Thread: Timing belt replacement shop cost

My Cars
    2001 740i

Timing belt replacement shop cost

I got a crazy quote for a timing belt swap is this to high seems like it? IMG_0832.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    The overall price is reasonable, but the way it’s written/broken down is just annoying. They underprice the labor and overprice the parts. The reason I say annoying is because (most likely) they have been trained to do this by customers crying about their shop rates over and over, so instead of standing firm on their labor rates they just mark up the parts because the customer doesn’t know where they get by them from, or how many middle men are involved in the distribution. Having said that I do know some shops only buy from brick and mortar stores to avoid warranty return quality hassles so they are not the same prices as bavauto or pelican if there isn’t time for mail ordering. If you want to know, just ask them if they will honor the labor quote if you bring in your own parts and watch their reaction. Personally I think they are playing you for dumb pricing a timing belt “kit” then charging you separate for the next item which, last time I checked, were included in a timing belt kit, (plus/minus the spring I guess?) I still say the overall price is reasonable because it includes a coolant drain and flush(hopefully) and shop time (for the better part of a day, even though it’s not a full day) )has to cover the roof, commercial utilities, and fluid handling/clean up/recycling/etc. Also most old cars are caked with gunk, rust, and possibly underlying issues, so kiss the book time good bye unless the guy is starving and needs the work.
    Would I pay it? Heck no, but I don’t pay shops to do anything on my vehicles but tires and alignments. The question is why are you getting shop quotes for a timing belt in the first place?
    Last edited by msservices; 02-07-2019 at 12:37 AM.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by msservices View Post
    The overall price is reasonable, but the way it’s written/broken down is just annoying. They underprice the labor and overprice the parts. The reason I say annoying is because (most likely) they have been trained to do this by customers crying about their shop rates over and over, so instead of standing firm on their labor rates they just mark up the parts because the customer doesn’t know where they get by them from, or how many middle men are involved in the distribution. Having said that I do know some shops only buy from brick and mortar stores to avoid warranty return quality hassles so they are not the same as bavauto or pelican. If you want to know, just ask them if they will honor the labor quote if you bring in your own parts and watch their reaction. I say the overall price is reasonable because it includes a coolant drain and flush(hopefully) and shop time (for the better part of a day, even though it’s not a full day) )has to cover the roof and commercial utilities.
    Would I pay it? Heck no, but I don’t pay shops to do anything on my vehicles but tires and alignments. The question is why are you getting shop quotes for a timing belt in the first place?
    Just bought a new e30 recently for a steal and the previous owner doesn’t know the last time it was changed the car is mechanical sound I drove it for 4 hours the day I bought it however he isn’t the first owner so he only know HIS repairs also everything on the instrument cluster works besides the Odometer which is stuck on 185k probably way more obviously so I’d rather be safe and replace the tbelt.

My Cars
    87 325is 96 GMC Suburban
    You can replace the timing belt/ tensioner without changing the water pump, but I would think that
    A. The engine looks dirty and original indicating that it needs seals/gaskets/cooling system parts replaces in addition to a timing belt
    B. The engine is remarkably clean which indicates most of the above (including a timing belt) has already been done once in the cars lifetime.
    C. You could inspect the belt. Yes, they say that they can just break without warning, but I have seen old timing belts still running and you could tell right away that they were dry, cracking, and basically shot, just like any other belt, tire, rubber part, etc. If it’s not basically flawless just throw a new one on, but paying a shop to do it is counterproductive unless they are taking care of everything else while they are in there
    Last edited by msservices; 02-07-2019 at 12:53 AM.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325e
    I had mine done in October for $508.88. If I remember correctly that included the water pump. But other shops quoted me >$700 also.

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    its not a hard job. is time or space preventing you from doing that on your own?

I have no idea on the price being good, or not, either. I am like msservices in that I don't let people work on my cars, minus alignment and tires
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    2004 525i, 1985 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by superj View Post
    its not a hard job. is time or space preventing you from doing that on your own?
    I'm with superj on this one. The timing belt is not hard, but has to be done right. If you are going to pay someone to do all the repairs on a 30+ year old car, my suggestion is to get out of it...you'll go broke! Between the various forums, youtube and helpful local BMW club members these cars are not hard to work on. If you haven't joined the local club, do so!
    2004 525i Sport, Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    Quote Originally Posted by HurtCobain View Post
    (...) I’d rather be safe and replace the tbelt.
    Absolutely.

