Thread: average joe diagnostic options?

My Cars
    328Ci, 335i, 330Cic

Question average joe diagnostic options?

I seek wisdom.
    I have used CARLY for BMW with their OBD cable on my Samsung S7. It has served me well for 2 E46 and my 2007 335i (w/o iDrive).
    Last fall I started getting very inconsistent connections (mostly non-connections). Back and forth with their tech support has left me no better off.

I chose the Carly app as it was somewhat specific for BMW and supported more than just the drivetrain analytics. i.e. some limited coding, battery registration, other car related faults...

I wasn't interested (at least at that time) in going full in on INPA, NCS EXPERT, etc.

It is appearing my relationship with CARLY is at an end so trying to get a fair idea where my next step is going to take me.
    What are other non-professional types using? Again, i am hoping for something that more supports the E46/E9x platforms rather than Fs, Gs, etc...

Thanks in advance for your time.

My Cars
    09 e93 N54
    I am using a Foxwell NT510 with the BMW code pack. I can not only read/clear codes, but I can register replacement parts as it is bidirectional.

My Cars
    328Ci, 335i, 330Cic
    Quote Originally Posted by jamanred View Post
    I am using a Foxwell NT510 with the BMW code pack. I can not only read/clear codes, but I can register replacement parts as it is bidirectional.
    Thanks for the feedback! Fyi. I was able to borrow an Autel maxidas. Sweet. Read and clear codes. Reset comfort access for the e90 so my nonCA key fob works CA now. Diagnostics..battery reset. Pricey but..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Cars
    335i E93 N54
    I love my JB4 piggy back on the DME.
    I use bluetooth to my cell phone.
    Full logging, code and performance options available.

One functional, sexy and convenient option.

My Cars
    1994 325ic, 2012 328ic,
    I have a Foxwell NT520. Worked well for about 10x then died. Sent it back to China for warranty. $25 shipping. 3 weeks each way. Next time I'll spend the extra and buy within the US.