Thread: Fuel pump leak. S54

My Cars
    N/A

Fuel pump leak. S54

Looked over all the older posts, half of which are now missing photos.

Smelled gas, lifted car, dripping gas. Took out seat, slit open flap and looked at pump. Yep. Gas. Dried everything off. Turned on ignition. Yep. Gas. Looks like it's coming from the top hose/connector.

Went for a drive and car is about empty. Here's where I'm confused.

Some folks have put sealant on the nipples. Other folks say if there's a crack then it's over.

So which is it? Also, if I do need to replace the nipples, what part is that? Pump still functions fine.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Search RFs posts. I think there was a recent one along this topic. Found it on page 6 and it looks like it’s toast. Time for a new pump.
    Last edited by z3forlife; 02-08-2019 at 10:52 PM.

My Cars
    N/A
    Thanks. Read through that. I've also seen some people say a pump is $400 and others $900. Which is it?

Anyway, off to pull the hoses and have a really close look.

My Cars
    N/A
    Well. That's interesting. Cleaned it all up. Thought I saw a crack at the base of the nipple so connected everything back and turned the switch. To my surprise, the leak wasn't from the 'crack' but there was fuel spritzing (a steady stream) like you'd get from a pinhole under pressure where the connector attached to the nipple. End of connector I guess.

Then when I press down hard on the hose connector the stream slows down and stops. Going to look at it some more in the morning. At least the hoses were easy to take on and off.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by workhurts; 02-08-2019 at 11:43 PM.

My Cars
    N/A
    So I'm seeing pump prices range from $230-$420. All under this part number:

that's the correct pump, right?

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    I just did the fuel pump on my S54- search for fuel pump replacement with my username. I did it last month. I paid about $375 for the pump, but needed the tool to remove the lock ring and the seal, so it ended up being about $450.

My pump housing had cracked at the base of the nipple. Fortunately, the fuel lines did not leak, because that would involve dropping the rear subframe, which is a huge job.

My Cars
    N/A
    Yeh. Looks like I need a pump. Sealant didn't do anything but I don't understand why pressing down on the hose makes the leak stop.

I saw your post. If I search for the part number I posted I get prices all over the place. I took the part number from ECS and just searched.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    I used this part number:

Was $390 from FCP Euro. I think it was on sale when I bought it, because $375 stuck in my head.

So yes, that's the correct number.

If you don't have the tool to remove the lockring, you'll need that as well. Also, you'll need the rubber seal that goes under the lockring (16111179637). I bought a new lockring (16111181142) as well because I don't trust old plastic and they're not that expensive.

I should have shopped around, because some dealers have this part as low as $320.

My Cars
    z3
    The pump itself is probably fine and I am willing to bet the fuel pump housing interchanges with other Z3's

We have an E53 in our shop right now with this same issue. Hopefully this does not start becoming common...

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    01 Z3 3.0i

My Cars
    N/A
    I picked one up from eeuroparts for around $240 with shipping. Oembimmerparts had them for $150 a few years ago if you search old posts. Reads like they bought 50 of them in one go.

Should be in tomorrow. After 75k miles and 18 years, I'm ok with replacing the pump. Hopefully it lasts another 18 years.

Just in case it turns out to be the connector. What's the best way of changing those out? Doesn't look like you could cut them off without doing some splice work and it doesn't look like you could remove them and get new ones on.

My Cars
    chariot of the gods
    Sending a PM

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post

Just in case it turns out to be the connector. What's the best way of changing those out? Doesn't look like you could cut them off without doing some splice work and it doesn't look like you could remove them and get new ones on.
    If you have to replace the plastic lines, you need to drop the rear subframe and drop the fuel tank to access the other end of those lines.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The pump itself is probably fine and I am willing to bet the fuel pump housing interchanges with other Z3's

We have an E53 in our shop right now with this same issue. Hopefully this does not start becoming common...
    Yes, and no...

While I haven't tried it yet to confirm your theory (but I tend to side with you on it) they did use different fittings through the series of S52 & S54 cars. I am not as familiar with the same years of Z3s, as there's only been two (2) reasons for me to mess with the pumps:
    S52 pumps swapped out to higher output for forced induction
    S54 pumps (housing nipple__typically the output/high pressure side) leaking.

If you didn't mind cutting off the end of your S54 tube-ends and splicing a hose (with clamps) then it would probably work. Not that *I* would condone such a travesty...

For those that wonder, the S52 pump gets +12VDC applied to it, and it runs. The S54 pump is driven__through the DME__by PWM (pulse width modulation), which you'd really only be able to see with an oscilloscope.

I like your thinking though

EDIT: to clarify, the two pumps aren't interchangeable, but with Graham's suggestion, the S54 pump *should* fit in the earlier car's housing.
    Last edited by Randy Forbes; 02-15-2019 at 10:43 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    All I know is an E46 M3 fuel pump is plug and play in an E36 M3 housing. Logical deduction would say a Z3 S54 fuel pump should then then fit into a non-S54 fuel housing as well. Its a cheaper option at least if the pump is good and housing is bad. Maybe not important now but I bet these fuel pumps gonna become $$$$$ soon like everything else on these cars

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    All I know is that the S52 pump and the S54 pump use different methods to attach the hoses to the pump...

Can the S54 pipes be attached to the S52 pump housing? Yes, but it would require cutting off the original connectors and splicing in a pair of rubber hoses and four (4) clamps.

My Cars
    z3
    Interesting how that changed over the production run, I wonder if facelift non-M pump housings are the S54 type or S52 type? Maybe those are a suitable plug and play replacement for the housing itself.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    N/A
    Btw. Just swapped pumps at lunch and boy am I glad I ran the fuel real low. Like almost empty. Think it was about an inch below the opening. Ran it till the light came on then another 10 miles or more.

No leak now. Will drive around and see.

As for fuel pump prices. I saw threads from 2006 showing 600-800. Then a bunch at $400 in later years. Then oembimmerparts or whatever they're called for 50 of them going for $150. Nowntheynhabe them listed for $260. Eeuroparts had it for $240 with shipping.

So they actually seem to be getting cheaper till those two sources clear their supply. Half tempted to buy another one now but will likely just keep my old on as a spare.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    For those that've been around here long enough__like back to when these cars were still being built__oembimmerparts is actually Max, aka 01Silber, and I consider him to be a good friend.

My Cars
    N/A
    My comment about or whatever they're called was meant to be flippant. I'm just really horrible with names. Yes, back in 2014 they had them for $150. 5 years later $259 seems pretty reasonable. especially compared to dealership prices

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    For those that've been around here long enough__like back to when these cars were still being built__oembimmerparts is actually Max, aka 01Silber, and I consider him to be a good friend.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    My comment about or whatever they're called was meant to be flippant. I'm just really horrible with names. Yes, back in 2014 they had them for $150. 5 years later $259 seems pretty reasonable. especially compared to dealership prices
    I didn't take it "as a offense/defense" I just wanted to point out that he's one of us.

He sold his car, seemingly immediate upon walking out of the church with his new bride__no matter how much we pleaded with him not to do it (selling, not marrying). And only recently__sometime in the last year or so__found and bought it back!

Going a step further, as if to make amends, he added a 3.0 coupe to his roster soon after that.

We all knew how much Max loved his car...