Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: 2002 E46 30-pin connector to Bluetooth adapter questions

My Cars
    2002 M3 convertible

2002 E46 30-pin connector to Bluetooth adapter questions

I know there are a lot of similar threads already, but I didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I recently purchased a 2002 M3. It has a USA Spec iPod PA12 interface already installed. It's mounted under the driver's seat, and there is an old-style 30-pin cable at the center console. Obviously, the 30-pin connector is outdated. My first thought was just to get a 30-pin to lightning adapter so I can plug my phone in directly to stream music. But then I thought it would be much nicer to use Bluetooth so when my phone is in the cradle mounted on the windshield I don't have a big cable running to it.

So that brings me to my question--- does anybody have any experience with the 30-pin Bluetooth adapters? The first one I ran across was by CoolStream and it sells for $29. But in the description it recommends the CarPro version if connecting to a BMW. That one goes for $70. Any opinions on whether the extra $40 is worth it? Is that model required in order to get song titles to display on the factory radio or something?

Or is there another product/brand altogether that I should be looking for? There's no aux kit installed, and I'd rather not install one since the car already has the USA Spec device under the seat. So I'm trying to stick with something that connects to the 30-pin connector rather than USB or a jack.

I wouldn't mind having a device that also supports hands-free phone calls since that's the law in Georgia now. But hands-free calling isn't absolutely necessary. I can just use the speaker phone if I need to in a pinch. The main goal is streaming music.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Go to the GROM website to see Bluetooth solutions for your car. That company seems to have great solutions. As far as power, you’ll still need a cable to recharge your phone.