Thread: Ride-on tire sealer

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650

Ride-on tire sealer

Opinions, experience, reviews?

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    I assume you're talking about car tires. Tire guys hate that stuff! It's messy when they change tires and confuses pressure readings. I keep a can (different brand sold in Autozone) in my Z3M, but would only use it for emergencies, and apologize profusely to the next tire guy. Been carrying for decades, never used it. ... I do keep it in my bicycle tires, but that's a different story. Here in AZ, we have those grass thorns that flatten every tire eventually.
    Last edited by zellamay; 02-07-2019 at 03:39 PM.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Relatively popular in motorcycles as well. I guess the biggest difference with cars is having a spare. Although my M roadster does not.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    I wonder how many of the mobility kits out there have the original can of sealer and more importantly if they’ll still work. I should probably look at mine.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Good thought. I need to check mine as well, since it’s never been used.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I wonder how many of the mobility kits out there have the original can of sealer and more importantly if they’ll still work. I should probably look at mine.
    Never seen one intact in working condition over 25+ cars dating back as far as 10 years ago

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Meaning they aren’t reliable or just used up? Mine’s never been used.

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Another option is to carry a donut spare from the non-M Z3s in the trunk. It does take up some space, but so does the box of cooling system stuff I keep there (thermostat, expansion tank, hoses, water pump

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I carry a jack, lug wrench, and a gummy worm kit. Along with the compressor part of the mobility kit, I plan to fix the flats. The only drawback is a sidewall problem.

The jack and lug wrench are BMW and were purchased on Ebay. They fit in the unused tray to the right of the battery.
    Wayne

1998 M Roadster
    1994 Honda ST1100--sold
    2017 Yamaha FJR1300ES

My Cars
    1998 Z3M, 2006 330i
    Since we're talking about what we carry: I carry an 18V impact driver with a 3/8 adapter and a socket. I had to grind the end of my scissor jack a little to fit a socket on there. I put some good grease on the screw of the jack, because of the speed it turns. With this setup, I can lift my car in a few seconds.

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    I'm torn also, but due to the fact that I have a jack I think I'll end up just keeping a gummy worm kit in there.

The factory spare is dry rotted and I haven't pulled the trigger on the 16" spare yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigershark48 View Post
    Relatively popular in motorcycles as well. I guess the biggest difference with cars is having a spare. Although my M roadster does not.
    The only reason I considered it on my motorcycle is that it had tubes. This was a 70's motorcycle though - not sure if modern bikes have tubes.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by rasmuw View Post
    I carry a jack, lug wrench, and a gummy worm kit. Along with the compressor part of the mobility kit, I plan to fix the flats. The only drawback is a sidewall problem.

The jack and lug wrench are BMW and were purchased on Ebay. They fit in the unused tray to the right of the battery.
    +1, my mobility kit compressor seems to work fine. If there's a sidewall or severe tire problem, I'll just have to call someone. The only thing that worries me is that the really fun roads in the NC mountains don't have great cell coverage.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    The only reason I considered it on my motorcycle is that it had tubes. This was a 70's motorcycle though - not sure if modern bikes have tubes.
    Generally today, if the bike has spokes, it’s an off road bike and has tubes. Alloy wheels are used on finished highways and run tubeless tires. Off roading can be much more abusive and alloy wheels can crack or break. The spoked wheels handle severe hits better and have tubes, because the air would leak out where the spokes are threaded into the rims. Some off roaders apply a special sealer inside the rim to seal the spokes, so they can use tubeless tires.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 02-08-2019 at 02:27 PM.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I just carry my AAA card. Actually I don't even carry that. AAA has my info.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Meaning they aren’t reliable or just used up? Mine’s never been used.
    Same here with my Conti ComfortKit bought in 2012. I think they are reliable until they age out of their shelf life. And I think they are single use so no point in testing. I have not looked into the availability and cost of replacing the can in my kit.
    https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Conti%20Comfort%20Kit
    But it is not encouraging that Tire Rack says it's NLA.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs

tubeless!

Generally today, if the bike has spokes, it’s an off road bike and has tubes. Alloy wheels are used on finished highways and run tubeless tires. Off roading can be much more abusive and alloy wheels can crack or break. The spoked wheels handle severe hits better and have tubes, because the air would leak out where the spokes are threaded into the rims. Some off roaders apply a special sealer inside the rim to seal the spokes, so they can use tubeless tires.
    I just saw new Beamer at show with spokes and tubeless tires, weird looking rims with the spoke holes outside of the tire bead!

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    I resemble that remark.

I still have my original mobility kit in my M Roadster (with 132k on the odometer), but I don't plan to ever use it's sealer, or any other slime. I carry tire plugs, the mobility kit compressor and my AAA card. In the 17 years I have had my Roadster I have only needed to use the plug kit once and that was for a slow leak which I plugged in my garage. Only needed to use the AAA card one time and that was for a snapped ball joint.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by 325bob View Post
    I just saw new Beamer at show with spokes and tubeless tires, weird looking rims with the spoke holes outside of the tire bead!
    Correct. The new 2019 adventure bikes are offering the new cross spoke wheels that are indeed tubeless. Nice option, but if the wheel takes a big enough hit to bend the rim and lose its seal, it’s dead in the water. Wire wheels bend, alloy wheels break. It’ll be interesting to see how they do off road. Serious adventurers ride through some nasty terrain.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    I can see the sealer having a shelf life and being good for only one use, but the compressor has to be more reliable and good for many hours of operation. I also agree that a rope type plug kit would be better than any goop once you have a flat tire. My original post was asking about ride-on as a flat preventative versus after the fact.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    What do you mean by “ride on” ? Do you mean run-flat tires ?

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    No. Ride-on is a liquid that goes inside the tire. It’s suppose to seal moderate punctures as they occur and also claims to balance the tire without using externals like wheel weights.

https://www.ride-on.com/
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 02-12-2019 at 08:39 PM.

My Cars
    MRoadster,Tacoma,DR650
    Speaking of run flat tires, have you noticed how little you hear about them anymore? My wife’s last car came with them and they were a bad idea overall. First, you have no spare, so anything serious in a remote location and you’re done. Second, they have a very stiff sidewall, so are lacking in performance and comfort. Third, the sidewall stiffness makes them absolutely horrible on ice and snow (and, the car was all wheel drive). Brand new, the traction was like a set of bald tires. We ended up running them in summer only. Come winter, I had a set of Blizzak tires on an extra set of wheels to swap with. That required having a spare tire, since the Blizzaks were not run flat. Also, the alternate wheels required different lug nuts. The car and all the tires and wheels are gone. Never again.
    Last edited by Tigershark48; 02-12-2019 at 08:52 PM.

My Cars
    2000 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by pine1000 View Post
    "The only thing that worries me is that the really fun roads in the NC mountains don't have great cell coverage" .

same. the really good roads are far past cell coverage. and a sidewall blowout at dusk on some of these roads makes for a very long night in the dark as these mountain passes become essentially abandoned at dark. ask me how i know.