Thread: Chris Luftig E34 Guy?

My Cars
    1994 530i

Chris Luftig E34 Guy?

Any one bought E34 parts from Chris Luftig in the Fort Collins area? What was your experience in dealing with him?

My Cars
    1994 530i

Buyer Beware - Scammer

Beware of buying E34 parts from a guy named Chris Luftig, AKA Chris Copty in the Denver/ Littleton, Colorado area. He advertised E34 parts on Craigslist last month, I called him and he told me he had the part I needed, even sent a pic. I sent him Cashier's Check, heard nothing from him.

Emailed him, he stated he received money and would ship immediately. One month later, no part delivered, no return emails, cell phone goes straight to voice mail, no response at all. Did some digging around, and found this.

https://law.justia.com/cases/wyoming...10/458307.html

In all the years of buying parts for BMWs and Volvos, never been scammed, this guy
    is the first. Of course the ad is gone from Craigslist, too. Beware of this guy.

My Cars
    m5s
    Interesting. Littleton is one of the higher end areas in the Denver Metro Area though the demographics have changed in recent years, not for the better in most ways.

I browse parts on craigslist locally so thanks for the aware there are scammers though I would never send a MO or CC or bank check without an established relationship.

Post his phone number or email used, its not doxing this guy, he ripped you so there is a reason to post relevant info that could prevent others from the same pitfall.

My Cars
    1994 530i
    Part 2 to the saga: Sent a final email subject line: "Calling You Out", reminding him of his email stating he had received my money and would ship immediately. No part received, no emails returned, no phone calls returned, 30 days later = theft. He says..."I have been busy, blah, blah, blah...you can post whatever you want on forums, I do not follow them, I do not typically sell parts, so no big deal". Why advertise E34 parts on Craigslist?? Told him I will advise folks on BMW forums to avoid dealing with him, I will ensure they know your name.

I gave him ultimatum, send part immediately or return money, no further discussion warranted.
    Email received from him last night he indicates he will ship part this week...or I will have money back.

Lessons Learned:
    1. Google person's name, might find something interesting (convicted of ???)
    2. Use form of currency whereby you know it was cashed
    3. Keep email chain
    4. Check social media, multiple ways to reach someone this way...

14 February Update: Still no money returned or part received after final "Calling You Out" email to him.
    Now 6 weeks since first first communicating, agreeing to buy part.

Contact info used: cc.luftig
    Last edited by jfs356; 02-14-2019 at 09:48 PM.

My Cars
    1994 530i
    Update: Resolved, after numerous emails, seller returned my money today.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Glad this was resolved to your satisfaction and that you've learned to sniff around about a seller before paying.
    Cashier's check? The only bigger red flag would be sending it to Nigeria. Even a dinosaur like me has a Paypal acct which offers a little protection.
    Some people will employ "alternate" methods of recovering such losses. Hopefully your seller will someday get his richly deserved reward.
    OH! Member South42, Andy, is right in your back yard and probably at least one of every E34 part imaginable.
    Last edited by ross1; 04-03-2019 at 12:24 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    1994 530i
    Yes, know Andy from a long time ago, bought a fuel sender from him. He is local to me, I always send him info when I find an E34 in the local
    salvage yards.