Replacing the water pump at the same time is something I would do too indeed, when you have no record of its last change.
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    You might want to get another bid. But I don't think he is excessively high. If you buy your own parts, you may save some money but most shops won't guarantee anything then. Just go ahead and do it. $900 is nothing for a car repair these days. With the today's modern car after a few years if it breaks, the repairs are so expensive you just junk it.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Looks reasonable.

However, that engine holds less than 2 gallons of 50/50 mix in the cooling system, so they only need to use 1 gallon of coolant. That's a pet peeve of mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by tomstin View Post
    I'm with superj on this one. The timing belt is not hard, but has to be done right. If you are going to pay someone to do all the repairs on a 30+ year old car, my suggestion is to get out of it...you'll go broke! Between the various forums, youtube and helpful local BMW club members these cars are not hard to work on. If you haven't joined the local club, do so!
    I hear you out I can do everything else the belt gave me nightmares on my last e30 lol when I snapped tensioner bolt and had to drill the snapped bolt out I went crazy took me a while to successfully get it out

My Cars
    1995 M3 - 2007 X5
    Its probably the highest estimate I've seen for timing belt service but its not unreasonable. $444.29 in labor, so I am assuming its close to a $100/hour rate and they're estimating about 4-ish hours of labor. There's no breakdown on your quote, that's just based off of what I see other independent service shops charging for their labor rate.
    The labor will almost always outpace the cost of parts, it sounds like your last try didn't go so well but I think the lessons were learned lol.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    That isn't even remotely what I would consider high for this job. They are drastically underbidding that job, and undervaluing their time.

They appear to be selling parts at list price, and using the Contitech tbelt kit. What is wrong with the parts price exactly? You can't have internet parts pricing, installation at a loss, and expect them to be able to keep the doors open.
    Last edited by Stück; 02-07-2019 at 08:03 PM.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1990 E30 325i 4 Door
    Quote Originally Posted by msservices View Post
    The overall price is reasonable, but the way it’s written/broken down is just annoying. They underprice the labor and overprice the parts. The reason I say annoying is because (most likely) they have been trained to do this by customers crying about their shop rates over and over, so instead of standing firm on their labor rates they just mark up the parts because the customer doesn’t know where they get by them from, or how many middle men are involved in the distribution. Having said that I do know some shops only buy from brick and mortar stores to avoid warranty return quality hassles so they are not the same prices as bavauto or pelican if there isn’t time for mail ordering. If you want to know, just ask them if they will honor the labor quote if you bring in your own parts and watch their reaction. Personally I think they are playing you for dumb pricing a timing belt “kit” then charging you separate for the next item which, last time I checked, were included in a timing belt kit, (plus/minus the spring I guess?) I still say the overall price is reasonable because it includes a coolant drain and flush(hopefully) and shop time (for the better part of a day, even though it’s not a full day) )has to cover the roof, commercial utilities, and fluid handling/clean up/recycling/etc. Also most old cars are caked with gunk, rust, and possibly underlying issues, so kiss the book time good bye unless the guy is starving and needs the work.
    Parts are indeed overpriced, however when i compared those parts with my local dealership, they are very close. Looks like OE parts (not OEM).

My Cars
    2001 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    That isn't even remotely what I would consider high for this job. They are drastically underbidding that job, and undervaluing their time.

They appear to be selling parts at list price, and using the Contitech tbelt kit. What is wrong with the parts price exactly? You can't have internet parts pricing, installation at a loss, and expect them to be able to keep the doors open.
    Just wanted a second opinion I’m good for the money that’s not a concern just wanted a few thoughts from other users on the forum not many German car repair shops in south jersey

My Cars
    1994 Miata
    The TB change is a good DIY project if you are reasonably skilled. It was difficult but I’m glad I did it.

The project took me about 20 hours to complete, and I took care of many other issues while I had everything disassembled, including changing all my hoses, installing a new radiator, and changing the cap and rotor.

All in, it would have cost $1,500 or more with a mechanic and I did the job for under $600. Plus I now know a lot more about my e30.