Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Same coolant leak after replacing water pump and thermostat

My Cars
    01 540ia
    Well, here's what it looks like under the spark plug cover... oil in the spark plug well, and I'm guessing the freeze plugs? So should I go ahead with that blue devil or try and fix it myself. Would the head and valve cover gaskets only cost around $150 together? Any tips or links you guys can provide would be great, I'm going to proably put off the leak for now seeing as this is gonna be a lengthy repair now.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, forgot the pictures, didn't actually remove the spark plug but what's the point, I already know there's oil in there

IMG_3709.jpgIMG_3708.jpgIMG_3706.jpg

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Man, I suggest you calm down and realize there's several thigns wrong at once here. The oil in the spark plugs it's the valve cover gasket. The blue devil won't fix that. You have a major coolant leak, a valve cover oil leak which is common and you don't know how long's been that way. You need to focus on ONE thing now: find your coolant leak.
    Diehard E39 driver.
    I'd rather die or take a walk before driving an E60 or any BMW made after Y2K.
    ​"Your momma's so ugly she makes Bangle cars look nice"

My Cars
    1999 5281
    cant really see down in to the spark plug wells in the pics, but if you have any oil in the plug wells, thats the VCG leaking, the gaskets around the plug holes.

My Cars
    01 540ia
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    Man, I suggest you calm down and realize there's several thigns wrong at once here. The oil in the spark plugs it's the valve cover gasket. The blue devil won't fix that. You have a major coolant leak, a valve cover oil leak which is common and you don't know how long's been that way. You need to focus on ONE thing now: find your coolant leak.
    Yeah I was just freaking out because it's a lot of things going wrong at once, I'm going to order the valve cover gaskets since I obviously need to fix that, as for the leak I'll pour some distilled water in and see if it does come from that voltage regulator. Although, does anyone else have a radiator with a hose in place of a drain plug? How would I drain the water out afterwards, the hose seems like it would turn and disconnect but it just turns and won't pop off

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by fedisrico View Post
    Yeah I was just freaking out because it's a lot of things going wrong at once, I'm going to order the valve cover gaskets since I obviously need to fix that, as for the leak I'll pour some distilled water in and see if it does come from that voltage regulator. Although, does anyone else have a radiator with a hose in place of a drain plug? How would I drain the water out afterwards, the hose seems like it would turn and disconnect but it just turns and won't pop off
    All post 9/98 540i has that hose in lieu of the radiator plug. It's what feeds one end of the heat exchanger (coolant part of the exchanger).

You've got to disconect it from the exchanger (pull the clip, it's a quick connect hose like the radiator's) and then turn it and yank. It won't be super loose, you may have to wiggle it for a while.

Wait for the valve cover gaskets, it's not a major issue now. Solve the coolant leak then reward the car with the valve cover reseal.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    01 540ia
    Well, I went and poured an entire gallon of distilled water in, the voltage regulator area was completely dry, turns out I misremembered, because what was actually leaking, and has been for months was the oil pan. My first thought was that it must have been coming from above, but from where I could shine my light, i didn't see anything else dripping, I just replaced the water pump and t stat and gaskets a few days ago, and the car wasn't on when I poured the water in. It was a fast drip and then another drip formed on the pan, any ideas where I should check for leaks? There's been a small drip there for a while and I never had any white smoke or rough idle before, however the leak this time was very quick

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Are you shure it isn't coming from the coolant manifold in the back of the engine? or dripping from the heater core hoses and finding its way down the block and making it look like it's the oil pan? Also, the "regulator" has a side connection that mates to the steel/rubber line in front of the engine behind the water pump pulley, that would spit and gurgle right ontop of the upper oilpan casting.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    01 540ia
    Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    Are you shure it isn't coming from the coolant manifold in the back of the engine? or dripping from the heater core hoses and finding its way down the block and making it look like it's the oil pan? Also, the "regulator" has a side connection that mates to the steel/rubber line in front of the engine behind the water pump pulley, that would spit and gurgle right ontop of the upper oilpan casting.
    Would all of these be possible leaks with the engine off? And could someone provide a link to how to check the heater core hoses? Realoem isn't too clear on where they are/ I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The side connection is #6 in this diagram I'm assuming http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2267

I'll check all of these tomorrow when it's at least above 0 and I don't freeze in my leaky garage

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    yes, all possible leaks just with filling up the system.

My money is on the transmission heat exchanger since day zero. You'd have checked it by now, it takes 4 8mm hex head bolts, undo the porkchop, remove 3 13mm hex nuts and drop the exchanger.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    1999 5281
    i think it was previously suggested to pressure test the system , pump it up to pressure and see where its coming from.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Would all of these be possible leaks with the engine off? And could someone provide a link to how to check the heater core hoses? Realoem isn't too clear on where they are/ I'm not sure what I'm looking at. The side connection is #6 in this diagram I'm assuming http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2267

I'll check all of these tomorrow when it's at least above 0 and I don't freeze in my leaky garage
    Figures.... your garage is just as leaky as your BMW.
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Figures.... your garage is just as leaky as your BMW.

Enviado desde mi SM-N920G mediante Tapatalk
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    01 540ia
    Still a small leak going this morning, but it didn't lose the entire gallon of water I poured yesterday, I got under and the hose you said that runs over the oil pan did seem wet, but so was everything else. I'll wait until tomorrow when it's warmer and I have help to take everything off in order to see the hose properly and get under the car while someone pours the water in. On a side note, the car has been covered in road salt and grime for 2.5 weeks now, how long till rust starts...

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    So..... it’s freezing cold where you’re at, you are filling the cooling system up with straight H2O?

My Cars
    01 540ia
    So..... it’s freezing cold where you’re at, you are filling the cooling system up with straight H2O?
    At least ice won't leak

My Cars
    1999 5281
    does expand though due to crystallization

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner!
    more like ding ding crack!
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    e24e30e36e39e90
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
    might get a pressure tester (loaner or cheap rental from a local parts house), pressurize the system and see where its coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by sienayr View Post
    'nuff said
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmar1 View Post
    i think it was previously suggested to pressure test the system , pump it up to pressure and see where its coming from.
    wtf man what part of this don't you understand?? are there no parts stores near you where you can get a pressure tester?? Seriously distilled water? Good luck.

My Cars
    00 M5 | 03 540i | 94 NSX
    Pressure tester rental is free (well, you front the cost of the tool as a deposit and get it all back when you return it) at pretty much every big name parts store.

My Cars
    Two 2003 540i6 Msports
    At least ice won't leak
    OK, this car is not for you. Just back away and gimme the keys...
    I do not believe in a risk free society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existence. Nick Ienatsch

The law does NOT determine "right" from "wrong". They are unrelated.

If you put cheap parts on your car, you will soon have a cheap parts car.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    He’s still scratching his head....

My Cars
    '97 523i5 - 99' 540iA
    He’s still scratching his head....
    Judging by his ability to follow instructions, he might be sratching elsewhere.
    Diehard E39 driver.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    I’m scratching my head as to how anyone could ever have as many issues as he has had in the past with his car, based on his past threads.

My Cars
    01 540ia
    It's called a joke guys, nothing froze. Anyways...I'm pretty sure I found the leak, I didn't connect hose #9 to the water pump properly, it jiggled around very easily and there was still a sliver of the water pump end visible, as well as some coolant around the rim of the connection. I'm going to put everything back together and pour in some more coolant, I'm sure the leak will be gone.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_2267

If all leaks are gone I'm going to go ahead and flush the system, I'm going to take off the engine block coolant screw from the right (passenger) side, I can't get enough leverage at the moment to get it loose, does anyone have a diagram of the heat shield mounting points? I can't get a good look around

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast