Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations MKIV Nav System Retrofit 1996 740iL

My Cars
    '96 740 iL, '02 525i

Recommendations MKIV Nav System Retrofit 1996 740iL

Doing a bunch of research on these things and it'll be a little bit of work to retrofit my Non-DSP 740iL and it looks like BimmerNav has everything. However, they are indeed a bit pricey and I'd buy the harness and mounting system from them. In reading other Forums Software Version 27 or better seems to be the ticket. ROM updates, Maps Through 2015 are available, and Coding Instructions

I am seeing references to a system that is made by Alpine that is compatible but without the DVD drive. Is this correct? The Info on this is sketchy

I believe because of the integration with the existing systems the MKIV seems to be the solution

Suggestions? Pitfalls? Experience of those doing similar Retrofits
    "Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!" - Londo Mollari & "You see but you do not observe." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - When the pin is pulled Mr Grenade is not your friend. - Unknown

Current Rides
    • '96 E38 740il "007" or "the Green Beast"- Chassis 340k miles Engine & Tranny 50k miles
    • '07 Toyota Tacoma 125k miles SR5 Prerunner in Texas it's just "The Car"
    • '02 E39 525i 108k Miles Wife's ride "Ladyhawke"

Past Rides
    • '80 Mercedes 240D "Bonnie Blue" - 415k miles still going somewhere... 0-60 in 5 minutes
    • RIP - '91 E30 325i "the Tank" or the "pocket Rocket" 215k miles & '92 Toyota Camry LE V6 put 212k "Pegasus"
    • Good Riddance - '85 Audi 5000 - Stupidest Dumbest buy I ever Made. I should've bought the 524td with the Cracked block instead!
    • '80 Toyota Corolla - "the Stealth Machine" - Drove it like I stole it - You always miss your first one

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    moved to E38 forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2003 540s, 2000 740s
    While I've never done a Nav retro-fit, it sure looks like a lot of work!
    Here's a DIY with pictures (but this 7 has DSP):
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/479497
    <== Steptronic Sealbeach740
    2000 740i sport: 74k Green/Tan chrome MPars, clear corners, quad brake lights, AIC hi-beams, Hoen fogs, 16x9 screen, MKIV, TFT LCD screen in back, license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, iPod audio/video (CDC/iPod audio switching, iPod video on 16x9 screen), Basslink, gauge rings, ///M pedals, switched steptronic +/- shifting mode, E46 paddle shifter steering wheel, Dinan engine & tranny software upgrade, DDEs controlled via Euro fog light switch, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, windows up/sunroof close via remote.

2003 540i sport: 81k, Sterling grey/grey, MKIV Nav, PDC & CWP - Added license plate backup camera with "on demand" switch, paddle shift steering wheel, windows up/sunroof close via remote, Akebono's, painted calipers with "BMW" lettering, quad brake lights, iPod audio via AUX mode/video via 16x9 screen, BMW TV tuner, ///M pedals & gauge rings.

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Here's my recommendation - don't do it. It's just not worth the time or effort. The electronics for the job are all old, and likely to fail in the near term. Maps are already 4 years old and never going to be updated again.

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    ^I tend to agree with this. I retrofitted my car back in 2010, which is now a whole 9 years ago now wow. At that time, the nav was still a decent alternative, since Google maps and stuff was still improving at the time and data was slow. Now, I use my phone for everything.

BUT...having the MKIV, BM53 and nav screen has let me integrate other newer factory tech into the BMW, such as factory Aux input, Bluetooth, Sirius satellite radio, and a TV module with backup camera. So, my guess is you won't be using it for nav, but if you want some of that other stuff factory integrated, then the retrofit may be useful. However, it is a whole lot of work. The only thing you should buy is the retrofit cable. Source everything else used. Otherwise you are wasting money. Spend as little as possible, otherwise, you can't justify doing the retrofit over an aftermarket touchscreen solution.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post

BUT...having the MKIV, BM53 and nav screen has let me integrate other newer factory tech into the BMW, such as factory Aux input, Bluetooth, Sirius satellite radio, and a TV module with backup camera. So, my guess is you won't be using it for nav, but if you want some of that other stuff factory integrated, then the retrofit may be useful. However, it is a whole lot of work. The only thing you should buy is the retrofit cable. Source everything else used. Otherwise you are wasting money. Spend as little as possible, otherwise, you can't justify doing the retrofit over an aftermarket touchscreen solution.
    I have all that stuff with a Mediabridge and a Video module. I don't even have the factory nav unit in my car anymore.

My Cars
    '96 740 iL, '02 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by racer2086 View Post
    ^I tend to agree with this. I retrofitted my car back in 2010, which is now a whole 9 years ago now wow. At that time, the nav was still a decent alternative, since Google maps and stuff was still improving at the time and data was slow. Now, I use my phone for everything.

I'm tending to agree that it's more useful for the other items as you noted of the Bluetooth, aux and camera. What I was concerned with was that if I totally replaced the tapedeck and radio that other functionality would be lost because it's not truly integrated into the system.

My real gap in knowledge is, so if I don't put in a MKIV (used) head and computer and just pick any double DIN in dash solution what functionality will I be screwing up or losing? Can't really find a definitive answer on that
    "Vir, intelligence has nothing to do with politics!" - Londo Mollari & "You see but you do not observe." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - When the pin is pulled Mr Grenade is not your friend. - Unknown

Current Rides
    • '96 E38 740il "007" or "the Green Beast"- Chassis 340k miles Engine & Tranny 50k miles

Past Rides
    • '80 Mercedes 240D "Bonnie Blue" - 415k miles still going somewhere... 0-60 in 5 minutes
    • RIP - '91 E30 325i "the Tank" or the "pocket Rocket" 215k miles & '92 Toyota Camry LE V6 put 212k "Pegasus"
    • Good Riddance - '85 Audi 5000 - Stupidest Dumbest buy I ever Made. I should've bought the 524td with the Cracked block instead!
    • '80 Toyota Corolla - "the Stealth Machine" - Drove it like I stole it - You always miss your first one

My Cars
    BLK 01 sp, 20 Trail Boss
    If you don't have dsp then why not install an upgraded and newer system something that has bluetooth, nav, something that a local stereo shop can install for way less money then the old and nearly obsolete BMW system ?. Usually more people are trying to figure a way to get out of the dsp stuff then into these days

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAtredes View Post
    ...if I don't put in a MKIV (used) head and computer and just pick any double DIN in dash solution what functionality will I be screwing up or losing?
    On your non-DSP '96, I doubt there's any factory functionality to lose. But you could easily update the radio to a factory CD43 (responds to steering wheel controls). If you later add a factory Bluetooth TCU, the CD43 displays "PHONE" and mutes audio during a call (call info should appear on MID). Another option: If I recall, some eBay sellers offer modified CD43's with embedded Bluetooth. All OBC functions should remain with your MID.

If you'd like a nav screen and seek complete factory integration, a Mk4 retrofit simply has no competitors...especially in terms of value (assuming you buy the necessary components used). Despite being from 2015, the maps are still very usable (you can add destinations completed after 2015 by using the "Destination Input Map" feature). I wouldn't touch an aftermarket E38 nav, nor would I ruin the look of your car with a double DIN aftermarket radio. It's likely to end up stolen anyway.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    '96 740 iL, '02 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    On your non-DSP '96, I doubt there's any factory functionality to lose. But you could easily update the radio to a factory CD43 (responds to steering wheel controls). If you later add a factory Bluetooth TCU, the CD43 displays "PHONE" and mutes audio during a call (call info should appear on MID). Another option: If I recall, some eBay sellers offer modified CD43's with embedded Bluetooth. All OBC functions should remain with your MID.

If you'd like a nav screen and seek complete factory integration, a Mk4 retrofit simply has no competitors...especially in terms of value (assuming you buy the necessary components used). Despite being from 2015, the maps are still very usable (you can add destinations completed after 2015 by using the "Destination Input Map" feature). I wouldn't touch an aftermarket E38 nav, nor would I ruin the look of your car with a double DIN aftermarket radio. It's likely to end up stolen anyway.
    You Are Probably Correct on the Integration Piece Here's what's installed.

Attachment 645317

Soooo Thinking out loud..... I think option "A" is what I'm going with The CD43 option was not something I realized I could do because I got Target Fixated... LOL. Wallet and Wife will be most happy with Less $$. The camera would be nice but not nearly as necessary as it is on my Toyota Tacoma. I'd be better off figuring out how to retro install a backup parking sensor setup... which if done would be waaaay down the list

Kind of writing this for others who look into this for the future :-)

A) $$ + not so much time - If I got a CD43 (used) I'd Ditch the Tape Deck and Keep the MID AND from Reading Still Be able to do the CD Deck in the Trunk. However, It seems I can get a USB Cable to Plug into the Unit and put 6 directories with 99 songs and emulate the CD player Cheap BUT Better get the adapter like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-M...m0F:rk:26:pf:0

For GPS I an just use my Phone and do what I do now just put it in front of the ODB

AND Maintain that Orange look that I love so much

B) $$$$$$ + Lots of Time - IF I'd Do the MKIV I'd replace everything and It would Replace the MID and the GPS will Get me Most places and I'd still need my Phone to get to those newer places since 2014 (figuring updates would be from then for the 2015) update add Bluetooth and more $$

C) There are some Single DIN Android Auto and/or GPS Units where the screen is retractable and can be hidden by the drop-down dash wood piece when not being used as a GPS that might have Merit

You've convinced me that unless somebody is going to Produce New Nav Disks I might as well just use the phone because Unless I'm in Poduck nowhere USA I'm going to still have to pull out the phone or use an on-dash GPS (I still have a Tom-Tom from my Deceased E30 with a "sandbag" mount that I could stow in the Back Seat Armrest when not in use) for updates to get the last few miles to my destination anyway or ask directions from someone who will not know themselves and pull out their phone to look it up LOL and then Give me strange Looks as to why I'm not using my phone. LOL
    Last edited by PaulAtredes; 02-08-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Current Rides

Past Rides

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    I did it lol it took me 8 hours to do the whole thing front to back just follow the directions on bimmerboard and you good to go
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    '96 740 iL, '02 525i
    Would this work? I keep Seeing the wider CD53 with virtually the same plug configuration. By Virtually it seems that it has two CD plugs on the back rather than one. The Extra with would have me remove the coin holder

Current Rides

Past Rides

My Cars
    '96 740 iL, '02 525i
    End Solution for Me. I purchased the GROM USB. Works Like a Charm, Install a snap and put the unit above the glovebox and the USB dongle in the Glove box. Got the Bluetooth Adapter and HD Radio Adapter. I'm going to try the HD for a month and see if I can pick up anything worthwhile. I'm just not going to Mount the Antenna in the windshield. Maybe if there is room in the headliner if there is room behind the garage remote but definitely not on the dash or on the windshield.

GROM has The Dashlinq App https://youtu.be/r_-wXGceQSc I just need to put a Mount somewhere for the phone (Probably In front of the ODB or just lay the Phone on the console in the same place) Have Navigation, tunes, hands-free calling, Works with the CD43 with Text on the Mid

To get here I tried the cheap $70 Solution from Ebay and it used a 17pin block to plug into the existing 17 pin block and ended up being no room for it in the dash. Limits you to 6 Discs (folders) on the USB with 99 tracks. Grom has None of these limitations. So if you are reading this thread just go for the GROM. It's 3x the cost but it works a LOT better and even for this cheap Scottish Bas**rd he saw the error of his ways once the GROM was in

Current Rides

Past Rides

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    End Solution for Me. I purchased the GROM USB. Works Like a Charm, Install a snap and put the unit above the glovebox and the USB dongle in the Glove box. Got the Bluetooth Adapter and HD Radio Adapter. I'm going to try the HD for a month and see if I can pick up anything worthwhile. I'm just not going to Mount the Antenna in the windshield. Maybe if there is room in the headliner if there is room behind the garage remote but definitely not on the dash or on the windshield.
    I think you made the right call. I only went with the Mediabridge because I could hook up my existing SiriusXM satellite radio to it. I haven't been too impressed with HD radio, I live a bit away from the nearest major radio market, and while I generally can pick up the analog signal just fine, the digital signal comes and goes, leading to annoying change in volume and clarity while driving around town.

My Cars
    1988 E24, 1997 E38 740iL
    in

what exactl model/partnumber did you get for your ‘96?... on the Grom website I only see stuff for the ‘98 and up.. I have a ‘97 and would love to do the same thing.. with your Grom hook up, do the steering wheel bottons work? Audio mutes with phone call and all that good stuff?..
    Pete

My Cars
    '96 740 iL, '02 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ConvGeorge View Post
    I think you made the right call. I only went with the Mediabridge because I could hook up my existing SiriusXM satellite radio to it. I haven't been too impressed with HD radio, I live a bit away from the nearest major radio market, and while I generally can pick up the analog signal just fine, the digital signal comes and goes, leading to annoying change in volume and clarity while driving around town.
    Yeh, I, Like you am a bit too far out and then the Antenna is specialized and requires special mounting & etc. Which is why I shoved it in the dashboard behind the glove box. And I drove into Houston a bit and no love so yep, going back. Oh well sometimes you gotta try stuff to find out they don't work... like the previously attempted solution

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerFlyer View Post
    what exactl model/partnumber did you get for your ‘96?... on the Grom website I only see stuff for the ‘98 and up.. I have a ‘97 and would love to do the same thing.. with your Grom hook up, do the steering wheel bottons work? Audio mutes with phone call and all that good stuff?..
    Pete
    The Key is the head unit. I replaced my CD23 tape unit with a CD43 unit. The USB3 will work fine with the CD 43. You have to buy the Bluetooth accessory and then everything you note works. Just the Plain Box won't give you anything but USB music

Current Rides

Past Rides

My Cars
    1988 E24, 1997 E38 740iL
    Yeh, I, Like you am a bit too far out and then the Antenna is specialized and requires special mounting & etc. Which is why I shoved it in the dashboard behind the glove box. And I drove into Houston a bit and no love so yep, going back. Oh well sometimes you gotta try stuff to find out they don't work... like the previously attempted solution

- - - Updated - - -

The Key is the head unit. I replaced my CD23 tape unit with a CD43 unit. The USB3 will work fine with the CD 43. You have to buy the Bluetooth accessory and then everything you note works. Just the Plain Box won't give you anything but USB music
    Cool,I have a CD 43 laying around from a ‘99 I parted out.. At least I think it is, have to go look... So the USB3 box with the Bluetooth will do all... I will order and report back..
    Pete

My Cars
    1988 E24, 1997 E38 740iL
    One more silly question, reading thru this thread again, I see yours is a non DSP... mine has DSP... do you think that switching to a CD43 affects the DSP?
    I did look, thought I had one laying around, but it was a C43 tapedeck..
    pete

My Cars
    99 IL/13 SXT/04 Audi A4
    One more silly question, reading thru this thread again, I see yours is a non DSP... mine has DSP... do you think that switching to a CD43 affects the DSP?
    I did look, thought I had one laying around, but it was a C43 tapedeck..
    pete

No its PLUG and Play make sure you have the CD43 code to the radio
    El Cid 1999 IL
    DUDMD Tune/DINAN CAI/19 in Style 95 Rims/Bilstein's Shocks/Eibach Lowering Springs/OEM Folding Mirrors/Custom Cupholder/Custom Wood Sunshade/Sport Steering Wheel/Euro Center Console/Leather Shifter/Rearview Camera /Luke Custom 10 in Sub Box/Cross Drilled Rotors/Rear view Camera/BMW OEM Monitors/BMW E38 Picnic Tables/Vanity Headrests/OEM Roof Rack/Strut Bar/Dinan MAF and Dinan Throttle Body and Dinan tunning /BM53 Radio upgrade /Custom Innovadrive NXG39 modify and Alpine ILX-W650 touch screen radio.

My Cars
    1988 E24, 1997 E38 740iL
    Quote Originally Posted by franco90 View Post
    No its PLUG and Play make sure you have the CD43 code to the radio
    Great, I will get on ordering some parts and pieces......
    Pete

My Cars
    '96 740 iL, '02 525i
    Cool,I have a CD 43 laying around from a ‘99 I parted out.. At least I think it is, have to go look... So the USB3 box with the Bluetooth will do all... I will order and report back..
    Pete
    and the CD doesn't even need to work. Just the Brains!

I'm going to return the HD Antenna. With the App I can get the HD stations on the Cell Phone and play the right through the Grom so unless you are in a metro area with close proximity and you are going to be using the HD along then don't waste the time or money. Besides with the Cell phone tied in you can listen to tunes, stored on the phone, played through the phone or on a USB stick. Well with a 30-day return I'm just out return shipping on that.

Current Rides

Past Rides

My Cars
    1988 E24, 1997 E38 740iL
    If any one cares , I did indeed purchase a CD 43 from German Audio Tech, showed up in great condition WITH code..was 100 % plug and play.. works fine with the MID, they both display the radio station... change one, and the other changes with it..i do think it actually sounds significantly better, not sure if that is mental or not, but noticed it right away... I think it actually looks better then before, with the top of the panel lit up, reminds me of the early days on my career..
    Next thing will be trying to figure out if either GROM, or something like the new Bluebus for getting Iphone/ Bluetooth capability....need to figure out what is going to be easier and better.. really would not mind a auxport/ USB up front..
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    That King stack won't fit in your E38 tho. And it's missing a KNS80 RNAV....with all of 4 programmable waypoints!

But yeah, the CD43 is the best factory head unit.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    98 750iL, 01 740iL
    for those of us with MK1s and the early CD changers, i don't think GROM can work...

My Cars
    1988 E24, 1997 E38 740iL
    That King stack won't fit in your E38 tho. And it's missing a KNS80 RNAV....with all of 4 programmable waypoints!

But yeah, the CD43 is the best factory head unit.
    We were all fancy with a KNS 81 and all of 10 points... and a printout with all the waypoint/ bearing/distance calculations..Ahhh the good old days.... We were in heaven with the first Lorans...
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast