rid of the car, but I also do not want a nice BMW sitting out front in my driveway with a blown motor later down the road.
    hello - sorry this is your introduction to bmw's.

a few things real quick though - if you are new and you make a new thread there will be some delay in it appearing. be patient.
    secondly, it's considered rude to jump into another thread and ask for advice on your own issue.
    thirdly - it's also considered very nice to actually use the enter key and make line breaks - it helps make your text much more readable. also, folks are more likely to help if they can actually read what you wrote.

mods - can you please split this out and/or merge it with his possible waiting to be approved post?

ok - on to the car. run - run far and run fast. modern cars, in general, and certainly bmw's, often do not like even one trip into the red zone. in particular, this engine (an m54) is well known for not tolerating overheats. once is usually more than enough to either cause immediate issues or set you up for future issues.

re: codes - total bs. a code scanner will read stored codes, regardless of the presence of the CEL. now, that said, an OBD2 reader will only read emissions codes - so, you may have other codes that are read by bmw specific scanners or scanners with bmw software. p-codes are generic OBD2 codes and are rather useless when dealing with BMW's. they are generic interpretations of BMW's error codes and can often lead you astray. at this point, though, codes are not your concern - at least in my opinion - i'd want out of that deal on that car as fast as i could blink.

most e46 generation cars that i've looked at over the years for friends, family, etc. usually need about 2-4k in immediate work to make them "normal" again. cooling system replacement, clutched fan (if automatic), suspension bushings, brake fluid flush, etc.
    '95 325iS - auto to manual swap done!

My Cars
    98 328iS, 84 733i (sold)
    Just my opinion here but I'd dump the car if it already has issue, especially after only 1 hour off the lot. You bought/leased a car that was supposed to be in "good" working condition and it's clearly not. As others have stated there are a number of things that could be or go wrong with it and you've just started the relationship that can cost you much more after a trip to the red zone. The promise to fix things at point of sale means nothing once some time has passed, it certainly won't be fixed in a timely manner or at your convenience either. All the problems might be repairable but why should you suffer with them? Whatever your purchase/lease agreement is it should be for something in good working order and you didn't even get all the way home the first day. Get your money back and find another one in better working condition. Good luck.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    "I do not want to get rid of the car, but I also do not want a nice BMW sitting out front in my driveway with a blown motor later down the road. "
    That motor is already done, period.
    Not sure what luck you'll have getting a refund from "Credit Connection" but that 's what I'd go for.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1987 535is - Zinnoberrot
    100% Try to get your money back. At first sight of it overheating, I would have shut the car off and got it towed.

I am not sure on the in's and out's of "Credit Connection" but if there is a way to get a refund, definitely take it. I have seen "tote-the-note" type places that will stick you with a bum car, and your forced to pay 3 times over what the value of the car really is, and it barely lasts the life of the loan.

Get your money back, and buy a better one down the road with straight cash - you'll need the extra money you would have used making that payment on repairs. A 2002 BMW will need work eventually, especially when being used for daily duty commute.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by GIJF430 View Post
    100% Try to get your money back. At first sight of it overheating, I would have shut the car off and got it towed.

I am not sure on the in's and out's of "Credit Connection" but if there is a way to get a refund, definitely take it. I have seen "tote-the-note" type places that will stick you with a bum car, and your forced to pay 3 times over what the value of the car really is, and it barely lasts the life of the loan.

Get your money back, and buy a better one down the road with straight cash - you'll need the extra money you would have used making that payment on repairs. A 2002 BMW will need work eventually, especially when being used for daily duty commute.
    If the dealer is holding the paper and refuses a refund I'd just leave this shit box at their door, try to get a receipt or acknowledgement of some sort at least a witness, and quit making the payments.
    Not unlikely that the OP's credit isn't the best already so nothing to lose but his downstroke.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue