Thread: Swapping my e30

My Cars
    1991 BMW E30 (turbo)

Swapping my e30

Gonna be getting a shop to LS swap my 1990 E30, had a couple of stupid questions.

I know it isn't as simple as just pulling the BMW engine out and throwing in the LS, what else needs to be replaced/upgraded to accommodate the swap? Do I need to upgrade the dif? What kind of shocks should I be looking at putting in? Is it a good idea to put it on bags? Brakes? Also, is there any way to have the swap and a working air conditioner? Been doing some looking around and noticed a common theme is that with swaps you trade power for comfort, I live in Texas so a 400hp BMW is great, but 100+ degree summers are not. Any way to have a Automatic/Sport Manual tranny on it?

sorry for my incompetence

thanks

My Cars
    1997 M3 Sedan
    I live in TX and A/C was a must for me too. I have a running e36 LS swap, first with an LS1, then LS3.

There are a few different ways to keep A/C. I chose to adapt the 318i compressor with a rather pricey bracket from one of the swap kit vendors. It was worth it because the 318i lines just bolted up and I only had to add a sensor port for the GM refrigerant pressure sensor. The rest of it was pretty straightforward, the only exception being the CAN bus A/C request signal required on the LS3. If I had to do it all over again I’d do it the same way.

Brakes and suspension are a matter of preference. I’m perfectly happy with the H&R OE Sport/Bilsteins and new original M3 brakes on my e36. Hopefully some of the e30 guys can chime in with their experiences.

I haven’t seen anyone put an automatic in an e30 LS swap but it might be possible, maybe with a 6L80E, to get everything you’re looking for.

Good luck with the swap. There’s a ton of info on here, particularly in sticky thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro