Thread: Prices for a M6 Rear Spoiler price range

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5

Prices for a M6 Rear Spoiler price range

I’m looking for a M6 Rear Spoiler. I’m talking about the one that’s rubber and painted body color on the top. I’m in the process of getting an E24 again and I want to source all of the parts.

Im looking for used price range or if replicas exist where to find them.

Anybhelp is appreciated.

My Cars
    1985 M635csi
    Replicas exist on flea bay for around $200,but its all fiberglass............... OEM rubber and fiberglass..What are you looking to spend,They are hard to come by in decent condition...I might know someone that has one...

My Cars
    1987 M6
    If this is to get the right look, you could buy one of the ebay fiberglass units, and finish it creatively. Paint the whole thing, then use plasti-dip on the part that would normally be rubber. I plan to actually use plasti-dip to restore my rubber surround. It is dry rotted a bit, and someone actually painted it. It even has hard filler (looks like bondo) on it. I tested a plasti-dip coat, and I thought it looks quite good.

Looks like the fiberglass ones are $170.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spoiler-rear-bmw-e24-Mtch/163189350844?hash=item25fed7e1bc:g:hAoAAOSwT2daRn4 b:rk:19:pf:0

Jose
    Last edited by DaHose; 02-06-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    `Jose , Years and I do mean years ago, obn the old Road Fly forum, a fellow Named JR who was very active and astute member, redid his spoiler which was pretty well age cracked and dried out with plasti dip and was totally thrilled with the way it came out. I think he may have done it in several coats wet sanding in between and applying the plasti dip with a plastic spatula like you would use for Bondo. I can't remember what he used to finish coat it with but I am guessing something that is low lustre or semi gloss at the most.
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    '86 M635/'10 Clubman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert Poliakoff View Post
    `Jose , Years and I do mean years ago, obn the old Road Fly forum, a fellow Named JR who was very active and astute member, redid his spoiler which was pretty well age cracked and dried out with plasti dip and was totally thrilled with the way it came out. I think he may have done it in several coats wet sanding in between and applying the plasti dip with a plastic spatula like you would use for Bondo. I can't remember what he used to finish coat it with but I am guessing something that is low lustre or semi gloss at the most.
    Was that JT in Florida? He did that job (or a very similar one) on the front spoiler of his Alpina B7 Turbo - can't remember if he did that on the rear as well. I can ping him if that's who you're referring to.

My Cars
    1987 M6
    My uncle had a 924 with the rubber spoiler (super lux mang), and I remember in its prime the texture and color was practically identical to how plasti-dip goes on. I did a test on my spoiler by sanding down one area that had filler and cracks. I was able to just spray into the cracks several times, and eventually it sheeted over well. The final coat looked really good and lasted months before I stripped it off.

My thought to do the whole spoiler was similar to what you describe, Bert. Plasti-dip can be found in a small cans, so I figured I take a couple of days filling/drying/filling/drying on all the cracks, then quick sand when they are filled, so that a final spray layer sheets smoothly.

Jose
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    I found a used OEM in really good shape for $375. I remember I paid $200 for a used one about 20 years ago when I last had an E24.

The ebay ones don’t sound so bad either. I have a body shop in the family, so painting it to mimic the OEM one doesn’t sound to bad.

My Cars
    81 euro 635, 4.4 X5
    Jose, I wonder if you can spray that stuff with a big tip or a body schutz gone or one of the guns for the 3M water based schutz. Probably save a lot of sanding as you could get one nice uniform coat on it.
    81 Euro undergoing total nut and bolt restoration
    pictures at: flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos

My Cars
    1987 M6
    You can definitely spray with a bigger gun. Dipyourcar.com sells the stuff by the gallon, and they just use something like a Wagner power sprayer when doing whole cars.

Provided the substrate is smooth, the Plasti-dip us perfectly smooth. Although even the spray can gives great results. It sheets to a matte finish.

José
    1987 M6
    Livin the dream!