Thread: Stuttering under acceleration

My Cars
    E30 325i

Stuttering under acceleration

My 1989 325i is sputtering and popping like crazy when i accelerate. I dont know what is causing it. It runs fine for 5 minutes after starting from cold, and then after that 5 minutes it starts to have problems. It idles fairly ok, varies by about 200 rpm. It is absolutely undrivable and has no power. There is fuel in the tank

Recently done jobs:
    1. Crankcase to intake manifold breather tube fix, it was leaking so i took off manifold and put new seals and adjusted the breather tube. Did not use new intake gaskets as i had changed them very recently.
    2. Changed fuel filter

When changing that breather tube, i took the entire manifold off. This means all the hoses connecting to throttle body, and various plugs. I also had to take the fuel regulator off.

It sounds as if more than one cylinder is not running properly, so my suspicion is a fuel problem.
    Could the fuel regulator be at fault?

Thanks,
    Manu
    Last edited by Kumarv; 02-11-2019 at 10:31 PM.

My Cars
    1994 BMW E36 M3 Eu Coupe
    I have a similar problem but it is intermittent. Sometimes acts like an air leak and other times fine. Checked vacuum hoses even used gasket maker on hard connections. Need to check/replace hoses to brake booster and charcoal filter.

Plus can idle anywhere from 650 to 900. Have sprayed icv with carb clean but no change. Unplugging results in idle increasing but then settles back down.

Was going to change fuel filter also as idk when last done.

Sorry if I’m hijacking your post will follow with interest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    check that crank sensor, on the front of the engine.

also, under your intake manifold, did you have the connector that hooks your fuel injector harness to the main harness? a round one? peel back the rubber boots around that connector. you might have really bad corrosion and some broken wires. that is what happened to my 89 old 325i when I first got it
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    E30 325i
    Thanks for the reply, one of my crank sensors broke and the plug is cracked, so I'll start there, I'm unsure about the harness for the fuel injector but I know that the coolant temp sensor that goes to the fuel rail is broken.

My Cars
    I would replace the crank sensor, they are still available. I think you can get the coolant plug also but I have never gotten annoyed enough with my broken temp plug that replaces it. I just put the wires on the sensor

My Cars
    E30 325i
    so i swapped my coolant sensors at it is not stuttering anymore. When it warms up, it does stutter at idle ~700 rpm, i will increase that, and at around 2g rpm. Gonna track that down too, i will change spark plugs as i have gone back to my old ones in suspicion that the new ones caused the previous stuttering.

My Cars
    E30 325i
    it has started to stutter again, but only when starting from cold

My Cars
    how about that boot on the fuel injection harness? you will see it under the intake manifold if you take off the afm and its boot. you can see it with those on but you cannot check it with them in place, easily
    No e30s again.