Thread: OBD Emissions Testing

My Cars
    2007 328i

OBD Emissions Testing

Hi experts,

I have a 2007 328i sedan with only 55k miles that is due for emissions testing. It runs really well with no issues and no check engine lights are on. There haven’t been any major repairs and it has all its original parts. It was last serviced at a dealer in November and everything looked fine.

Here is the issue, I took it to 2 different emission testing stations and the same thing happened at both locations. When they connect it to the on board diagnostics and perform their test, the engine shuts off and a check engine light comes on. This aborts the emissions test and they have no clue what happened. They restarted the test and same thing happened again. I didn’t pass or fail the test, they just told me to try it at a different station. After the test when I turn the engine on, everything looks fine no check engine light, etc.

At home I used an OBD generic scan tool, it shows no error codes, no connection issues - everything looks fine. Any ideas what could be causing this issue with the OBD testing or anyone ran into something similar? Some issue with electronics or the connector?

My Cars
    2011 328i M Sport Wagon
    Not sure if this applies as your car is over 8 years old.....

https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-arti...verlooked.html

"Specified major emission control components are generally covered for 8 years / 80,000 miles from when the vehicle is first put into service, whichever comes first and regardless of ownership. The specified major emissions control components covered by this warranty are specified in the Clean Air Act and are the only components subject to this warranty. The specified major emission control components only include the catalytic converters, the electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU) and related emissions-related software, and the onboard emissions diagnostic (OBD) device or computer. Some manufacturers may cover additional components. For details, consult your vehicle's warranty manual."

The other option for me in CA was a state inspection station. They have the authority to do different tests and pass cars a local shop cannot. I had an E46 that the DME would not "ready" for testing. The state inspector was able to pass it. Later I had the DME flashed with later software and the issue was resolved. As 2007 is an early E9X model, later year software may be improved and a DME update may be available. I just guessing though.
    Last edited by jmecmore; 02-04-2019 at 04:30 PM.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I would go to a BMW shop have them plug in there scanners and see what happens

My Cars
    2007 328i
    I passed the emissions test today! Took it to my local shop and they confirmed everything looks good and car is ready for testing. They actually took my car to the emissions testing station. When the issue came up again during the test, the inspector remembered a workaround to hit the F2 button multiple times and the test completed. It sounds weird but I am glad it passed, the best part is the shop didn't charge me for their time!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    That's the kind of shop to go to, let them do your next service